Unusually cold weather here

Old January 5th 10, 06:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell[_2_]

Default Unusually cold weather here

Well, we do get snow and ice in the UK, but not usually for such a long
period of time and not so much.
It's been down to -8C regularly at night so I've kept Boyfriend inside with
the gas fire in the kitchen on for him.
It doesn't show much sign of improving so after he's accompanied me in the
morning to feed the chickens (whose drinkers are so solid I have to chip
them out with a screwdriver) I keep him in in the day too. Going out to
help with the chickens gives him a chance to empty his bladder. He
resolutely refuses to use a litter box, even though he has a pristine one.
Poor lad was pretty desperate when I got home from work tonight. He seems
to like using a path with old leaves on and he only just got there..

He's eaten and he now needs a poo, but every time I open the door when he
meows - he's asked 3 times - it's snowing and he turns back.
I just wish he would use the litter box in an emergency snow situation.
But no. He would rather hang on.

Tweed

Old January 6th 10, 05:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
shirleycatuk

Tweed, just a thought but have you tried using potting compost in the tray
instead of cat litter? I've found this works quite well with cats who refuse
to use a tray.

Old January 6th 10, 05:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

shirleycatuk wrote:
Tweed, just a thought but have you tried using potting compost in the
tray instead of cat litter? I've found this works quite well with cats
who refuse to use a tray.

I did the reverse when I'd forgotten to buy cat litter - I put some
garden dirt in the pan.

At least one of my cats refused to use it, using the floor next to it
instead.

--
Cheryl
Old January 6th 10, 05:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Christina Websell wrote:
"Jofirey" wrote in message
[...]

When we lived in Alaska our cat would go out and go in the snow. Molly
hates the litter box too, but will use it in a pinch.

She's cute in the morning when I'm late waking up. She's on top of me
virtually saying "Mommy, please!"

Aw, poor girl! I don't know why Boyfie will not use a litter box, but he
just won't. I think he'd rather burst.
However, he had to do the Alaska cat thing.
At the fourth time of asking for out it had snowed even more but he just had
to do it - he made it 4 feet outside into the snow before it was absolutely
essential and he couldn't wait another second..
Poor lad. Brit cats are not used to this ;-)
He rushed back inside to get beside the fire. Sensible boy.

As a matter of interest when I got up this morning, the temperature at the
top of my stairs was -1C.

Tweed

Baggy has been using Snoopy's litter box the last couple of days, Shadow
still does his business outside but comes straight back in again. Also
Shadow has discovered the heat vents (registers to those in the USA)
where he spends most of the day when he's not eating.

Cats leave pawprints on your heart
Old January 6th 10, 05:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

[...]

My poor fur balls. It has not been this cold in Florida since 1990 it is
40's in the day and in the teen's at a night. I have a few pieces of
winter clothing but all the fur ball are attached to the warm spots along
with the electronic equipment. WE don't have central heat so the house is
cold.

Old January 6th 10, 05:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell[_2_]

"shirleycatuk" wrote in message
Tweed, just a thought but have you tried using potting compost in the tray
instead of cat litter? I've found this works quite well with cats who
refuse to use a tray.

No, but it's a really good idea. The only time Boyfie ever used a tray was
when I was keeping him in overnight for his snip. At that time KFC didn't
need a tray either, so I had no cat litter. I just filled a box with soil
(earth) from the garden and he did use it a few minutes before he met TED.
He'd held on too long even so, he wee'd in it and it took ages for him to
finish, if cats could have a look of relief on their face he would have
done.
Brilliant idea for snowy weather, shirley, I'll try it.

Tweed

Old January 6th 10, 05:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell[_2_]

shirleycatuk wrote:
Tweed, just a thought but have you tried using potting compost in the
tray instead of cat litter? I've found this works quite well with cats
who refuse to use a tray.

I did the reverse when I'd forgotten to buy cat litter - I put some garden
dirt in the pan.

At least one of my cats refused to use it, using the floor next to it
instead.

I suppose it depends on what they are used to. Boyfriend has always refused
to use a litter box with cat litter in but that is probably because he goes
out whenever he wants.
He doesn't know that I know where he likes to poo. In my compost heap which
has crumbled down to nice friable stuff but is frozen atm.
He's very shy about toileting, so I haven't told him I know he wees on the
leaf covered path and uses the compost heap for the other ;-)
Shush, not a word.

Tweed

Old January 6th 10, 06:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep[_4_]

shirleycatuk wrote:
[...]

Mimi say "Dat My Sweet, Bashful, Boyfie"

Of course, Mimi is not very ladylike, and has been known to display all when
relaxing on my desk..... When she does that I tell her that Boyfie would be
very upset!

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
former-blonde

Old January 6th 10, 08:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

I suppose it depends on what they are used to. Boyfriend has
always refused to use a litter box with cat litter in but that is
probably because he goes out whenever he wants.
He doesn't know that I know where he likes to poo. In my compost
heap which has crumbled down to nice friable stuff but is frozen
atm.
He's very shy about toileting, so I haven't told him I know he wees
on the leaf covered path and uses the compost heap for the other
;-)
Shush, not a word.

Tweed

At least he's bright enough. The compost should be quite a lot
warmer than anything else out there and me the last thing to freeze.

Jo