[FTV] Frozen Bubbles by JEM

Old May 17th 10, 04:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Default [FTV] Frozen Bubbles by JEM

Hei Yu's Most Favoritest Bestest Toys were Frozen Bubbles.

Do you all know what those are? You pick a clear, calm, *frigid* day in
winter, preferably at dawn or in the shade (direct sun interferes). Then
you take your bubble solution outside, and blow bubbles.

If you pick exactly the right day (it has to be *Frigid*, not just Cold,
and as windless as possible) and do it exactly right (blow the bubbles
in an upward direction, so they stay in the air as long as possible) the
bubbles will freeze before they hit the ground, because it only takes a
few seconds to flash-freeze their thin skins on a properly cold day.

If you work it right, you'll end up with all the bushes and grass
adorned with Beauty.

If you're *very* careful, and wear gloves, you can even handle and
juggle them. Knitted or fur gloves work best; the bubbles will "perch"
on the filaments, and not burst. Warm skin, though, will pop them almost
immediately.

Anyway, every winter, I made Frozen Bubbles at least a few times. Hei Yu
would stalk them, and she was *so* much fun to watch; I'm not sure
whether she forgot The Rules between times, or it was all Part Of The
Game, but...

First I'd see this little face peeking around the corner of the house.
Then she'd saunter over to the biggest bubble, and [sniff] at it. Pop!
It *vanished*!

Now no Self-Respecting Cat can let her prey get away from her, so she'd
look around for it.
Aha! -- *there* is is! (The next-biggest one, but she seemed convinced
it was the same one.)
Don't look directly at it, it mustn't know it's being stalked... Saunter
past it, still ignoring it, and -- Swat!!
Hey!! -- it escaped *again*!
Sit down and consider...
Okay, new Plan Of Attack. Locate bubble again. Stroll past again,
ignoring so it won't know, and -- Pounce!!
There, *now* I've got it -- it's *under* me, couldn't *possibly* have
escaped. Stand up veeery slowly, ready for the Escape Attempt, and look
under self.
Look *further* under self. And still further. Stretch legs and arch back
high high high, and check *all the way* under self, until you almost
turn a somersault.
No bubble on the ground. No bubble on the belly-fur. No bubble
*anywhere*. It escaped *again*! This cannot be tolerated -- sit and make
another plan.
Hm. There are *lots* of these things around -- I don't *have* to have
the very *biggest* one -- maybe the babies will be easier to catch,
since they haven't grown up yet. Maybe they don't yet know The Secret Of
Escaping The Mighty Huntress...
Sit and wash a hind leg, so they'll think I've Lost Interest...
Ignore... Ignore... and Go Crazy! Bat at every bubble I can reach! Left!
Right! Twist! Back! Turn and bat some more!! I'll get one yet!!

By this time, I (Hei Yu's person) am in hysterics, sitting on the porch
with tears running down my face.

But somewhere along the line, during this manic phase, she always
(re?)learned that if she hit the bubbles back-handed (-pawed?), and
slowly, they wouldn't burst from her claws or just the heat of her pads.

She'd go into a *slow-motion* game of *tag*, carefully hitting bubbles
with the back of her paw.

This phase was beautiful, like watching a recording played at slow
motion, or a particularly graceful and controlled ballet. I'd watch,
mesmerized, freezing but not caring, until all the bubbles had been
popped by her attentions or by the warming sun.

Then she'd trot over to me, and tell me ("Mrrp? Mrrp! Niaow!") it was
time to go inside, warm up, and eat breakfast. Special breakfast for a
Special Day -- we'd share pancakes, with sausage or bacon, and talk
about her Hunting Prowess. (*She'd* brag, and *I* was expected to offer
Fulsome Praise -- both of us with our mouths full. [grin])

I've always regretted that this happened before video cameras; I truly
wish I could have made at least one recording of it. But I can see it
again, all I have to do is close my eyes...

Those were Hei Yu's Most Favoritest Bestest Toys.

By JEM

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old May 17th 10, 05:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Default Frozen Bubbles by JEM

On May 16, 10:55*pm, Marina wrote:
[...]

That's a great one, Marina. It leaves a wonderful mental picture, as
I've never
seen frozen bubbles, but I imagine what they would look like.

Sherry
Old May 17th 10, 07:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

On Mon, 17 May 2010 06:55:06 +0300, Marina
wrote:

Great story! it gets cold enough here to freeze soap bubbles; if it's
too windy, I've done it in my garage, on a very cold day.

My cats have always been strictly indoor kitties, so they never got to
play with the frozen bubbles.

For me, they were only interesting to do and look at.

The description of a cat trying to stalk and catch one had me LOL!

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

- Robert Heinlein

[...]

---
Virus Database (VPS): 100516-1, 05/16/2010
Tested on: 5/17/2010 1:51:15 AM

Old May 17th 10, 07:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karla

"Marina" wrote in message
[...]

That is truly a memory to treasure, and you told it so beautifully I could
see it too.
Karla

Old May 17th 10, 04:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine Burel[_2_]

Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA

Great story of JEM's, Marina - thanks for posting it!
Christine

Old May 24th 10, 01:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Marina wrote:
[...]

Great reading! Best wishes. MLB

Bubbles ollie2 Cat anecdotes 4 December 31st 07 12:35 AM
First under 20k bubbles!!!! Victor Martinez Cat anecdotes 9 April 2nd 06 04:08 AM
More Bubbles Bev Cat anecdotes 2 January 1st 05 06:03 PM
Bubbles OT Bev Cat anecdotes 0 November 8th 04 02:08 AM
Cat nip bubbles Susan M Cat anecdotes 5 February 18th 04 02:29 PM