Our cat escaped and came home with torn and missing skin ...

Old July 25th 06, 06:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blangela

Default Our cat escaped and came home with torn and missing skin ...

Our cat escaped (by jumping off of our 12 feet balcony!) and came home
with torn and missing skin from the bottom of the big pads on his two
front feet (like giant blisters). It did not happen from the jump down
from the balcony, because he has done this before with no ill effects.
When has escaped before he only dissappeared for a few hours. This
time he was gone from 7:30 AM until 6:30 AM the next day.

He has not moved much today, though he does not appear to be in shock.
He has been eating and drinking somewhat normally (we have to take the
food to him). We have not noticed him use the litter box yet, but then
he had no food for almost 24 hours, so perhaps this is not so
surprising. He has been home now for approximately 14 hours.

Does anyone have any idea what could have caused the pads of his feet
to become so badly bistered?

Thanks,

Bob

Old July 25th 06, 06:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"blangela" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Despite the fact that he has made this escape before, I think the blisters
could very easily have come from the leap. Surely he did not really leap 12
stories?? Isn't there some "intermediate" spots (such as ledges or other
balconies) that he used to work his way down?

Please try to find some way to make the balcony more secure because this
method of exiting could spell disaster. There is a type of vinyl mesh
product that could be installed around the edge of the balcony and even over
the top to make a "roof." Some of these products are barely visible from a
distance.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o
Recent pics: http://tinyurl.com/clal7

Old July 25th 06, 07:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

He could have had an encounter with a car. That is a common cause of
blistering to the feet (skidding on ashphalt). Might be a good idea to
take him to the vet to make sure there are no internal injuries and
possibly to get a painkiller if his feet are hurting him.

Old July 25th 06, 07:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"blangela" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Uh...yes, of course it could have been a leap of 12 feet. I'm not sure
where my brains were when I wrote that -- on vacation, I guess. However, I
stick with the rest of my response.

MaryL

Old July 25th 06, 11:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy

Take him to the vet. He could have stepped on something hot and burned
his feet. What are you waiting for? If he isn't getting up and moving
on his own to eat, etc. there is something badly wrong.

Old July 25th 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
angel

MaryL wrote:

Uh...yes, of course it could have been a leap of 12 feet. I'm not sure
where my brains were when I wrote that -- on vacation, I guess. However, I
stick with the rest of my response.

that was my first thought, the 12 story..I MEAN 12 FOOT leap...

Old July 25th 06, 07:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ClicketySplit

Is there a neighbor around the area that doesn't like cats in his yard and
may have booby trapped your cat with fly paper or something of the sort? If
so mail him a bag of kitty litter.

ups.com...