Onyx: Kitty vs. the Vet

Old April 12th 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan Zeigler

Default Onyx: Kitty vs. the Vet

Onyx: Kitty vs. the Vet

He was a little over three and a half months old, and still small enough
to sit in the palms of your hands.

Even as a tiny kitten, his panther-like body and long legs were vividly
evident--those tremendous paws completed that vision. People would look
at his paws and tell me he was going to be a HUGE cat. I'd laugh and
tell them it was just because his paws had 7 toes.

The time came for his first round of shots and so off to the vet we
went. Happily, he perched on the back "shelf" of my two-seater car and
watched out the window while we drove the 12 or so blocks to the vet.
Once inside, he was instantly curious about the fish tank--so much
better than the one he had at home.

After attempting to weigh him (he was much more interested in escaping
to view the fish), into the examining room we went. The nice lady vet
came in and that incredible jet-engine motor sounded loudly as she cooed
and petted him while we chatted.

He wasn't exactly thrilled when she checked his ears and mouth, and less
so when she touched his tail . . . in fact, the motor stopped running
and an odd high-pitched noise started--the vet and I both held back our
laughter at his attempt to growl menacingly.

Suddenly, without warning, the tiny fuzzy black ball erupted into a
tornadic fury of teeth and claws. He caught my arm with back claws as he
literally twisted head over end and caught her thumb with his teeth.
With both of us trying to hold him down and prevent further injury, she
called for help and first one and then a second assistant came running
posthaste.

It took three of us to hold him still so she could give him the shots (I
don't think she ever managed to get his temperature). It was amazing how
strong he was. All four of us bore wounds in short order, and there were
huge sighs of relief when we were able to let him go. He made a beeline
for me, climbed up my sweater and huddled under my neck.

I was close to tears, feeling awful because he was so scared.

I asked the vet if they are all like that and she smiled reassuringly at
me and tried to nod. She couldn't quite bring herself to do it though,
and finally lost the battle with her conscience, shook her head laughing
and said, "no he's actually the worst I've ever seen".

Thus began the first in a long line of vets whom kitty graced with his
teeth. At one point or another he managed to bite every single one, up
to and including the radiologist near the end.

I've come to believe it was simply his version of "I am kitty, hear me
roar".

*******************************

Early on in the examination, the vet looked at me and said "How old did
you say he was?"

When I replied, she shook her head and said "No, he can't be much more
than 8 or 9 weeks."

I laughed at her, petting him, and let her know he'd been living with me
for seven weeks already.

Who'd have thought that within that tiny little kitten rested a lion not
to be tangled with . . . Onyx 4 -- Susan and vet 0.

--

In loving memory of my Onyx, who always managed to make someone laugh
September 2, 1989 to April 11, 1999
Old April 12th 08, 12:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan Zeigler

Odd, it lost my copyright line. So here it is:

--
-Susan

Copyright © 2008 Susan E. Zeigler
All Rights Reserved
Old April 12th 08, 03:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

On Apr 11, 7:59 pm, Susan Zeigler wrote:
Odd, it lost my copyright line. So here it is:

--
-Susan

Copyright © 2008 Susan E. Zeigler
All Rights Reserved

I always enjoy reading Onyx stories. I'll remember Onyx tonight in my
candle ceremony. Hugs and gentle headbutts to you as well Susan.
Julie, Hobbes, Lacey, Sam and Barnabus
Old April 16th 08, 10:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Susan Zeigler wrote:
Onyx: Kitty vs. the Vet

He was a little over three and a half months old, and still small enough
to sit in the palms of your hands.

snip

What a lovely story about a very special kitty!
Purrs,
Polonca and Soncek
Old April 17th 08, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief

On Apr 11, 4:50 pm, Susan Zeigler wrote:
[...]

Never fails to amaze me how such a cute, itty bitty ball of fluff
could instantly turn into CATZILLA.

Especially when they are kittens.

I remember this one carrier with two kittens and when I reached
inside, one of them suddenly let out this loud HISSSPIT!!!.
"Oooooooo, tough little guy aren't you?" As soon as I scruffed him,
he got all wide-eyed and scared.... But after the shots as SOON as i
put him back he turned around, swatted at me and HISSSPIT again!

And remember two years ago when on my first day of work I got bit by a
5 week old kitten? "I GOT A SET OF MILK TEETH AND I AIN'T AFRAID TO
USE 'EM!!!"

I find Absynnian bitties to be the worst, honestly. I remember one
such kitten, Gracie. She was adorably cute, but if you so much as
LOOKED at her, she would bare her mean fangs and let out such a TINY
hiss.... Honestly, she reminded me of a baby rattlesnake. Kinda
cute, but extremely dangerous. OH man and she was NOT fun to get a
catheter into her for her spay surgery, and she was SUCH a brat
afterwards that the owner boarded her for a week. Because as soon as
she got home she flipped out trying to get the e-collar off and was
making it impossible for the owner to pill her.

love the story!

Kristi

Onyx: All That Glitters Susan Zeigler Cat anecdotes 5 April 15th 07 07:45 PM
Onyx yew heer? Shahna Cat community 9 August 17th 06 07:04 AM
Onyx: Up on a Roof Susan Zeigler Cat anecdotes 14 April 14th 05 09:35 AM
Onyx: A Mouse a Day Susan Zeigler Cat anecdotes 12 April 13th 04 05:30 AM
Has any kitty/human heard from Cory/Onyx? Shahna Cat community 20 January 6th 04 07:32 AM