Royal Canin vs. Hill's k/d?

Old July 27th 12, 09:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Royal Canin vs. Hill's k/d?

I did wind up having the vet come out yesterday. Persia pooped outside the
litter box and also threw up in the bathroom (which she hasn't done in a
long time). Okay, distress signal! It's time to get the vet involved.

Thank goodness every room in this house has a door. I knew she'd run and
hide the minute they showed up. I closed off every door so the only place
she could go was in the living/dining room. As it is, I still had to drag
her out from under the sofa. She moves fast for an old girl I got her
out and the tech held her while they took blood and urine samples. Needles!
Poor Persia

They called me about an hour after they left here and had run the tests.
Persia is in early stage renal failure

Now she is to eat prescription wet food for kidney problems. I picked up a
few cans of each food today, the Royal Canin and the Hill's k/d. It was
suggested I try both to see which one she likes the best. When I got home I
gave her some of the Royal Canin. She didn't seem overly thrilled by it but
she ate it. I'll try some of the Hill's food this evening.

Obviously it will be up to Persia to decide which food she likes better.
I'm just wondering, if your cats eat either of these, which they prefer.

Jill

Old July 28th 12, 12:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

When KFC was diagnosed with early renal failure I went along with the food
the vet said. I can't remember what it was now but she didn't eat it for
long. Appetite is a problem for CRF kitties and even though the kidney
foods are supposed to be yummy she didn't eat them for more than a few
weeks. I hope Persia will eat them for years, but if she doesn't, I could
maybe help you with this.
I kept KFC going for ages with her CRF by diet alone.
I didn't go the injecting her with sub-q fluid route, that is popular in
America and you might like to consider it if she needs it. Our vets here
mainly advise against it.
Tweed

Old July 28th 12, 02:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

When KFC was diagnosed with early renal failure I went along with the food
the vet said. I can't remember what it was now but she didn't eat it for
long. Appetite is a problem for CRF kitties and even though the kidney
foods are supposed to be yummy she didn't eat them for more than a few
weeks. I hope Persia will eat them for years, but if she doesn't, I could
maybe help you with this.
I kept KFC going for ages with her CRF by diet alone.
I didn't go the injecting her with sub-q fluid route, that is popular in
America and you might like to consider it if she needs it. Our vets here
mainly advise against it.

That's interesting, do you know why? I'm convinced that my partner and I
kept our cat Tika going for 5 years with CRF. She was diagnosed at age 16
and lived to 21.

--
Joyce

The sun rose slowly, like a fiery furball coughed up uneasily onto a
sky-blue carpet by a giant unseen cat. -- Michael McGarel
Old July 28th 12, 02:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

No, I don't know why. Vets are just not in favour of people doing sub-q
themselves here. Its rarely done by vets either.
I kept KFC going by diet only and drinking rehyd stuff. got her to 25.
I suppose if I had insisted I could have been enabled to do it. It was not
offered as an option though. I wouldn't have done it anyway, she would not
have liked it. Neither would Boyfie so he wouldn't get sub-q either. He
would hate it and as much as I love him I would prefer to let him go.

There is obviously a difference between USA & UK vets. a big difference.
Let's not mention declawing, our vets would be struck off if they did that.

Old July 28th 12, 05:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message

I didn't go the injecting her with sub-q fluid route, that is popular
in
America and you might like to consider it if she needs it. Our vets
here
mainly advise against it.

That's interesting, do you know why? I'm convinced that my partner and I
kept our cat Tika going for 5 years with CRF. She was diagnosed at age 16
and lived to 21.

No, I don't know why. Vets are just not in favour of people doing sub-q
themselves here. Its rarely done by vets either.
I kept KFC going by diet only and drinking rehyd stuff. got her to 25.

Well, that's it, then. You gave her the rehydrating liquid. Kind of the
same idea. They just need to get a lot of water in them to flush out the
toxins as much as possible. Problem is, cats don't tend to drink a lot
of water normally. So they need help with that, whether it's rehydrating
liquid or subq fluids, I guess it doesn't matter.

--
Joyce

Loneliness is comforted by the closeness and touch of fur to fur,
skin to skin, or -- skin to fur. -- Paul Gallico
Old July 28th 12, 02:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Christina, if you have some suggestions for a CRF diet I'd love to hear
them. Persia is not particularly enamored with either brand of canned cat
food. Sure, she eats it. She woke me up this morning asking where's the
food?! I've given her both the Royal Canin and the Hill's k/d. She doesn't
really care for either of them. But it's not like I have a choice, unless
you can suggest something else. She already drinks a lot of water. She
always has. And the vet didn't mention sub-q fluids.

Jill

Old July 28th 12, 08:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Christina Websell wrote:

There is obviously a difference between USA & UK vets. a big difference.
Let's not mention declawing, our vets would be struck off if they did that.

I stopped using a vet in Pasadena CA, when I realized the "laser
surgery" he advertised was for declawing! (He was a good, caring vet,
otherwise, and I suppose laser surgery is less traumatic than the
traditional kind, but still....)

When I adopted Cendrillon, I knew she had been declawed, which usually
means spayed or neutered at the same time. She'd been with me for about
a week when she came in heat! (One reason she found her forever home
with me - spaying isn't cheap, so after paying out that kind of money,
merely fostering her just wasn't an option.)
Old July 29th 12, 03:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nadia N.

jmcquown wrote:

They called me about an hour after they left here and had run the tests.
Persia is in early stage renal failure

Now she is to eat prescription wet food for kidney problems. I picked
up a few cans of each food today, the Royal Canin and the Hill's k/d.
It was suggested I try both to see which one she likes the best. When I
got home I gave her some of the Royal Canin. She didn't seem overly
thrilled by it but she ate it. I'll try some of the Hill's food this
evening.

Obviously it will be up to Persia to decide which food she likes better.
I'm just wondering, if your cats eat either of these, which they prefer.

Jill

Kotyo has been on Hill's k/d canned for over 2 years now. He loves it,
but then again, he loves every kind of food. I never tried him with the
Royal Canin because it is not as easily found here in Spain.

One thing that is very important for cats with CRF is that they get a
lot of fluids. I add water to Kotyo's wet food at every meal.

Here is a link to a website with a huge amount of information about CRF:
http://www.felinecrf.org/ . It has a section on food with suggestions
of what to feed if your cat just won't eat the prescription food. You
might also want to join the Yahoo feline CRF group, which is full of
people sharing their experience with their own cats, and what CRF foods
they have found that their cats would eat. The choices are not only
Hill's and Royal Canin, even though most vets only suggest those two.
Their archives go back to the year 2000, so there is a lot of
information there.

Lots of purrs are being sent to you and Persia from me, Kotyo and
Sweety. I was in your shoes about 2 years ago, when Kotyo was diagnosed
with early stage CRF. In our case, it turned out that it is actually a
heart defect that is affecting his kidneys, and not CRF (yet), but it
took more than a year for the vets to figure that out, and in the
meantime I did a lot of research on CRF. If caught early enough, and
with good care and good food, cats can live with it for quite a long time.

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety
--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety
Old July 29th 12, 10:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I'd prefer you went with the vet for now and not ask me until it's desperate
and they have given up. I don't consider myself an expert even though I
kept KFC going from 18-25 with CRF and dogs the same. My vet said once "I
have never seen anyone like yourself who can keep them going like you can."
No sub q. It's over once you start that.

Tweed

Old July 31st 12, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Christina Websell wrote:

There is obviously a difference between USA & UK vets. a big difference.
Let's not mention declawing, our vets would be struck off if they did
that.

I stopped using a vet in Pasadena CA, when I realized the "laser surgery"
he advertised was for declawing! (He was a good, caring vet, otherwise,
and I suppose laser surgery is less traumatic than the traditional kind,
but still....)

When I adopted Cendrillon, I knew she had been declawed, which usually
means spayed or neutered at the same time. She'd been with me for about a
week when she came in heat! (One reason she found her forever home with
me - spaying isn't cheap, so after paying out that kind of money, merely
fostering her just wasn't an option.)

I might be wrong but I think America is the only place in the world where
declawing is legal. It should stop. Immediately.
It's a disgusting practice.
Why do your vets offer it?