URGENT TO GINGER-LYN

Old April 16th 08, 02:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default URGENT TO GINGER-LYN

Does anyone know Ginger-lyn's phone number or real email? I wanted to get
this to her before they do surgery on Cosmo...

Ginger-lyn, Demi had the exact same thing - it's called a hematoma - when
Sammy swatted her upside the head. My vet said they could aspirate it, but
it would come back and it would cause a cauliflower ear; or they could do
surgery and the surgery would probably cause a cauliflower ear; or we could
just leave it alone and eventually it would go away, but it would probably
cause a cauliflower ear. Since all the outcomes were the same (except that
the first two could possibly introduce an infection which could be very
bad/fatal), and since Demi is terrified of the vet, we choose to just leave
it alone and it did eventually go down (didn't ever seem to cause her pain).
And, yes, she has a cauliflower ear (but she's still gorgeous).
http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Demi21/

I'm hoping you read this before you subject Cosmo (and your pocketbook) to
surgery.

Hugs,

CatNipped

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See all my masters he http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Old April 16th 08, 02:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

I just e-mailed you the e-mail addresses I've got for her.

Dan

Old April 16th 08, 03:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

On Apr 16, 9:56 am, Daniel Mahoney wrote:
I just e-mailed you the e-mail addresses I've got for her.

Dan

I just read your email and called Ginger-lyn right away but Cosmos is
already in surgery. She expects to hear something between 11 - 12
edt. I asked her to let us know as soon as she could but she has some
things she had to do this afternoon and may not be able to update the
group until later. She does have Merlin giving her meows and purrs -
I could hear her talking to Ginger-lyn the entire time we were
talking. Additional purrs are always welcome, however.
Julie
Old April 16th 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"GaDragonfly" wrote in message
On Apr 16, 9:56 am, Daniel Mahoney wrote:
I just e-mailed you the e-mail addresses I've got for her.

Dan

I just read your email and called Ginger-lyn right away but Cosmos is
already in surgery. She expects to hear something between 11 - 12
edt. I asked her to let us know as soon as she could but she has some
things she had to do this afternoon and may not be able to update the
group until later. She does have Merlin giving her meows and purrs -
I could hear her talking to Ginger-lyn the entire time we were
talking. Additional purrs are always welcome, however.
Julie

ARGH! Oh well, hopefully all will be well with Cosmo - but I'm really
bummed about not seeing this last night and responding. I know Ginger-lyn
is in some financial straits right now (something I can, unfortunately,
relate to) and I'd liked to have told her in time that she could have
avoided this additional expense.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 16th 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Apr 16, 8:35*am, "CatNipped" wrote:
[...]

Just an FYI on hematomas- more often than not they must be repaired
as they cause a lot of pain/discomfort and possibly infection. I have
a cat that had a hematoma and it was quite painful for him. He was
treated (the surgery is fairly minor and is actually kind of cool) and
it was much better to take care of it than force him to deal with the
pain for a prolonged period of time. Treating it quickly also resulted
in his healed ear looking fairly normal as well, although I wouldn't
have loved him any less if he had ended up with a cauliflower ear! You
can see how the surgery looks here (it's in a dog, but the way the ear
looks with stitches is the same for cats):
http://www.thepetcenter.com/sur/hema.html
I think Ginger-Lyn did the right thing to get her kitty's ear fixed.
Old April 16th 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

wrote in message
[...]

Yes, there is some pain - just like when you bruise yourself or get a blood
blister. However, the surgery or aspiration *can* introduce infection. I
would have no idea how an infection could be introduced if there was not
break in the skin were you to let it heal on its own. Moreover, the pain of
an incision and stitches would be, I would think, worse than the bruise-like
pain of the hematoma itself.

More to the point, Ginger-lyn is in such *dire* financial straits now that I
think the vet not giving her the same information my vet gave me is really
unethical.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 16th 08, 07:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Apr 16, 1:18*pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Hematoma's can elicit much more pain than that of a bruise and while
your cat may have been okay, many are not. My cat was a perfect
example and would cry even when his ear was lightly touched. It's not
right to minimize what can be a very painful condition.

More to the point, Ginger-lyn is in such *dire* financial straits now that I
think the vet not giving her the same information my vet gave me is really
unethical.

I don't think you're being fair to the vet, or to Ginger-Lyn for that
matter. From what I've read, her vet is very aware of her situation
and I've never seen her complain about her vet or their
recommendations. Since you didn't see the hematoma or witness the
exam, it is unreasonable to make a judgement as to what treatment
Ginger-Lyn's cat actually needed. I have no doubt Ginger-Lyn would
have asked the vet if there was anything they could do that was non-
surgical and I think she is also smart enough to know when her cat
really needs a necessary treatment. I give her props for getting this
taken care of, even though it was difficult for her financially.
That's the sign of a responsible, caring cat slave.
Old April 16th 08, 07:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

wrote in message

[...]

Of course it hurts to touch a bruise or blood blister (hematoma) why would
you think it would not??! That is not to say that an *untouched* bruise or
hematoma is unbearably painful. I agree there might be a situation where
surgery is mandated, but I also feel you should weigh all your options
before subjecting an animal (or a person) to the risks of anesthesia or the
possible risks to the surgery itself.

[...]

I would say that neither of us is there to judge the severity of the
situation, but it didn't appear to me that her vet had given her the same
information mine gave me.

I'm sorry you find fault in my attempt to get information to her that may
have given her some questions to ask her vet, but please don't imply that I
am *not* a responsible, caring cat slave because my vet gave me different
information to use in my decision making and I chose the more conservative
approach. Choosing *NOT* to spend money one doesn't have when it is *NOT*
necessary is not being irresponsible or uncaring.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 16th 08, 08:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Apr 16, 1:48*pm, "CatNipped" wrote:

Hematoma's can elicit much more pain than that of a bruise and while
your cat may have been okay, many are not. My cat was a perfect
example and would cry even when his ear was lightly touched. It's not
right to minimize what can be a very painful condition.

Of course it hurts to touch a bruise or blood blister (hematoma) why would
you think it would not??! *That is not to say that an *untouched* bruise or
hematoma is unbearably painful. *I agree there might be a situation where
surgery is mandated, but I also feel you should weigh all your options
before subjecting an animal (or a person) to the risks of anesthesia or the
possible risks to the surgery itself.

If you read Ginger-Lyn's original post, she said that the vet said
that if they drained it it would just fill up again and that surgery
was the only option. For that to be the case, it was probably very
similar to my cat's hematoma and I would venture a guess to say that
it was pretty large.

[...]

Again, they said they could drain it but it would just fill up again
and that surgery was the only option. It's clear they gave her the
alternative to surgery and also gave her the likely outcome to that
alternative.

I'm sorry you find fault in my attempt to get information to her that may
have given her some questions to ask her vet,

I did not find fault with what you did, and I never said I did. If you
look at my reply to you I simply pointed out that hematomas can be a
lot more serious than what you dealt with and that surgery is usually
warranted. Hematoma's aren't usually that easy to deal with. That was
all.

but please don't imply that I
am *not* a responsible, caring cat slave because my vet gave me different
information to use in my decision making and I chose the more conservative
approach. *Choosing *NOT* to spend money one doesn't have when it is *NOT*
necessary is not being irresponsible or uncaring.

I never implied anything with regards to you. I said Ginger-Lyn was
doing a great thing to get her kitty taken care of even though the
finances are compromised. It was a compliment to her. If you want to
get defensive about that and twist it to make it about *you* (which it
wasn't) then I think you need to look within yourself rather than
accuse me of doing something I did not do.
Old April 16th 08, 08:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

wrote in message
[...]

My vet also told me if they drained it it would just fill up again. However
he also told me that surgery was *NOT* the only option that leaving it alone
to go away on its own was an option (and in his opionion, since that would
not involve the risks of anesthesia, the surgery itself, or infection from
breaching the skin, the *BEST* option).

I don't think either of us know the size of the hematoma or if that plays a
part in the decision of how to treat it.

[...]

Again, so did my vet say it would fill up again which is why he definitely
would *NOT* recommend that option - however he gave me another alternative
to surgery which, it appears, Ginger-lyn's vet did not give her. I don't
know how to make it any clearer that I was only trying to give Ginger-lyn
information that her vet had obviously not given her. Not all vets are
conservative, not all vets are ethical. I have no idea what Ginger-lin's
vet may be like, but I question him not giving her all the options open to
her. Saying that surgery was the only option is clearly wrong since I chose
another option that worked out perfectly well in the end without the pain of
an incision and stitches, without the risks associated with surgery and
without any drain on my already drained pocketbook.

I'm sorry you find fault in my attempt to get information to her that may
have given her some questions to ask her vet,

I did not find fault with what you did, and I never said I did. If you
look at my reply to you I simply pointed out that hematomas can be a
lot more serious than what you dealt with and that surgery is usually
warranted. Hematoma's aren't usually that easy to deal with. That was
all.

To say that surgery is usually warranted is wrong. Have you ever had a
blood blister in your life? Did your doctor feel the need to operate to
heal it? My vet told me that surgery was not the only option that in fact
it was not the best option.

but please don't imply that I
am *not* a responsible, caring cat slave because my vet gave me different
information to use in my decision making and I chose the more conservative
approach. Choosing *NOT* to spend money one doesn't have when it is *NOT*
necessary is not being irresponsible or uncaring.

I never implied anything with regards to you. I said Ginger-Lyn was
doing a great thing to get her kitty taken care of even though the
finances are compromised. It was a compliment to her. If you want to
get defensive about that and twist it to make it about *you* (which it
wasn't) then I think you need to look within yourself rather than
accuse me of doing something I did not do.

There was a reason I used the work "imply" rather than "state" - do you need
the definition of either word? What Ginger-lyn did might not have been
"great", it may have been an uninformed (by her vet), misguided (by her
vet), wrong decision had something gone wrong during surgery.

It doesn't appear that you are being convinced by anything I have to say and
I'm certain that you are wrong in what you are saying, so lets just agree to
disagree before this gets out of hand.

Hugs,

CatNipped