Purrs for Xoxo's dental

Old July 28th 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez[_2_]

Default Update - Purrs for Xoxo's dental

TED just called. Xoxo is going to be a gap-toothed old man, 4 of his
front teeth were removed.
The main teeth were all ok and cleaned beautifully. He's waking up and
will be ready to come home in a few hours.
However, they got some urine and it was full of crystals. Xoxo had an
episode of struvite crystals years ago and as a result we switched
them all to a mostly canned food diet and that solved his issue. The
pH was ok, which leads TED to think there may be a stone in his
bladder. So she's going to get an x-ray and call me back. Purrs for
these crystals to be nothing serious would be most appreciated.

Regards.

Victor

Old July 28th 08, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Purrs are on the way.

--

Joy

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of
masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch. - Leo Dworken

Old July 28th 08, 08:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ann

Purrs on the way.

--
Ann
in Connecticut

Old July 28th 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Victor Martinez wrote:
bladder. So she's going to get an x-ray and call me back. Purrs for
these crystals to be nothing serious would be most appreciated.

Update on the update. Xoxo is back home, resting. The x-rays revealed a
tiny stone in his bladder. TED wants Xoxo on special diet (Hills s/d or
equivalent), but reading the ingredient list made me cringe! And that
food is supposed to acidify his urine, but his urine has a normal pH!

Thanks for all the purrs!

Victor, not sure what to do about Xoxo's diet.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old July 28th 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Charleen Welton

Nothing-Serious Purrs on the way!
Charleen
Aggie Marble
Victor Velcro
Tiger
Tigger

news

Old July 28th 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Victor Martinez wrote:
TED just called. Xoxo is going to be a gap-toothed old man, 4 of his
front teeth were removed.
The main teeth were all ok and cleaned beautifully. He's waking up and
will be ready to come home in a few hours.
However, they got some urine and it was full of crystals. Xoxo had an
episode of struvite crystals years ago and as a result we switched
them all to a mostly canned food diet and that solved his issue. The
pH was ok, which leads TED to think there may be a stone in his
bladder. So she's going to get an x-ray and call me back. Purrs for
these crystals to be nothing serious would be most appreciated.

Regards.

Victor

Poor Xoxo, more purrs on the way.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old July 28th 08, 09:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Irulan

aw, poor Xoxo. Glad to hear his dental went
ok. Purring and praying that the crystal problems
get resolved soon.

Lily & her mama

"Joy" wrote in message
.. .
Purrs are on the way.

--

[...]

from the stars we come
to the stars we return
from now until the end of time.

Old July 28th 08, 09:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
TED just called. Xoxo is going to be a gap-toothed old man, 4 of his
front teeth were removed.
The main teeth were all ok and cleaned beautifully. He's waking up and
will be ready to come home in a few hours.

Yay! I'm glad he came through it all OK. I'm sure you'll give him loads of
scritches and hugs to make it all up to him.

However, they got some urine and it was full of crystals. Xoxo had an
episode of struvite crystals years ago and as a result we switched
them all to a mostly canned food diet and that solved his issue. The
pH was ok, which leads TED to think there may be a stone in his
bladder. So she's going to get an x-ray and call me back. Purrs for
these crystals to be nothing serious would be most appreciated.

Regards.

Victor

Ach! I know how worrying that can be - mega purrs coming that there is no
stone or blockage!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 28th 08, 10:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Victor Martinez wrote:
bladder. So she's going to get an x-ray and call me back. Purrs for
these crystals to be nothing serious would be most appreciated.

Update on the update. Xoxo is back home, resting. The x-rays revealed a
tiny stone in his bladder. TED wants Xoxo on special diet (Hills s/d or
equivalent), but reading the ingredient list made me cringe! And that food
is supposed to acidify his urine, but his urine has a normal pH!

Thanks for all the purrs!

Victor, not sure what to do about Xoxo's diet.

Victor, I'd think about getting a second opinion. Also, I know you don't
like rpch+p, but Phil P. over there has always had great advice about this
subject and cat nutrition. The following is taken from his web site on the
cat nutrition page:

------------------------------
A commercial cat food should not be selected only on the basis of its
magnesium content. The quantity of magnesium required to saturate urine with
struvite at alkaline pH is very small. As pH decreases below 6.4, the
amount of magnesium required to saturate the urine with struvite increases
exponentially. Conversely, as urine pH increases above 6.9, the amount of
struvite that forms in the urine increases markedly. When urine pH is
alkaline, the amount of struvite formed in urine is proportional to the
dietary magnesium concentration. At urine pH values less than 6.1, struvite
does not form regardless of the magnesium concentration of the diet. Thus,
the tendency of struvite to form is a function of urine pH. The magnesium
content of the diet only becomes important when urine pH is greater than
6.1.

The food's caloric density, digestibility, and urine-acidifying properties
should all be considered when selecting a commercial cat food for the
prevention of struvite urolithiasis. Constituents of foodstuffs exert major
effects on urine pH. Sulfur-containing amino acids, phospholipids, and
phosphoproteins naturally found in a carnivorous diet naturally acidify the
urine, whereas salts of organic acids alkalinize it. Salts of dietary
organic acids, which come primarily from plant material and found in high
quantities in dry food, have an alkalinizing effect.

The percentage of magnesium in the diet is not as important as the total
amount of magnesium that a cat consumes. Diets that are moderate in caloric
density and are highly digestible will be consumed in smaller amounts, thus
lowering both DM and magnesium intake. High-quality canned food is
typically 90% digestible whereas equal quality dry food is ~80% digestible.
The lower DM intake results in decreased fecal matter and fecal water and
increased urine volume. Feeding a canned diet with these characteristics
further contributes to increased urine volume and decreased urine specific
gravity reducing the risks of urolithiasis while supplying the cat's dietary
magnesium requirements. Although many brands of dry cat food may contain
relatively low concentrations of magnesium, they are often lower in
digestibility than canned and contain high levels of cereal grains. Because
the cat's requirement for dietary magnesium is substantially lower than the
amount usually found in cat food, a general rule of thumb is to select a
high-quality, highly digestible, canned food that contains 0.12 % magnesium
or less.

Hugs,

CatNipped

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Prayers and purrs for a speedy recovery for my "Kitty" (Her name) after dental work. kraut Cat community 9 October 3rd 07 02:45 PM
Dental purrs for HRFL? Helen Miles Cat anecdotes 12 July 27th 06 11:11 PM
Dental Barb Cat health & behaviour 0 May 23rd 06 04:47 PM
Dental cybercat Cat health & behaviour 0 May 23rd 06 03:11 AM
Xoxo's hair Victor Martinez Cat anecdotes 38 May 7th 05 10:18 PM