Question Regarding Orange Tabby's

Old June 28th 16, 10:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Question Regarding Orange Tabby's

Granted, Buffy is only my second cat. She's my first orange tabby.
She's about 7 years old (best guess).

Question: do orange tabby's get darker as they get older?

I ask this because her fur seems to be much darker than it was last year
when I adopted her. Looking at old pictures it seems she was ligher.
Now her fur looks like copper. Absolutely gorgeous but also darker.

Is this something you've ever encountered? Do orange cats get darker
with age?

Buffy's fur is very shiny. It's also tipped with white which makes her
appear to sparkle in the sunlight.

Jill
Old June 29th 16, 02:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Question: do orange tabby's get darker as they get older?

I ask this because her fur seems to be much darker than it was last year
when I adopted her. Looking at old pictures it seems she was ligher.
Now her fur looks like copper. Absolutely gorgeous but also darker.

Is this something you've ever encountered? Do orange cats get darker
with age?

Buffy's fur is very shiny. It's also tipped with white which makes her
appear to sparkle in the sunlight.

Could she have been biotin-deficient when she arrived? That happens
with a diet high in egg (which is in some types of catfood, and not
necessarily just the cheap ones).

Biotin deficiency causes reversible greying in both cats and people.

Old June 30th 16, 11:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 6/28/2016 9:04 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
Question: do orange tabby's get darker as they get older?

I ask this because her fur seems to be much darker than it was last year
when I adopted her. Looking at old pictures it seems she was ligher.
Now her fur looks like copper. Absolutely gorgeous but also darker.

Is this something you've ever encountered? Do orange cats get darker
with age?

Buffy's fur is very shiny. It's also tipped with white which makes her
appear to sparkle in the sunlight.

Could she have been biotin-deficient when she arrived? That happens
with a diet high in egg (which is in some types of catfood, and not
necessarily just the cheap ones).

Biotin deficiency causes reversible greying in both cats and people.

I have no idea what her diet was before I adopted her. The woman who
took care of her after her owner died fed her canned Friskies and some
sort of dry kibble that was in a pet food bin in the pantry.

Her orange fur is darker. I believe the white tips are just natural to her.

Jill
Old August 15th 16, 11:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rusty[_2_]

On Tuesday, June 28, 2016 at 5:53:02 AM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
Granted, Buffy is only my second cat. She's my first orange tabby.
She's about 7 years old (best guess).

Question: do orange tabby's get darker as they get older?

I ask this because her fur seems to be much darker than it was last year
when I adopted her. Looking at old pictures it seems she was ligher.
Now her fur looks like copper. Absolutely gorgeous but also darker.

Is this something you've ever encountered? Do orange cats get darker
with age?

Buffy's fur is very shiny. It's also tipped with white which makes her
appear to sparkle in the sunlight.

Jill

Rusty was an orange tabby. I had him for 15 years. Didn't notice him getting
darker. Did notice he got brown patches around his mouth. The vet said that is
common with orange tabby. Guess it is similar to redheads getting more freckles.

Winnie
Old August 17th 16, 04:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 03:06:08 -0700 (PDT), Rusty
wrote:

[...]

I wonder if it has anything to do with diet or some other
environmental issue. I know that Flamingos get their red color from
the food that they eat, so maybe there's a relationship. I'm not
suggesting that you feed her a Flamingo.
Old August 17th 16, 11:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

wrote:

[...]

Haha! Or feed her whatever flamingos eat - I thought it was some kind
of sea food (shrimp?). And we know how cats feel about shrimpies.

--
Joyce

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he
grows up, he'll never be able to merge his car onto a freeway.