Lorelei update 11-10-2010

Old November 11th 10, 07:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf[_2_]

Default Lorelei update 11-10-2010

Well, Lorelei is making little baby steps of progress: she ate a little
more today, including some of her dry food, AND she used the litter box.

I have been worried, because since she got to my home on Monday
afternoon, she hasn't used it until sometime tonight. *BIG* sigh of
relief!

Given that she has eaten so little, until last night and today, it's not
too surprising.

I was concerned about her not drinking any water, but canned cat food
has a lot of water in it, so she's getting some water from that.

Lorelei is still very scared: I still find her down in the basement,
where it's cold and the floor is cement

The poor kitty. I have coaxed her upstairs several times, only to find
her back down in the basement again. So I finally got some old towels
and made her a sort of a bed, so at least she isn't on the cement floor
anymore.

I spend a lot of time with her, and she like to have her ears scratched,
but she prefers to hide in the basement.

Poor Lorelei is not taking the big move very well at all

I know she's a nice cat, because she came right up to me in her previous
home and let me give her scritches, and rub her pretty spotted tummy

But, I think she can use all the help she can get. I'm sure she can
At least there isn't another cat, or a dog to make it even harder on
her.

I went shopping today and I bought a package of assorted cat toys, some
more of her brand of dry cat food, some more Fancy Feast, and a package
of catnip for Lorelei.

So far, she has ignored the toys, and the catnip, too.

I will wait a few days, and try again.
Old November 11th 10, 07:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

ingold1234[at]yahoo[dot]com (Gandalf) wrote in message
[...]

I'm sure she'll come around, with time. When I got the two I have now, they
hid in a corner behind a chair. One of them got out and hid in the garage
for a couple of days until I could get him back in. They kept hiding for a
week or two, but now they sit on my lap and sleep on the bed with me.

Joy

Old November 11th 10, 08:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

ingold1234[at]yahoo[dot]com (Gandalf) wrote:
I spend a lot of time with her, and she like to have her ears scratched,
but she prefers to hide in the basement.

Poor Lorelei is not taking the big move very well at all

I know she's a nice cat, because she came right up to me in her previous
home and let me give her scritches, and rub her pretty spotted tummy

You got a new kitty! That's good news, even though she's scared, poor
girl.

Both Dot and Buster hid for several hours after I brought them home.
They didn't get along with each other for several months. Betty was
the only cat I've had that didn't hide.

I'm sure she will come around. Even Betty would never have gone up to
a visitor to ask for scritches. They all have such different
personalities. My two go in opposite directions when they hear the
doorbell - Dot runs towards the door, and Buster runs away, then peers
cautiously around the corner.
Old November 11th 10, 09:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief[_2_]

On Nov 10, 11:17*pm, ingold1234[at]yahoo[dot]com (Gandalf) wrote:
[...]

When I first brought Imp home, he hid under the bed for a week. The
first night he got himself into the closet and got stuck. I was
awoken by a small "Mrow?" in the closet. I jumped up, turned on the
light and opened the door and a black shaped streaked out of there and
back under the bed.

I also noticed he stopped using the litterbox after a few days. The
roomie was out of town and I smelled everywhere and couldn't find
anything. He was acting normal but i didn't know where he was doing
his business.

Then the roomie came home and when into her bedroom and pulled back
the comforter and shrieked.

Imp had been going to the bathroom for THREE days in her bed and had
pulled the thick comforter over it to hide the smell. The roomie was
NOT impressed, but she forgave the poor kitty, who was still hiding
under the bed.

When Mayhem came home I put her in the bathroom, and for several days
she wouldn't come out. Eventually would leave hte bathroom door open
and leave the bedroom door close so she could explore one room at a
time. When I found her curled up on the bed, i knew she was
comfortable enough.

Give her time. I'm sure she'll come around. Maybe leave a very small
amount of food out?

Kristi
Old November 11th 10, 09:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debbie Wilson

ingold1234 wrote:

Lorelei is still very scared: I still find her down in the basement,
where it's cold and the floor is cement

The poor kitty. I have coaxed her upstairs several times, only to find
her back down in the basement again. So I finally got some old towels
and made her a sort of a bed, so at least she isn't on the cement floor
anymore.

I spend a lot of time with her, and she like to have her ears scratched,
but she prefers to hide in the basement.

I woud suggest either closing the door to the basement, or better still,
keeping her shut in to the one room where you spend most time, for at
least a week or so, obviously with all her food, litter tray, bed, toys
etc. Sometimes in a new home they can get overwhelmed by the amount of
unfamiliar space all around them so she is retreating to the furthest,
darkest place. If you start her off in one room where you spend most
time, she can get used to that - and you - much faster, and that will
become familiar and safe. Then allow her access to the rest of the
house.

HTH

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old November 11th 10, 11:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 09:34:27 +0000, (Debbie Wilson)
wrote:

ingold1234 wrote:

[...]

I only have 5 rooms, not including the basement.

The only rooms with doors on them are the bedroom, and the bathroom,
which is just tiny. There's probably only 3 feet by 4 feet of open floor
space.

I spend most of my time in the living room, but it doesn't have a door
on it

Old November 11th 10, 12:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobble[_8_]

ingold1234[at]yahoo[dot]com (Gandalf) wrote in news:4ce0987f.44090656
@news.iphouse.com:

[...]

As long as she's eating and using the box, that's good. She just needs
time, poor baby.

I'd be scared if I was dropped off in the middle of a city I'd never been
to. I imagine that's how it must feel to her.

Whenever we moved, Misty would hide behind the bed for a week and treat us
as total strangers. She eventually came out a bit at night when all was
quiet. Tuffy, on the other hand, used to enjoy moving because it meant lots
of new places to explore. Thank goodness halloween is over and the doorbell
isn't ringing like crazy.

Bobble
Old November 11th 10, 01:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Nov 11, 7:17*am, ingold1234[at]yahoo[dot]com (Gandalf) wrote:
Poor Lorelei is not taking the big move very well at all

It's a big change for her she'll come round and get used to it.

When we got the Fabulous Furballs they had a big day. The woman who
was feeding their mother left home early and so about 5AM they were
plucked from their mum and siblings and put in a box and then in a
car. Once she got to the office, she found an office that wasn't in
use and left them in there with a litter tray, food and milk (she
didn't know any better on the last item) and let them out. Then a mad
woman came and shoved them into another strange carrier and got on a
bus with them and then the underground (Amazingly the noise of the
underground didn't seem to bother them much- I guess the excitement
proved too much for them and they went to sleep although when the
train made a sudden screeching sound and jolted, Sarsi jumped and
Dunzi..I wish I had had a camera-put her paw on Sarsi and licked her
as if to say "It's okay I'm here")

When I got indoors, I put the carrier in the kitchen, put down some
food, water and milk (They hadn't had water before and I didn't want
to stress them any further so for the time being they could have milk)
and a litter tray, then I tied the gate of the carrier to the handle
so it couldn't fall down on one of them and left them to it.

Within half an hour Dunzi peered into the living room- we didn't make
a big thing about it just said "Hi" softly and went back to whatever
we were doing and she ambled round the flat sniffing things and
inspecting things before returning to the carrier from which Sarsi had
not moved and they exchanged head rubs (I wonder whether Sarsi sent
Dunzi out to explore this alien place before she would come out, which
she did a couple of minutes later, she sniffed the air, triangulated
the position of the food dish, ran over to it, stufffed herself then
went back to the carrier for a sleep)

By the end of the first day- they'd decided to hide behind the sofa so
we just put some food down in the kitchen and left them to it. The
next morning there was evidence of a late night/early morning visit to
the litter tray, the food bowl was licked clean but no sign of them so
I figured they were still behind the sofa so I just put out some food
and as I was heaading out the door I saw a tiny black shape slinking
belly to the ground towards the food.

Half way through the morning Dave emailed me to inform me that to his
surprise he was woken by the pair of them demonstrating their fighting
prowess inches from his face!

All day he emailed me saying what lovely friendly kittens they were
and I rushed home to stroke the little darlings but as soon as I got
through the door they looked at me as if to say "OH NO NOT HER!" and
hid behind the sofa- they took a couple of days to be comfortable with
me- probably round about the time they realised who was putting food
in their bowls

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old November 11th 10, 03:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debbie Wilson

Gandalf wrote:

I only have 5 rooms, not including the basement.

The only rooms with doors on them are the bedroom, and the bathroom,
which is just tiny. There's probably only 3 feet by 4 feet of open floor
space.

I spend most of my time in the living room, but it doesn't have a door
on it

OK, I see the dilemma... well it sounds like she's not far away from you
anyway, even if she chooses to stay in the basement at the moment. I'm
sure she will decide everything's fine in her own time :-)

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com