Beware of this Ragdoll breeder

Old January 10th 05, 10:57 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-10, Orchid penned:

Some males are confident enough that they do not spray, and thus are
allowed to roam the house (wearing stud pants).

Am I the only one who got a mental image of a cat strutting about in tight
leather chaps here?

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old January 11th 05, 01:00 PM
Lorraine

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:57:03 -0700, "Monique Y. Mudama"

On 2005-01-10, Orchid penned:

Some males are confident enough that they do not spray, and thus are
allowed to roam the house (wearing stud pants).

Am I the only one who got a mental image of a cat strutting about in tight
leather chaps here?

No, I had envisioned tight disco-style polyester bell bottoms ala John
Travolta/Saturday Night Fever. That evolved into the plaid bell bottoms
of the Festrunk brothers/SNL. I even pictured a cat in these pants
doing the "wild and crazy guys" strut. Never once did it evolve into
leather chaps. Until now.

L.

Old January 11th 05, 02:55 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-11, Meghan Noecker penned:

How old is the kitty? Did they epxlain why they believe it is causing a
problem?

Chase actually had double fangs for about 4 months. The baby teeth finally
fell out on their own. I even managed to find one of them. There were no
problems at all, and I was told it was quite natural to have both sets in
there at one time. So, unless there is a strange situation here, I don't see
how the baby set is impeding the adult set. They come in side by side, and
the old ones fall out when it is time.

I imagine it depends on the particular teeth. As a kid my front teeth came
out the front of my gums. I had a "shark tooth" effect and my front teeth
were angled really badly, so that I couldn't close my upper lip and had to get
braces. If you have that sort of situation in a cat ... well, I don't know
how far kitty orthodontics have come ...

Old January 11th 05, 04:15 PM
catlvr

I am really starting to lose my faith in human beings. I called the
emergency clinic last night where I left the cat. He turned out to be
about 7 or 8 years old, and had suffered apparent frost bite in his
hind legs and tail. He was also dehydrated and had an upper respiratory
viral infection. The woman said his owner came for him, and I said, "oh
great!". Well, she said, the owner didn't want to pay the medical fees
(which were nominal) for the cat and left him there. Can you believe
it??!! Anyway, I told her to keep me posted and if he goes to the SPCA
and doesn't find a home, I will take him. (My husband is just FREAKING
out because of all these cat crises this week. He doesn't understand.)

Old January 11th 05, 04:40 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-11, Lorraine penned:

On 2005-01-10, Orchid penned:

Some males are confident enough that they do not spray, and thus are
allowed to roam the house (wearing stud pants).

Am I the only one who got a mental image of a cat strutting about in tight
leather chaps here?

No, I had envisioned tight disco-style polyester bell bottoms ala John
Travolta/Saturday Night Fever. That evolved into the plaid bell bottoms of
the Festrunk brothers/SNL. I even pictured a cat in these pants doing the
"wild and crazy guys" strut. Never once did it evolve into leather chaps.
Until now.

*grin*

Okay, I had to look them up. Apparently, "stud pants" don't look very studly:

http://www.canvasbackpets.com/ShopSite/product779.html

.... especially with a name like "Hygienic Panty"

I don't quite understand the use, as I suppose they need to be removed at some
point to let the cat actually eliminate ...

Honestly, the more I learn about unaltered pets, the less I understand why
anyone would want to deal with the hassle. And that's aside from the whole
"too many unwanted pets" issue.

Old January 11th 05, 07:57 PM
Orchid

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 09:40:58 -0700, "Monique Y. Mudama"
wrote:

Okay, I had to look them up. Apparently, "stud pants" don't look very studly:

No, they're not exactly the most butch thing out there.

... especially with a name like "Hygienic Panty"

Or 'Bitches Brtiches'. *BFG*

I don't quite understand the use, as I suppose they need to be removed at some
point to let the cat actually eliminate ...

It means that a stud cat can have some time interacting with
the household as a whole and not just be in a stud room. It's a
quality of life issue, and one that most breeders spend a lot of time
thinking about -- how long to keep a male intact, etc.

Honestly, the more I learn about unaltered pets, the less I understand why
anyone would want to deal with the hassle. And that's aside from the whole
"too many unwanted pets" issue.

Well, with dogs it's because dogs must be intact to show --
the AKC takes the stand that the point of showing is to determine
breedworthiness, and an altered dog cannot be bred. For cats, it's
because if someone didn't keep the studs and queens the various breeds
of cats would die out. I personally think that we would be the poorer
for the lack of the responsibly bred purebred cat, but I know that
others disagree.

Orchid
See Orchid's Kitties! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/bengalpage
Want a Purebred Cat? Read This! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/orchid
Old January 11th 05, 08:31 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-11, Orchid penned:
wrote:

I don't quite understand the use, as I suppose they need to be removed at
some point to let the cat actually eliminate ...

It means that a stud cat can have some time interacting with the household
as a whole and not just be in a stud room. It's a quality of life issue,
and one that most breeders spend a lot of time thinking about -- how long
to keep a male intact, etc.

Okay, that makes sense. It's good to know that (some, anyway) breeders
are concerned about this.

How long to keep him intact? Do breeders snip their stud animals after
they're done breeding them? And why would they be done breeding them?

Honestly, the more I learn about unaltered pets, the less I understand why
anyone would want to deal with the hassle. And that's aside from the whole
"too many unwanted pets" issue.

Well, with dogs it's because dogs must be intact to show -- the AKC takes
the stand that the point of showing is to determine breedworthiness, and
an altered dog cannot be bred. For cats, it's because if someone didn't
keep the studs and queens the various breeds of cats would die out. I
personally think that we would be the poorer for the lack of the
responsibly bred purebred cat, but I know that others disagree.

Well, those arguments have been hashed and rehashed a thousand times. I just
wish that a lot of animals didn't have to suffer through some nasty physical
characteristics just to accentuate a supposedly positive breed trait.

Old January 11th 05, 09:01 PM
Dave

In message .com
"catlvr" wrote:

This is the Woodlands Veterinary Clinic in Calgary. Other than that,
they vets I dealt with seemed very nice - this statement really
surprised me.

Ahh okay -- I've never used them, I'm up in the NW.

Old January 11th 05, 09:24 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-11, catlvr penned:
I am really starting to lose my faith in human beings. I called the
emergency clinic last night where I left the cat. He turned out to be about
7 or 8 years old, and had suffered apparent frost bite in his hind legs and
tail. He was also dehydrated and had an upper respiratory viral infection.
The woman said his owner came for him, and I said, "oh great!". Well, she
said, the owner didn't want to pay the medical fees (which were nominal) for
the cat and left him there. Can you believe it??!! Anyway, I told her to
keep me posted and if he goes to the SPCA and doesn't find a home, I will
take him. (My husband is just FREAKING out because of all these cat crises
this week. He doesn't understand.)

Yes, I can believe it. There are some truly irresponsible people out there.

Old January 11th 05, 09:32 PM
Orchid

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 13:31:26 -0700, "Monique Y. Mudama"
wrote:

Okay, that makes sense. It's good to know that (some, anyway) breeders
are concerned about this.

How long to keep him intact? Do breeders snip their stud animals after
they're done breeding them? And why would they be done breeding them?

Yep. A stud cat's 'career' is generally only 3-4 years, and
then they are neutered and placed into pet homes (or kept as a pet by
the breeder). And for why they are done breeding them, you have to
understand the goal of a responsible breeder.
A responsible breeder breeds to improve the breed and to act
as a caretaker for it. Part of being a good caretaker is taking
genetic diversity and population into account. The reason to breed a
stud is in the hopes that he will throw a kitten that is as good as he
is or better. When a stud throws that kitten that is better than he
is, most breeders will keep that kitten and then neuter the stud -- he
has done his job and there's a new 'best' for breeding the best to the
best. If a stud has not thrown a kitten as good or better than he in
a certain number of litters (usually five at the most), then it's
decided that he's probably not going to, and he's neutered because he
doesn't pass on his good traits.

Well, those arguments have been hashed and rehashed a thousand times. I just
wish that a lot of animals didn't have to suffer through some nasty physical
characteristics just to accentuate a supposedly positive breed trait.

I think that the majority of breeds don't have to suffer
through nasty physical characteristics. There are a few, yes, but
most do not.

Orchid
See Orchid's Kitties! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/bengalpage
Want a Purebred Cat? Read This! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/orchid

FeLV testing & breeder responsibility Gail Futoran Cat health & behaviour 12 September 13th 04 05:24 PM
ragdoll star625 Cat rescue 6 June 22nd 04 12:08 AM
ragdoll star625 Cat rescue 8 June 19th 04 10:08 PM
Life as a breeder (of cats!!) Lois Reay Cat anecdotes 14 April 6th 04 07:35 AM
ragdoll cats???? kittykat Cat rescue 6 October 2nd 03 11:06 PM