Cats and soy products

Old March 5th 09, 04:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Cats and soy products

Cat health experts:

Does anyone know if soy is good/bad/harmless for cats? This would
include edamame, tofu, and maybe soy milk. Not soy sauce, though. And
I'm not referring to soy mixed into cat food for bulk.

I'm asking this question for a friend, so I don't know all the details.
But she mentioned edamame, which her cat apparently likes, so I figure
she means giving the cat some soy foods that humans eat.

Thanks.
--
Joyce ^..^

Old March 5th 09, 09:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

wrote

Cat health experts:

Dunno as I'm an expert ;-)

Does anyone know if soy is good/bad/harmless for cats? This would
include edamame, tofu, and maybe soy milk. Not soy sauce, though. And
I'm not referring to soy mixed into cat food for bulk.

I's skip the soy milk but if the cat just happens to like a little edamame
bean now and again, it's harmless and similar to a cat that occasionally
will toy with a green bean.

Mine will occasionally like a little cube of tofu that slips into her lunch
'nooner' broth from our cooking. Usually she will just lick it clean but
sometimes she nibbles it.

If it's like that, just a little occasional side treat, then all I can say
is mine has never been harmed by it. She might find a tiny pinky-nail sized
cube in there about once a week that slips in with small bits of cooked meat
we add as a treat.

Now, using it as an actual 'food source' would not be good as I suspect they
cant get any real food value out of them. Filler only.

--- Slight break----
Did a google and soy milk isnt recommended except as an occasional treat. A
japan site makes reference to tofu as a possible food stretcher for
overweight cats to assist in dieting