Drinking from toilet

Old July 3rd 03, 07:05 PM

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 05:45:34 GMT, Laura A. Robinson
wrote:

circa Wed, 02 Jul 2003 17:37:24 GMT, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
) said,
Why does Pericles want to drink from the toilet?
He gets fresh water in his bowl every morning; sometimes twice a day.

He does have some weird drinking habits. In the morning when
he's let out, he licks dew off the grass. It's rather cute to see.
If I can get organized, I'll take some pictures.

But this toilet bit has me somewhat annoyed. We usually keep
the lid down anyway, for aesthetic reasons, but if we forget, he's in
there!

Anybody else? Any ideas why?

Because he's a cat. And it's "fresh" water bleurk. I have two cats
who drink out of the toilet regularly. It's cool, it's oxygenated,
and they dig it, yucky as it is to think about.

OK, everybody, appreciate the input. Mildly comforting to
know that I. Am. Not. Alone. g

1. "fresh" water in toilet bowl ??? It's only "fresh" the
minute after the toilet has been flushed. Depending on the size of
the household, it might be only several times a day.

2. I will try moving the bowl away from the food, though it's hard to
understand the cat's "thinking" in this regard.

3. Maybe I will look into the "drip" arrangements that are sold in
pet stores, if they don't involve expensive plumbing.

Thanks to all.

--

Polar
Old July 3rd 03, 10:58 PM
Hugh Jass

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 14:10:50 -0400, Joe Canuck

Why does Pericles want to drink from the toilet?
He gets fresh water in his bowl every morning; sometimes twice a day.

He has discovered it as a source of water is likely the reason...
probably views it as a very large drinking bowl.

As you mentioned you keep the lid down... I do the same to avoid another
source for possible digestive tract upset. I've got one of those pet
fountains that she just loves.

Balderdash! It took years of training to get the wife to leave it up.