Spring is for taking a walk

Old April 22nd 05, 03:53 AM
CATherine

Default Spring is for taking a walk

The last of the blizzard is nearly gone now. And I know there won't be
any more. It is glorious Spring! I know cause I hear the toads
croaking! What a chorus. they must have all woke up at the same time.

Jeff harnessed Robin and I got my walking stick and we rambled across
the pasture listiening to the toads and birds. Robin had to examine a
few gopher holes. We finally ended up at the dammed end of the
spring-fed pond. It is covered with ancient willows, whose softwood
trunks are too massive to stand up; and just lie along the ground. The
ferns are coming up and the currant and chokecherry bushes have green
buds.

There is a trunk with shredded bark and Robin's tail bottles as he
gets near it. Porcupine? We peek over the dam in time to see big
turtles slide into the water; their heads coming above water from time
to time. Along the shore are a couple of killdeer. Red-winged
blackbirds are whistling in the trees. Grackles are making their
unmusical chirp/click. And in the distance we hear the glorious sound
of true spring; the song of the Western Meadowlark.

Robin could care less about bird songs. he is interested in eating
fresh grass and sharpening his claws in real bark and getting some
exercise. The supine willow trunks are natural racing tracks for a
lively cat. He is having the time of his life.

I am anxious to go back next month when the leaves are out and the
pond is filled with ducks and phalaropes and herons and the swallows
swooping above the water. We might even be lucky enough to have a
Kingfisher; there are little fish in the pond. I saw a kingfisher
several years ago. that was the same year 3 migrating pelicans landed
there! Imagine pelicans in the middle of Colorado.

When we finally got back to the house we spied a pair of house finches
on the feeder. I love their song. And the brilliant red of the male.
Robin was tired and fell asleep where he was on Jeff's bed as soon as
the harness came off. He really does need the exercise. We had a good
time and are looking forward to the next time.

--
CATherine
Old April 22nd 05, 03:53 AM
CatNipped

"CATherine" wrote in message
[...]

Oh wow! That sound absolutely wonderful, CATherine! If I could live
anywhere in the US it would be there!

Hugs,

CatNipped

CATherine

Old April 22nd 05, 04:48 AM
Marina

CATherine wrote:
The last of the blizzard is nearly gone now. And I know there won't be
any more. It is glorious Spring! I know cause I hear the toads
croaking! What a chorus. they must have all woke up at the same time.

Sounds like a lovely walk, Catherine. What a treat for Robin. I'm
learning what it's like to have a kitty on my arm every time I'm on the
'puter. Like Robin, Mere wants to be close all the time, except when
she's busy chasing greeblings, of course, or beating up her squirrel.

--
Marina, Frank, Nikki, and introducing: Mere!
Old April 22nd 05, 04:52 AM

When we finally got back to the house we spied a pair of house

finches
on the feeder. I love their song. And the brilliant red of the male.
Robin was tired and fell asleep where he was on Jeff's bed as soon as
the harness came off. He really does need the exercise. We had a good
time and are looking forward to the next time.

--
CATherine

Catherine, what a beautiful descriptive. It made me want to be there.
We are well into spring now, with temps in the high 70's, low 80's.
Trees are pretty well all leafed out, the cherry tree is blooming, the
hyanciths, tulips & lilacs have bloomed and faded, now the irises are
blooming, and all the rosebushes have big buds ready to open. The birds
are now completely ignoring us and the feeders -- they always do when
winter's over. It is my very favorite time of year. I hate winter.
That's the main reason I plant crocuses. They stick their bright little
blooms up sometimes even through the snow, but it's a reminder that
spring *eventually* will come.

Sherry

Old April 22nd 05, 05:12 AM
Hopitus

What a great writer you are, CAT...it made me feel like
I was right there with you all on your walk. I don't know
how you are so sure another snowstorm isn't going to kick our
you-know-whats, but I sure hope you're right!
Here in MileHigh all over the place is some bird that sounds just like a
laughing hyena (that's what I called it
to my son and his wife; they don't know what it is or what it looks like. I
even hear it downtown @ my place
but can't see anything. Do you know what kinda bird here goes
"eh-heh-heh-heh-heh"? LOL. I have not turned into a bird-lover, it just
makes me laugh when I
hear it cackling.....

oups.com...

Old April 22nd 05, 03:56 PM
KittyLady

Thanks for the lovely walk Cat, I really needed that after a long day.
From your story I could feel the sun on my face and for a minute

thought I could smell the pond water. I am glad Robin had such a great
time.
Skritches,
KittyLady

Old April 23rd 05, 08:57 PM
CATherine

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 22:12:58 -0600, "Hopitus"
wrote:

What a great writer you are, CAT...it made me feel like
I was right there with you all on your walk. I don't know
how you are so sure another snowstorm isn't going to kick our
you-know-whats, but I sure hope you're right!
Here in MileHigh all over the place is some bird that sounds just like a
laughing hyena (that's what I called it
to my son and his wife; they don't know what it is or what it looks like. I
even hear it downtown @ my place
but can't see anything. Do you know what kinda bird here goes
"eh-heh-heh-heh-heh"? LOL. I have not turned into a bird-lover, it just
makes me laugh when I
hear it cackling.....

That sounds like a Yellow Warbler. It is a very small yellow bird; the
male is the singer. He has a very loud voice to draw other birds'
attention to himself while his silent drab mate is in another tree
building a nest in secret. I have a pair of them in my yard every
year. One year they built a nest over my flower bed and I kept tabs on
them. When the male would come to visit, he was as silent and
secretive as the female. When he would leave, he would go to the other
side of the yard and be obnoxious to the other birds. It is an
effective way to keep his mate and progeny safe.

Glad you liked my walk story. We greatly enjoyed it. After this many
years I have gotten a feel for when spring is truly here. Although the
weather says we may get a few flakes Sunday/Monday; but I think that
is closer to the mountains.

--
CATherine
Old April 23rd 05, 09:01 PM
CATherine

On 22 Apr 2005 07:56:43 -0700, "KittyLady"
wrote:

Thanks for the lovely walk Cat, I really needed that after a long day.
From your story I could feel the sun on my face and for a minute

thought I could smell the pond water. I am glad Robin had such a great
time.
Skritches,
KittyLady

Happy to oblige. Wish you could have heard the toads chirping and the
birds singing.

--
CATherine
Old April 23rd 05, 09:06 PM
CATherine

On 21 Apr 2005 20:52:53 -0700, wrote:

[...]

I have seen in the City where the trees are blooming and the tulips
and daffodils are about done with. Spring is always later out on the
High Plains where I live. But my squilla was blooming before the
blizzard and was still blooming after it melted off! Tough little
flowers. My other bulbs haven't bloomed. The lilacs and honeysuckle
are just leafing out some. Lilacs are my favorite flower of all time.

--
CATherine