Island story: The 3rd cat in my family

Old August 1st 10, 10:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Default Island story: The 3rd cat in my family

My niece's cat Kasper (who is Mir's half-uncle and a real hunk of a cat:
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...0/IMG_1954.jpg)
decided that I must be a large and very scary cat. He often came over to
my shack to bully Mir and Caliban, and I would rush to their defence.
This was Kasper's cue to turn on me. He literally turned sideways to me,
trying to look big, and would hiss and yowl at me. Needless to say, I
would hiss and yowl back at him. He's never treated any other human this
way. He's only yowled at my sister's male cat, Linus, before. He would
also feint at me, and once caught me very smartly on the shin.

One time I was going up a flight of stairs towards my uncle's cottage.
Kasper was on the same stairs, and said, 'I don't think so.' Or rather,
he would get up on the next step up from me, turn sideways and hiss.
Then he'd go one step up, turn sideways and hiss again. He was really
determined that I should not be allowed on *his* steps.

If it wasn't so funny, I might be offended, but naturally in reality,
I'm deeply honoured that I deserve to be treated like a cat.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

Old August 1st 10, 03:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Marina wrote:
[...]

So now, Kasper's rivals on the island are you and Linus?? But then,
you win, because from your photos, you're already closely allied with
Linus.

Kasper seems to get along well with his half-nephew though, but yeah,
these long hiatuses apart don't give them enough time to establish
close friendships. Plus, Kasper might be suspicious that Caliban is
out to get his fudz.

Have you tried picking up Kasper and kissing him on the head?
Old August 1st 10, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Takayuki wrote:

So now, Kasper's rivals on the island are you and Linus?? But then,
you win, because from your photos, you're already closely allied with
Linus.

Linus usually takes about a week of swiping at me and then suddenly,
he's my best friend and I can scritch him and pet him and he purrs and
wiggles like a kitten for me. He's another funny one.

Kasper seems to get along well with his half-nephew though, but yeah,
these long hiatuses apart don't give them enough time to establish
close friendships. Plus, Kasper might be suspicious that Caliban is
out to get his fudz.

Oh no, Kasper doesn't get along with anyone when he's on the island. He
even takes a disliking to Emil, though they get along fairly well at
home. But Caliban did swipe Kasper's food, and Kasper soon started
throwing him out of their cabin whenever he tried to sneak in.

Have you tried picking up Kasper and kissing him on the head?

I can do anything to him in town, he loves being scritched by me. It's
only on the island that I apparently transform into a huge, scary cat.
He also lets me pet him if my niece is nearby and can see him, but if
she's not there, he turns on me. He's pretty funny.

Old August 1st 10, 08:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Marina wrote:
Takayuki wrote:

So now, Kasper's rivals on the island are you and Linus?? But then,
you win, because from your photos, you're already closely allied with
Linus.

Linus usually takes about a week of swiping at me and then suddenly,
he's my best friend and I can scritch him and pet him and he purrs and
wiggles like a kitten for me. He's another funny one.

I always had the impression before that Linus was an aloof cat, so I
was surprised by those shots.

Have you tried picking up Kasper and kissing him on the head?

I can do anything to him in town, he loves being scritched by me. It's
only on the island that I apparently transform into a huge, scary cat.
He also lets me pet him if my niece is nearby and can see him, but if
she's not there, he turns on me. He's pretty funny.

Since he used to be a show cat, he must be generally be pretty mellow
around people though. It's an entirely different matter if you're
actually a big scary cat. I've never seen a cat get territorial
with a hoomin.
Old August 1st 10, 09:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 12:44:06 +0300, Marina
wrote:

[...]

Sounds like he has a Jekyll and Hyde thing going on.

I'm glad he only hates you for a short time each year

And, he certainly is a beautiful cat!

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

- Robert Heinlein

---
Virus Database (VPS): 100801-0, 08/01/2010
Tested on: 8/1/2010 3:55:17 PM

Old August 1st 10, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Marina wrote:

Kasper seems to get along well with his half-nephew though, but yeah,
these long hiatuses apart don't give them enough time to establish
close friendships. Plus, Kasper might be suspicious that Caliban is
out to get his fudz.

Oh no, Kasper doesn't get along with anyone when he's on the island. He
even takes a disliking to Emil, though they get along fairly well at
home. But Caliban did swipe Kasper's food, and Kasper soon started
throwing him out of their cabin whenever he tried to sneak in.

Have you tried picking up Kasper and kissing him on the head?

I can do anything to him in town, he loves being scritched by me. It's
only on the island that I apparently transform into a huge, scary cat.
He also lets me pet him if my niece is nearby and can see him, but if
she's not there, he turns on me. He's pretty funny.

I guess with all the extra cats he has to deal with on the island, the
dynamics change quite a bit, including relations with humans.

Joyce

--
The average, healthy, well-adjusted adult gets up at seven-thirty in
the morning feeling just terrible. -- Jean Kerr
Old August 1st 10, 11:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Marina wrote:

One time I was going up a flight of stairs towards my uncle's cottage.
Kasper was on the same stairs, and said, 'I don't think so.' Or rather,
he would get up on the next step up from me, turn sideways and hiss.
Then he'd go one step up, turn sideways and hiss again. He was really
determined that I should not be allowed on *his* steps.

If it wasn't so funny, I might be offended, but naturally in reality,
I'm deeply honoured that I deserve to be treated like a cat.

I think it's hilarious!

Joyce

Old August 2nd 10, 07:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

In ,
Marina typed:
[...]

He's one gorgeous looking 'enemy'. LOL

Yowie

Old August 2nd 10, 07:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Shiral[_2_]

On Aug 1, 2:44*am, Marina wrote:
My niece's cat Kasper (who is Mir's half-uncle and a real hunk of a cat:http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...sland%202010/I...)
[...]

Reminds me of Sage, a cat I used to cat sit before he crossed the
Rainbow Bridge. Sage ruled my friend Judy's house with an iron paw in
an iron glove. he was quite large and tall at the shoulder; he
weighed 22 pounds without being obese. HIS food bowl had to be put
down first, and if he didn't like how you did anything, he'd follow
you around and scold you. Once he hissed at me, which was what scared
the first cat sitter. I leaned down (not very far, in case he decided
to leap) and hissed right back in his face. You never saw such a
confused cat in your life! His face was so astonished--"hey, she just
hissed at me! Can she DO that???" I'd broken a rule, he didn't scare
me, I confused him, and he didn't like the challenge to his authority
at all. =o)

Congratulations at your promotion to honorary cat, Marina. =o)

Melissa