How do you get your internet fix? Poll OT, etc

Old August 19th 08, 12:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

Default How do you get your internet fix? Poll OT, etc

Yeah, I know, it is none of my business, but I read somewhere that most
people get their internet through their cable company and on broadband. So
I'm asking. Rob's parents have Comcast broadband through their satellite
company. We have Earthlink broadband through our cable company, Time Warner
cable. I didn't want Road Runner, and did want to keep EarthStink. SO, how
do you get your net fix and what would you recommend to those who might want
to switch?

Pam S. Butcher of Peace

Old August 19th 08, 12:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

tanadashoes wrote:
cable. I didn't want Road Runner, and did want to keep EarthStink. SO, how
do you get your net fix and what would you recommend to those who might want
to switch?

We have Road Runner (broadband cable), other than the price, we're quite
happy with it.
According to http://www.speedtest.net/, we're doing ok in terms of speed:
7113 kb/s download
513 kb/s upload

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old August 19th 08, 12:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep ©

tanadashoes wrote:
Yeah, I know, it is none of my business, but I read somewhere that most
people get their internet through their cable company and on broadband. So
I'm asking. Rob's parents have Comcast broadband through their satellite
company. We have Earthlink broadband through our cable company, Time Warner
cable. I didn't want Road Runner, and did want to keep EarthStink. SO, how
do you get your net fix and what would you recommend to those who might want
to switch?

Pam S. Butcher of Peace

Broadband through our cable company, Comcrap. Strange thing is, for TV,
we have satellite (DirecTV)with DVR (TiVo). Landline telephone through
Vonage.

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY

Old August 19th 08, 01:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

In article ,
"tanadashoes" wrote:

Yeah, I know, it is none of my business, but I read somewhere that most
people get their internet through their cable company and on broadband. So
I'm asking. Rob's parents have Comcast broadband through their satellite
company. We have Earthlink broadband through our cable company, Time Warner
cable. I didn't want Road Runner, and did want to keep EarthStink. SO, how
do you get your net fix and what would you recommend to those who might want
to switch?

Pam S. Butcher of Peace

Since I work for the ISP group at the phone company, I get my phone
service for 1/2 off and my DSL for free. All of my surfing at home is
done on the Mac laptop the office assigned me, via WiFi connection to
the DSL.

During the day I surf from my desk at work (yes, I'm even bad and check
RPCA and RPCC during working hours), via 100 Mbit ethernet connection to
our multi-gigabit fiber links.
Old August 19th 08, 01:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"tanadashoes" wrote in message
Yeah, I know, it is none of my business, but I read somewhere that most
people get their internet through their cable company and on broadband.
So I'm asking. Rob's parents have Comcast broadband through their
satellite company. We have Earthlink broadband through our cable company,
Time Warner cable. I didn't want Road Runner, and did want to keep
EarthStink. SO, how do you get your net fix and what would you recommend
to those who might want to switch?

Pam S. Butcher of Peace

I have Comcast - they bought out Roadrunner. All they've done is raised
prices and reduced service - the darn thing goes out every time it drizzles
outside (and they have the nerve to accuse Dish of that very thing)! But
it's still faster than DSL, so I guess we're stuck with it.

Nose Kisses,

CatNipped

Old August 19th 08, 02:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Aug 18, 6:18�pm, "tanadashoes" wrote:
Yeah, I know, it is none of my business, but I read somewhere that most
people get their internet through their cable company and on broadband. �So
I'm asking. �Rob's parents have Comcast broadband through their satellite
company. �We have Earthlink broadband through our cable company, Time Warner
cable. �I didn't want Road Runner, and did want to keep EarthStink. �SO, how
do you get your net fix and what would you recommend to those who might want
to switch?

Pam S. Butcher of Peace

We have broadband through a rinky-dink new little company that put
their antenna on
top of the town's water tower :-) They're pretty reliable so far
though, and it was a step up
from dial-up through the phone company. I just use the AOL free e-
mail, since I'd had
the same e-mail address for about 14 years.
I checked with DirectTV about internet. They wanted a $600 equipment
charge. Too much.
We're paying $29.95 a month to the little local company.
Only problem is every time it storms the internet goes out, but
they're improving on that, too.
But DirectTV goes out every time it rains, too.

Sherry
Old August 19th 08, 02:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 19:18:56 -0400, tanadashoes wrote:

Yeah, I know, it is none of my business, but I read somewhere that most
people get their internet through their cable company and on broadband.
So I'm asking. Rob's parents have Comcast broadband through their
satellite company. We have Earthlink broadband through our cable company,
Time Warner cable. I didn't want Road Runner, and did want to keep
EarthStink. SO, how do you get your net fix and what would you recommend
to those who might want to switch?

For big stuff (Linux distros, Open Office, etc.) I sneakernet from the
office (*big* pipe). At home the choices are dialup (300-3000 bps) or
satellite, WildBlue in my case. It's expensive, fails when it rains hard
(and other times when it's just humid), and the service is terrible,
especially with respect to DNS that go on strike from time to time and
can't find sites. It's better than the dialup ... a *lot* better. The
dish is mounted on the west end of my house just above head level, and the
cables provide useful places to hang a hummingbird feeder (there are
*clouds* of them here - they drain over four pints of sugar water from six
feeders every day). I have pictures if anyone is interested:
http://67.54.230.58:9000/tdavis/misc.pictures/hummers/
(IMG_4911-straight.jpg is huge; IMG_4911-bird.jpg is choice).

--

T.E.D. ) MST (Missouri University of Science and Technology)
used to be UMR (University of Missouri - Rolla).

Old August 19th 08, 04:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sam

tanadashoes wrote:
Yeah, I know, it is none of my business, but I read somewhere that most
people get their internet through their cable company and on broadband. So
I'm asking. Rob's parents have Comcast broadband through their satellite
company. We have Earthlink broadband through our cable company, Time Warner
cable. I didn't want Road Runner, and did want to keep EarthStink. SO, how
do you get your net fix and what would you recommend to those who might want
to switch?

Pam S. Butcher of Peace

I've got Qwest DSL (1.5Mb down; 768Kb up). ISP is a smallish local
company, but for reliability they can't be beat. (2 outages 4 hours
in 7 years). Ain't got no cable (TV or otherwise), happy (mostly)
DishNetwork customer for TV. Firewall rules prevent checking RPCA at
work - that's why I'm always late checking in.

Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe
Old August 19th 08, 04:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_4_]

"tanadashoes" wrote in message
Yeah, I know, it is none of my business, but I read somewhere that most
people get their internet through their cable company and on broadband.
So I'm asking. Rob's parents have Comcast broadband through their
satellite company. We have Earthlink broadband through our cable company,
Time Warner cable. I didn't want Road Runner, and did want to keep
EarthStink. SO, how do you get your net fix and what would you recommend
to those who might want to switch?

Pam S. Butcher of Peace

I need to change, too. I have Comcast via cable and I had them give me a
low price comparable to Verizon for a year until they found it out and
decided my cost was a promotion. Now I pay ~$46 a month and many I know pay
less for broadband but I don't want to bundle. I have DirecTV and I don't
have a long distance plan because I use my TracFone when I need to pay for
LD. Same price for minutes whether it's local or LD.