How do you get your internet fix? Poll OT, etc

Old August 19th 08, 04:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_4_]

Default How do you get your internet fix? Poll OT, etc

"Ted Davis" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 19:18:56 -0400, tanadashoes wrote:

Yeah, I know, it is none of my business, but I read somewhere that most
people get their internet through their cable company and on broadband.
So I'm asking. Rob's parents have Comcast broadband through their
satellite company. We have Earthlink broadband through our cable
company,
Time Warner cable. I didn't want Road Runner, and did want to keep
EarthStink. SO, how do you get your net fix and what would you recommend
to those who might want to switch?

For big stuff (Linux distros, Open Office, etc.) I sneakernet from the
office (*big* pipe).

But sneakernet is using a diskette or CD to transfer ... walking a transfer
from one place to another? It doesn't compute for me.

At home the choices are dialup (300-3000 bps) or
satellite, WildBlue in my case. It's expensive, fails when it rains hard
(and other times when it's just humid), and the service is terrible,
especially with respect to DNS that go on strike from time to time and
can't find sites. It's better than the dialup ... a *lot* better. The
dish is mounted on the west end of my house just above head level, and the
cables provide useful places to hang a hummingbird feeder (there are
*clouds* of them here - they drain over four pints of sugar water from six
feeders every day). I have pictures if anyone is interested:
http://67.54.230.58:9000/tdavis/misc.pictures/hummers/
(IMG_4911-straight.jpg is huge; IMG_4911-bird.jpg is choice).

I have a family that comes back year after year. They show up before I'm
even ready and buzz around the Sheppard's hook that I hang the feeder on and
it reminds me I have to get it out and get ready for a summer of cleaning
and refilling. They've been more active here this year more than other
years. I think they're just getting used to the feeder being here. They
still haven't learned to share.

Old August 19th 08, 05:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"tanadashoes" wrote in message
Yeah, I know, it is none of my business, but I read somewhere that
most people get their internet through their cable company and on
broadband. So I'm asking. Rob's parents have Comcast broadband
through their satellite company. We have Earthlink broadband
through our cable company, Time Warner cable. I didn't want Road
Runner, and did want to keep EarthStink. SO, how do you get your
net fix and what would you recommend to those who might want to
switch?

Pam S. Butcher of Peace

Don't have cable. Direct TV instead.

The computer is on a DSL line provided by AT&T. The DSL is an extra
$20 on the phone bill a month.

I hate AT&T but that has nothing to do with this line. I haven't had
any problems to speak of in quite a while.

Jo

Old August 19th 08, 07:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

tanadashoes wrote:
Yeah, I know, it is none of my business, but I read somewhere that most
people get their internet through their cable company and on broadband. So
I'm asking. Rob's parents have Comcast broadband through their satellite
company. We have Earthlink broadband through our cable company, Time Warner
cable. I didn't want Road Runner, and did want to keep EarthStink. SO, how
do you get your net fix and what would you recommend to those who might want
to switch?

Pam S. Butcher of Peace

I use my cable company's broadband service at home. At work, the
university has its own servers, and my department has its own. I can
choose to use either one (and like Dan, I sneak a peek at rpca during
the day. I have to take a break once in a while, and what coyuld be more
relaxing than reading about cats?).

On the island I had a USB modem that connected to the mobile phone
network. It was slower than promised, but it did work. Brought back
memories of dial-up, though. :P

Old August 19th 08, 07:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

tanadashoes wrote:
Yeah, I know, it is none of my business, but I read somewhere that
most people get their internet through their cable company and on
broadband. So I'm asking.
what would you recommend to those who might want to switch?

Pam S. Butcher of Peace

I connect using broadband via Comcast here at Mom's. I have DSL through
AT&T back home. I prefer DSL. With a UPS (uninterrupted power supply) and
DSL I'm not offline during a power outage But seriously, my broadband
connection frequently drops its tcp/ip connection. It's always restored
within a few seconds and is probably due to where I am but it's still
annoying. I'd have gone with DSL here too except it would have required
having a phone jack installed.

Jill

Old August 19th 08, 01:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 23:34:55 -0400, Cheryl wrote:

"Ted Davis" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 19:18:56 -0400, tanadashoes wrote:

Yeah, I know, it is none of my business, but I read somewhere that most
people get their internet through their cable company and on broadband.
So I'm asking. Rob's parents have Comcast broadband through their
satellite company. We have Earthlink broadband through our cable
company,
Time Warner cable. I didn't want Road Runner, and did want to keep
EarthStink. SO, how do you get your net fix and what would you
recommend to those who might want to switch?

For big stuff (Linux distros, Open Office, etc.) I sneakernet from the
office (*big* pipe).

But sneakernet is using a diskette or CD to transfer ... walking a
transfer from one place to another? It doesn't compute for me.

These days it usually means a flash drive or portable hard drive - I carry
1 and 4 gigabyte flash drives and an 80 GB portable HDD.

The question was "how do we get our Internet fix?" I get part of it at
work through a really high speed fiber link - of course, it's shared, in
season, with several thousand other people.

snip

I have a family that comes back year after year. They show up before
I'm even ready and buzz around the Sheppard's hook that I hang the
feeder on and it reminds me I have to get it out and get ready for a
summer of cleaning and refilling. They've been more active here this
year more than other years. I think they're just getting used to the
feeder being here. They still haven't learned to share.

They are territorial - sharing is something they aren't equipped to do. I
think there are about thirty of them with claims staked out in the same
large oak tree. I think they had a *very* successful reproductive season
since most of the ones I see up close are not mature males.

--
T.E.D. )

Old August 19th 08, 01:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Wayne Mitchell

"tanadashoes" wrote:

SO, how do you get your net fix

DSL from local small independent telco, $29.95/mo, 1250 kbps down and
320 up. Almost no outages in four years and never a significant
drop-off in speed. I could get Roadrunner with my cable package for $5
less, but I've never been really attracted.
--

Wayne M.
Old August 19th 08, 02:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

tanadashoes wrote:
Yeah, I know, it is none of my business, but I read somewhere that
most people get their internet through their cable company and on
broadband. So I'm asking. Rob's parents have Comcast broadband
through their satellite company. We have Earthlink broadband through
our cable company, Time Warner cable. I didn't want Road Runner, and
did want to keep EarthStink. SO, how do you get your net fix and
what would you recommend to those who might want to switch?

Pam S. Butcher of Peace

No cable where I am, I get ADSL over the phone line. I think that's the
commonest method in the UK.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old August 19th 08, 02:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Victor Martinez wrote:
tanadashoes wrote:
cable. I didn't want Road Runner, and did want to keep EarthStink. SO,
how do you get your net fix and what would you recommend to
those who might want to switch?

We have Road Runner (broadband cable), other than the price, we're
quite happy with it.
According to http://www.speedtest.net/, we're doing ok in terms of
speed: 7113 kb/s download
513 kb/s upload

Not quite as quick here, the same test gives me:
6105 kb/s download
316 kb/s upload
Which is OK by me.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old August 19th 08, 07:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=`[_2_]

"Sherry"
On Aug 18, 6:18?pm, "tanadashoes"
Yeah, I know, it is none of my business, but I read somewhere that most
people get their internet through their cable company and on broadband.
?So
I'm asking. ?Rob's parents have Comcast broadband through their satellite
company. ?We have Earthlink broadband through our cable company, Time
Warner
cable. ?I didn't want Road Runner, and did want to keep EarthStink. ?SO,
how
do you get your net fix and what would you recommend to those who might
want
to switch?

Pam S. Butcher of Peace

We have broadband through a rinky-dink new little company that put
their antenna on
top of the town's water tower :-) They're pretty reliable so far
though, and it was a step up
from dial-up through the phone company. I just use the AOL free e-
mail, since I'd had
the same e-mail address for about 14 years.
I checked with DirectTV about internet. They wanted a $600 equipment
charge. Too much.
We're paying $29.95 a month to the little local company.
Only problem is every time it storms the internet goes out, but
they're improving on that, too.
But DirectTV goes out every time it rains, too.

Sherry

Comcast won't go thru a sattelite, it has to be a cable box inside.
We were thinking of going thry Direct TV too, but decided against it.
HTH
Hugs
Kyla

Old August 19th 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"tanadashoes" wrote in
:

Yeah, I know, it is none of my business, but I read somewhere that
most people get their internet through their cable company and on
broadband. So I'm asking. Rob's parents have Comcast broadband
through their satellite company. We have Earthlink broadband through
our cable company, Time Warner cable. I didn't want Road Runner, and
did want to keep EarthStink. SO, how do you get your net fix and what
would you recommend to those who might want to switch?

Pam S. Butcher of Peace

Cable co (cablevision)