Giovanni Earns His Keep

Old July 9th 12, 09:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Arthur Shapiro[_2_]

Default Giovanni Earns His Keep

I've had my little Russian Blue, Niobe, for just shy of a year. She's been
allowed in the back yard, unsupervised, for quite a while. It's surrounded by
a six foot wall, and she could easily scamper up a bush or tree and go over
the wall, but hasn't shown any tendency to do so - happily.

The last couple of weeks, I've let her out front when I'm out there or
working in the garage, and she really likes it. We're at the end of a little
four house cul de sac, so she's well off the street. She seems to enjoy the
bushes and chewing the grass and just hanging out.

Yesterday, I was doing some woodworking in the garage and Niobe was out front.
After a while, I didn't notice her. I walked up and down the cul de sac,
looking under all the bushes, and there was no sign of Niobe. It wasn't a
panic situation yet, but this was starting to be a concern.

Giovanni was sitting in the driveway, so I called to him: "Giovanni, have you
seen your sister???". He didn't say a word, but simply looked upward. I
looked in that direction, and there was Niobe, happily sitting in a tree next
to the driveway.

I got her down - it's not a huge tree - and thanked Giovanni for his
cooperation.

Art
Old July 9th 12, 10:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav[_2_]

"Arthur Shapiro" wrote in message

Yesterday, I was doing some woodworking in the garage and Niobe
was out front.
After a while, I didn't notice her. I walked up and down the
cul de sac,
looking under all the bushes, and there was no sign of Niobe.
It wasn't a
panic situation yet, but this was starting to be a concern.

Giovanni was sitting in the driveway, so I called to him:
"Giovanni, have you
seen your sister???". He didn't say a word, but simply looked
upward. I
looked in that direction, and there was Niobe, happily sitting
in a tree next
to the driveway.

I got her down - it's not a huge tree - and thanked Giovanni
for his
cooperation.

What a clever sibling! :-)

I always say "Thank you for coming!" to a neighbour's cat when he
comes in to see me :-)

--
MatSav

Old July 9th 12, 11:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

[...]

That's wonderful!

Tweed

Old July 10th 12, 12:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 07/09/2012 02:44 PM, Arthur Shapiro wrote:
[...]

I often wonder if they (the cats) understand the words or read minds.
I do know they really get the messages we send. Now, whether they
choose to respond immediately or decide to think it over, that is
another thing to wonder about. It's good to have a report on Niobe.
How is Watermelon these days? Best wishes. MLB

Old July 10th 12, 12:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Arthur Shapiro[_2_]

In article , MLB wrote:

How is Watermelon these days?

Not much to report - same as ever. Spends all night braced against me,
jostling as he grooms himself (or me). Growls loudly whenever Giovanni gets
near. Otherwise he's a purring machine. He doesn't want to go outside very
much these days, preferring to spend his time on a bed or a chair.

The vet wants him to lose some weight, but I don't think there's been much
success so far. He is by far the most lopsided cat I've ever had, with all
the weight to the rear; it's actually hard to pick him up. He's about 18
pounds.

Hope we can keep him around for several more years...obviously his days are
numbered at 17+. A pleasant, low-impact cat if ever there was one.

Art
Old July 10th 12, 03:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matt Ferrari[_2_]

"MLB" wrote in message
On
Art

I often wonder if they (the cats) understand the words or read minds. I
do know they really get the messages we send. ]

goofy seems to understand the phrase want a treat?

Old July 10th 12, 06:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Matt Ferrari" wrote in message

"MLB" wrote in message
On
Art

I often wonder if they (the cats) understand the words or read minds. I
do know they really get the messages we send. ]

goofy seems to understand the phrase want a treat?

Persia understands lots of things:

want a treat?
barley cat? (a ground dried herbal supplement which helps with digestion)
kitty food?
I can't say "Fancy Feast"
I have to spell M I L K
Sleepy-bye
Come on and snuggle
Take a nap (with me)

Lots more.

Jill

Old July 11th 12, 12:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane[_3_]

On Monday, July 9, 2012 10:46:17 PM UTC-4, Matt Ferrari wrote:

goofy seems to understand the phrase want a treat?

I once came home from shopping and yelled to Rita, "Hey Rita, I bought a new kind of treat. Want to try some?" and she came barrelling down the hallway and jumped on the couch with me.

I'm sure she understood me.

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita