cats and MY allergies

Old November 14th 03, 03:51 AM
idohair

Default cats and MY allergies

ok, so i have allergies and i readily accept having cats fostering cats and
working in the shelter with cats..........
and i know my alergies are getting worse, i have been having wheezing in my
chest and runny nose sneezing, the whole nine yards..
so i went to the dr to get something for the weezy chest. he gave me a
lecture on having cats while i have allergies,

then he asked where they sleep, well of course they sleep in my bed.. where
else is a nice fuzzy warm cat supposed to sleep........well did i ever get
hedouble hockey sticks for that.. he watns me to get rid of my cats..... UH
UH !! on freakin way , they leave my house the day they die,
i have no idea what im supposed to do ,
so im on inhalers, claratin and flonase,
how do all the rest of you allergy sufferers cope with the cats??
or am i just a crazy buffoon who is a sucker for punnishment????

ugh..... gotta go blow my nose and take a hoot of my inhaler now ...ugh...

sandra

Old November 14th 03, 05:04 AM
Brenda

"idohair" wrote in message
[...]

I used to be allergic to cats, among other things, but a year of weekly
shots helped. My cats sleep on my bed, and I'm fine.
Brenda

Old November 14th 03, 05:50 AM
Tanada

idohair wrote:

then he asked where they sleep, well of course they sleep in my bed.. where
else is a nice fuzzy warm cat supposed to sleep........well did i ever get
hedouble hockey sticks for that.. he watns me to get rid of my cats..... UH
UH !! on freakin way , they leave my house the day they die,
i have no idea what im supposed to do ,
so im on inhalers, claratin and flonase,
how do all the rest of you allergy sufferers cope with the cats??
or am i just a crazy buffoon who is a sucker for punnishment????

ugh..... gotta go blow my nose and take a hoot of my inhaler now ...ugh...

I'm allergic to cats, but not my cats. I've developed antibodies to
them or something. I also take Allegra, Flonaise, and an inhalant, but
I'm allergic to so many plants that the cats are just another thing.

Mike took desensitization shots to help him with his allergies, and they
may work for you. When the DR. told us to get rid of the cats, Mike sat
up and said "NO WAY are you taking our cats away from us."

Pam S.
Old November 14th 03, 07:17 AM
m. L. Briggs

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 02:51:12 GMT, "idohair" wrote:

[...]

I haven't checked this in a long time -- there used to be a product
called Outright that you would use on a washcloth and wash the cat. I
used it on Princess (RB) when she first came and bothered my
allergies. I only used it a couple of times but it really helped. If
this one isn't available, perhaps there is another brand. I got it at
Petsmart.
Old November 14th 03, 04:33 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

how do all the rest of you allergy sufferers cope with the cats??
or am i just a crazy buffoon who is a sucker for punnishment????

I take an anti-histamine tablet (non-drowsy one) every day. Works for me. I
notice it if I haven't taken one for a few days.

Cheers, helen s

to get correct one remove dependency on fame & fortune
h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o* *l.c**$*$om$$

Old November 14th 03, 09:04 PM
Jo Firey

First I'd get a new doctor. Then I'd consider kicking the little darlins out of the
bedroom. Long term their lives could depend on it.

In order to live with my cats, I have taken allergy shots for at least 20 years. I
keep the dust level and other allergen level in my home as low as possible. I've
used HEPA filters on the furnace and the vacuum cleaner. I've used room air filters.
I've bathed the cats on a regular basis. Wiped them down daily with a damp wash
cloth. Made sure to wash my hands after playing with them. Or even changing my
clothes and showering after brushing them. Changed furnace filters often. And taken
enough allergy meds to pay off the national debt.

Jo

--
"Dogs may have kept us company on the hunt, but it was the cats who
insisted we invent houses and discover fire." -- Khiem Tran

Old November 14th 03, 10:22 PM
polonca12000

I have no experience, but I have heard that people who are allergic aren't
really allergic to cat fur, but to something in cat saliva. Cats lick
themselves and when saliva dries, particles that those people are allergic
to fall off. It has been advised to rub the kitty with a damp cloth, so as
to get rid of the allergen as much as possible.
HTH,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"idohair" wrote in message
ok, so i have allergies and i readily accept having cats fostering cats

and
working in the shelter with cats..........

snip

Old November 14th 03, 10:22 PM
polonca12000

Good for him!
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

snipWhen the DR. told us to get rid of the cats, Mike sat

Old November 15th 03, 12:28 AM
Victor Martinez

Like others, I'd suggest changing doctors first. Then, make sure to use
as many of the following as you can:
- dust mite-proof pillow, mattress, and comforter covers
- wash your bed sheets in hot water, as hot as it will go
- vacuum weekly, make sure your vacuum has a HEPA filter
- buy a hepa filter (electrostatic permanent filters are a waste of
money) for your air recirculation system
- buy a HEPA filter for your bedroom

I think that's about it.... Tom is allergic to everything, so he takes
all the medicines there are and he gets his shots often. I'm not
allergic to anything, so I'm ok.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old November 15th 03, 02:38 AM
Sherry

- dust mite-proof pillow, mattress, and comforter covers
- wash your bed sheets in hot water, as hot as it will go
- vacuum weekly, make sure your vacuum has a HEPA filter
- buy a hepa filter (electrostatic permanent filters are a waste of
money) for your air recirculation system
- buy a HEPA filter for your bedroom

Guys, this stuff works. I can testify to that. Working harder at stuff like
this makes a marked difference. Another suggestion is to put allergen cloths
over your ducts. Cheesecloth if you can't find the allergen cloths. It's
amazing what they catch that is being recirculated through your central
heat/air.

Sherry