about brushing a cat's teeth

Old February 25th 05, 12:03 PM
John Doe

Default about brushing a cat's teeth

I bought a Gerber Tooth & Gum Cleanser for $4.50 USD. I don't find
anything specific about that in the Usenet archives.

I'm concerned about Kiki's gums and teeth. The vet makes me wait one
year between teeth cleanings. The tooth cleanser has a rubber thimble
thingy with little rubber bristles on the end. Kiki is at least 10
years old. Just for argument, let's say I use the finger brush to brush
her teeth (time will tell). Should I be concerned about damaging her
gums? That is my main concern. Any pointers on how to start would be
appreciated. Any experiences using finger brushes would be appreciated,
especially from anyone who has used them consistently (you must really
care).

Thank you.

Old February 25th 05, 01:56 PM
dragon

John Doe wrote:
I bought a Gerber Tooth & Gum Cleanser for $4.50 USD. I don't find
anything specific about that in the Usenet archives.

I'm concerned about Kiki's gums and teeth. The vet makes me wait one
year between teeth cleanings. The tooth cleanser has a rubber thimble

thingy with little rubber bristles on the end. Kiki is at least 10
years old. Just for argument, let's say I use the finger brush to

brush
her teeth (time will tell). Should I be concerned about damaging her
gums? That is my main concern. Any pointers on how to start would be
appreciated. Any experiences using finger brushes would be

appreciated,
especially from anyone who has used them consistently (you must

really
care).

Thank you.

The problem with those finger brushes is that it is very hard to feel
what you are doing through the rubber. So, yes, I would be concerned
about rubbing to hard and hurting their gums. I stopped using one of
these to brush my son's teeth due to this reason. A thin washcloth or
cotton rag will be much easier to work with than one of those rubber
thimble thingies!

dragon

Old February 25th 05, 04:14 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-02-25, Karen penned:

My vet says that a piece of guaze wrapped around your finger and gently
rubbing the teeth and gums once a week is very helpful. I think it would be
much easier than a brush.

My vet recommended that years ago for my dog. Unfortunately, Puma was already
grown and quite unwilling to put up with that treatment. Fortunately, he
apparently had good teeth genes.

I think the vet recommended baking soda along with the gauze ... does that
sound likely, and would that cause any trouble for cats?

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old February 25th 05, 04:30 PM
Karen

On 2005-02-25, Karen penned:

My vet says that a piece of guaze wrapped around your finger and gently
rubbing the teeth and gums once a week is very helpful. I think it would

be
much easier than a brush.

My vet recommended that years ago for my dog. Unfortunately, Puma was

already
grown and quite unwilling to put up with that treatment. Fortunately, he
apparently had good teeth genes.

I think the vet recommended baking soda along with the gauze ... does that
sound likely, and would that cause any trouble for cats?

--

Mine says plain. I would be worried about baking soda myself.

Old February 25th 05, 05:02 PM
John Doe

Karen wrote:

My vet says that a piece of guaze wrapped around your finger and
gently rubbing the teeth and gums once a week is very helpful. I
think it would be much easier than a brush.

I would think a brush would be difficult to use. This is like a long
rubber thimble.

http://www.walgreens.com/dbimagecache/212160.jpg

Old February 25th 05, 05:35 PM
John Doe

"Mary" wrote:
"John Doe" wrote in message
Karen wrote:

My vet says that a piece of guaze wrapped around your finger and
gently rubbing the teeth and gums once a week is very helpful. I
think it would be much easier than a brush.

I would think a brush would be difficult to use. This is like a
long rubber thimble.
http://www.walgreens.com/dbimagecache/212160.jpg

"THAT" is too big and bulky and gags the cat.

I can easily imagine you doing that.

I have one. Look around. There is a brush with a long handle and a
small head

A brush with a long handle and a small head.

that works better.

From: "Mary" marys catlovernospam.com
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Subject: about brushing a cat's teeth
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:05:06 -0500

Old February 25th 05, 06:12 PM
Mary

"John Doe" wrote in message
"Mary" wrote:
"John Doe" wrote in message
Karen wrote:

My vet says that a piece of guaze wrapped around your finger and
gently rubbing the teeth and gums once a week is very helpful. I
think it would be much easier than a brush.

I would think a brush would be difficult to use. This is like a
long rubber thimble.
http://www.walgreens.com/dbimagecache/212160.jpg

"THAT" is too big and bulky and gags the cat.

I can easily imagine you doing that.

I have one. Look around. There is a brush with a long handle and a
small head

A brush with a long handle and a small head.

that works better.

newssvr11.news.prodigy.com!newscon03.news.prodigy. com!newsmst01a.news.prodig
y.com!prodigy.com!newscon06.news.prodigy.com!prodi gy.net!border1.nntp.dca.gi
ganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!newsfeed-east.nntpserver.com!nntpserver.com!man
ticore.nntpserver.com.POSTED!teranews!not-for-mail
From: "Mary" marys catlovernospam.com
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav

portal listed above.

fraudulent.
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:05:06 -0500

Well it is still true, Johnny. We have discussed it before.

Old February 25th 05, 08:29 PM
W. Leong

"John Doe" wrote in message
I bought a Gerber Tooth & Gum Cleanser for $4.50 USD. I don't find
anything specific about that in the Usenet archives.

I'm concerned about Kiki's gums and teeth. The vet makes me wait one
year between teeth cleanings. The tooth cleanser has a rubber thimble
thingy with little rubber bristles on the end. Kiki is at least 10
years old. Just for argument, let's say I use the finger brush to brush
her teeth (time will tell). Should I be concerned about damaging her
gums? That is my main concern. Any pointers on how to start would be
appreciated. Any experiences using finger brushes would be appreciated,
especially from anyone who has used them consistently (you must really
care).

Thank you.

I have been brushing my cat's teeth for years with a thimble finger
brush for cats with good results. I even use it to protect my finger
when I have to pill Rusty. He thought it was just another teeth brushing
session but ended up with a pill down his throat. But he
is getting wise about it now.

Winnie
session but e

Old February 25th 05, 11:08 PM
Mary

"W. Leong" wrote
I have been brushing my cat's teeth for years with a thimble finger
brush for cats with good results. I even use it to protect my finger
when I have to pill Rusty. He thought it was just another teeth brushing
session but ended up with a pill down his throat. But he
is getting wise about it now.

Rusty must be a bigger cat than my Cheeky. I used the thimble
finger brush and by the time I got it back to where her teeth
were, it gagged her. But she is a 7-lb female.

Winnie
session but e