She must have been a dog in a past life..

Old December 27th 09, 03:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Default She must have been a dog in a past life..

So, years and years ago I bought a little polarfleece dog jacket for
Meep, because she wanted to go out in the yard but it was too cold. It
was an experiment, and I expected her to not accept it. I was wrong.
Aside from walking a little oddly (after all, built for a dog, not for a
cat), she accepted it without fuss.

Today, she wanted to go out the deck but came right back in because it's
too cold. I dug out the old jacket - she hasn't worn it in years - and
put it on her. Once it was on, she made a beeline for the deck door.

She looks a bit silly, black cat wearing a hunter orange jacket, but she
doesn't seem to mind.

Does anyone else put a jacket on your cat for warmth?

jmc
Old December 29th 09, 02:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 13:04:49 -0600, "Kelly Greene"
wrote:

"jmc" wrote in message

Does anyone else put a jacket on your cat for warmth?

jmc

I don't let my cats outside. Too many predators here and an occasional
drunk hunter........ everything that moves looks like a deer to them. :-(

We don't have hunters here in NYC but we do have a lot of traffic. I
let the cats out into the fenced in yard but unless a cat has grown up
on the streets I wouldn't let them go any further. Scooter will be the
exception since he likes going around the block and some of the
neighbors like having him around. He's such a mush. I hope they don't
stop feeding him just because I put a collar on him! That will save a
bit on feeding costs.

But no, I haven't put a coat on any of them. Not that it's a bad idea,
but once it gets really cold (20F or less) only Espy ever wants to go
out, He tolerates the cold very well. My longhair, Nipsy, apparently
doesn't realize that his bloodline is either Maine Coon or Norweigen
Forest Cat. He isn't going outside for more than a minute if it's
cold.
Old December 30th 09, 04:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Kelly Greene exclaimed (12/27/2009 2:04 PM):

"jmc" wrote in message

Does anyone else put a jacket on your cat for warmth?

jmc

I don't let my cats outside. Too many predators here and an occasional
drunk hunter........ everything that moves looks like a deer to them. :-(

Neither does mine... except on the deck, when we're at home. We also
have predators, both four and two legged.

Jmc
Old January 3rd 10, 01:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
honeybunch

How about a photo of your cat with a coat on???? My cat might like
one too. My boy disdains snow entirely. He dislikes v. cold weather
but does not like to poop in the house so he plunges out when the whim
hits him. Also he has secret places he likes to go (???) I never
thought of dressing him up in a polar mini-dog coat for his outdoor
pleasure. Interesting idea.

Old January 13th 10, 04:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

"jmc" wrote in message

Does anyone else put a jacket on your cat for warmth?

jmc

I don't let my cats outside. Too many predators here and an occasional
drunk hunter........ everything that moves looks like a deer to them.
:-(

Neither does mine... except on the deck, when we're at home. We also
have predators, both four and two legged.

Jmc

In the past all my cats were indoor-outdoor cats. I lost every one of
them. None lasted more than a few years. I used to think it was cruel to
keep them inside. My thinking as changed.

**What happened to them...did they get run over...did they stray off and get
lost?

**I need to know. My cat is getting spayed tomorrow and I have to know if
she will be better off with all the feral cats outside. She sure is full of
energy, and seems as if she needs to burn steam out there with other
felines.