How time flies - original message when I was adopting Duffy

Old July 28th 12, 11:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

Default How time flies - original message when I was adopting Duffy

How time flies – and what a difference it makes. I was looking through some
old files and came across this one. It is the opening paragraph of my very
first message concerning Duffy, filed on Jan. 27, 2003. Those of you who
have been following my messages know that adopting Duffy was one of the best
decisions I have ever made. He is pure delight, and my description of him
at the shelter as “scruffy and unkempt and thin” is as far as you can get
from Duffy today. As for Holly, I could no longer describe her as “my black
tornado.” She and Duffy get along beautifully. She even goes to the
kitchen door and looks for Duffy when I am calling them for dinner. That’s
when they haven’t gone on ahead are waiting for me, that is.

Holly and I are getting a new companion. His name is Duffy, and he is a
special needs cat. I saw Duffy’s picture on Petfinder and noticed that he
is blind. His picture just tugged at my heart-strings. He had been at the
shelter, adopted and kept for almost two years, then returned. I called the
shelter and asked why he had been returned to them. It seems that Duffy
(even though blind) managed to get to the woman’s pet birds and killed one.
I couldn’t believe it! Wouldn’t you think that anyone with any sense at all
would know to keep a cat separate from birds?? [I l later talked to the
director of the shelter, and she said the woman who had adopted Duffy also
claimed that he was teaching her sighted cats to get to the birds – as if
cats needed that type of training.] Anyway, I made arrangements to see him;
and when I did I was so afraid that he would never be adopted. He looks so
scruffy and unkempt and thin. But he seems absolutely sweet and almost
desperate for attention. He stayed in my lap and head-butted me the whole
time, often lifting his little nose up to my face. So now I have a new
adoptee. My one concern is for my cat Holly. She is an “only child” (7-1/2
years old) and is spoiled beyond belief. So far, she has shown real dislike
for other cats. However, I have talked to Megan at great length about this,
and she has been wonderful about helping me with information. She and I
both believe that this will work out if I am very patient and take quite a
long time before introducing them. I have a lot of space, so that will not
a problem. I am going to continue to give Holly the run of the house so she
won’t feel rejected. I will start out with Duffy in the guest bedroom with
food, water, toys, scratching post, litter box – and lots of “quality time”
with me. Megan suggested that I be sure to give Holly lots of extra loving
and treats every time I exit Duffy’s room. I dearly love Holly and do not
want to do anything that would make her unhappy. My great hope is that if I
do this correctly, Holly and Duffy eventually will become friends and
companions and that life will be even better for Holly (and certainly for
Duffy).

Photos of Duffy...no longer “scruffy” or “unkempt” or thin:
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/4688654 [The first pic shows
Duffy at the shelter]
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/9165042 [This album shows Duffy
conquering the Christmas tree and also shows Holly on her 17th birthday]

MaryL

Old July 28th 12, 11:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"MaryL" wrote in message
[...]

Duffy has come a long way - thanks to your help and love.

Joy

Old July 29th 12, 12:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 07/28/2012 04:29 PM, MaryL wrote:
[...]

It was fun to see those pictures again. Yes, time does fly. I can't
believe my TuTu is 15. Best wishes for more happy days ahead. MLB
Old July 29th 12, 08:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Judith Latham" wrote in message

In article , MaryL
wrote:
[...]

Purrs being sent that Duffy soon settles in and is accepted by holly.

Judith

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I apparently did not make myself clear. In the first paragraph, I was
trying to explain that I came across an old message that I posted at the
time when I adopted Duffy. That was nine years ago! Holly and Duffy get
along beautifully, and Duffy is a wonderful little boy. He is a little
gymnast, and he can do almost anything a sighted can do. He especially
loves to climb, and he literally "swirls" up and down his climbing poles.

This may be a duplicate. I replied earlier, but the message apparently did
not get sent.

MaryL

Old July 30th 12, 02:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 17:29:24 -0500, "MaryL"
wrote:

[...]

Great photos. It does seem like 2003 was just yesterday. It's the year
that Nico crossed the bridge and Espy and Nipsy joined me. So they're
10 now, yikes. And seriously considering retiring, but that is still
four or five years away.

Duffy looks very much like Nipsy.
Old July 30th 12, 06:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

dgk wrote:

Great photos. It does seem like 2003 was just yesterday. It's the year
that Nico crossed the bridge and Espy and Nipsy joined me. So they're
10 now, yikes. And seriously considering retiring, but that is still
four or five years away.

I know what you mean! I adopted Licky in 2003, and to me, he's still
"the kitten."

--
Joyce

- Your mom and I are going to divorce next month.
- What??? Why! Call me please?
- I wrote Disney and this phone changed it. We are going to Disney.
-- damnyouautocorrect.com