OT - LA Bans Fast Food

Old August 2nd 08, 05:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Default OT - LA Bans Fast Food

On Aug 2, 11:13�am, "kilikini" wrote:
Sherry wrote:

Yes, people can *really* be nasty that way. My nephew has petit mal
seizures. He's even
had the cops called before and told there was someone "on drugs". And
like Pam mentioned,
people can really be nasty about handicap placards. It just amazes me
to have a total strainger
say "you don't LOOK handicapped". I need to think up a smart-aleck
comeback for that one.
Instead, I stand there like an idiot and explain the whole thing. I've
thought about saying, "OK, you
take the peripheral artery disease, and I'll take the crappy parking
places"

Sherry

This is the whole reason I don't drive a shopping cart. �Every time we go to
the grocery store, my husband asks me to take one of those electric carts so
I can keep up with him. �I refuse and hobble along 30 feet behind him. �If I
rode in a cart I know I'd get looks. �"What's *she* doing in a cart? �She's
young, she's thin..." �I'd rather just try to stick it out walking than
suffer the critical looks and comments (although I probably get them
anyway).

kili-

Me neither!! Even right after surgery, I preferred to hobble around by
pushing a regular cart.
I know those "looks", and I am a lot older than you are! My dad
brought me a cane back then;
I was mortified. It wasn't even a stylish cane that I could whack
young whippersnappers with :-)

Sherry
Old August 2nd 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Sherry wrote:

[...]

ROTFLMAO! You crack me up Sherry! ;

Nose Kisses,

CatNipped

Old August 2nd 08, 07:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Granby" wrote in message
My husband was in a wheel chair for 30 years and we heard all the reasons
for using a handicapped parking space. There was a period of time where
anyone who asked their Doctor could park in one. Except for the
occasional teenager or ladies shopping in a gaggle, well it sounded like
that, we found that sort of sorted itself out.

Heart, emphysema (?), back surgery and such are the many that don't snow
but make walking difficult.

One of the Doctors here in town wrote an extensive article about "Mothers
to be" using spaces marked for them. Said most could use the exercise
unless there really was a medical problem.

That one, ("Mothers to be" spaces) irks me for some reason. Maybe I'm just
a bigger witch than I thought, but I figure that giving healthy young women,
who have no problems spending hours standing around or walking around malls
prime parking spaces is a slap in the face for those of us old f*rts who
don't have serious handicaps but do have problems walking the distance. I'd
like to think that I would have refused to park in those spaces when I was
younger and pregnant, but I don't know. Maybe I'm a more selective witch
than I thought.

Pam S. who needs hugs today

Old August 2nd 08, 07:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Sherry" wrote in message

While I'm on a rant, it would be nice if the vet had a "dog-free zone"
in the waiting room. Dogs
just freak Yoda out so bad.

=================

I'd talk to my vet about that one. Ours tries to keep some distance between
cats and dogs without having designated areas, but some people think that
rules don't apply to them. Miss Calico Girl was menaced by a Yorkshire
Terrorist the last time we took her in to see TED. She was really good
about it, but she was also shivering when we finally got her away from the
little monster. MCG was in her carrier, I wish the terrorist and his human
had been in carriers as well.

Pam S.

Old August 2nd 08, 08:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Aug 2, 5:48*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
hopitus wrote:
On Aug 1, 1:41 pm, "Smokie Darling (Annie)"
wrote:
Now, when I go into a grocery store, with my handicapped placard (my
walking distance is very short), and people *see* me walking (or
hobbling), and I get the "If you lost weight...." line of crap. *I'm
5'10" (1.78 meters) and I weigh about 165 lbs. *The thinnest I've
been as an adult was 145 pounds when I was 25 until 30. *I'm a big
girl, but I'm not fat (my docs want me to *gain* weight because
they say that most of my weight really is my bone structure). *That
however, is a whole *other* soapbox that I could spend weeks and
years on (grr).

Strangers actually have the nerve to say comments about your weight or
handicap to you in stores? Don't you use those little motorized carts
they
have at King Soopers and Krogers? Once when I had a hurt foot I drove
one
when shopping and had a few bad moments with strangers with it (very
slow
braking on the things). No one ever says anything to me except, "are
you
sure you should be in the speed lane?" - they only say that one time.
Guess
I just look different from you, and I don't mean that card you
mention.

It never ceases to amaze me what complete strangers will say. *A dear friend
of mine was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in her early 30's. *This
disease causes (among other things) problems with balance and muscle
control. *Well before she was using a cane (and now a wheelchair) she'd get
comments in the grocery store if she lurched or stumbled, "Go sleep it off!"
or "Lush!". *People would assume she was drunk! *What do you have to do,
wear a big sign around your neck announcing your medical conditions?! *It's
ridiculous. *I felt so bad for her.

Jill

Actually, I found a website once... about invisible disabilities...
One shirt I bought had a small logo above the left breast that said
Invisible Disabilities Org (or something, I've since worn the shirt
out), on the back it said: "If I looked as bad as I feel, you'd shoot
me". That worked for a while (hence why it's worn out).

My best friend has MS. He used to be a barrel with legs. Simple
enough, he was strong and stout. Now he's a string bean, but he's
tough. He fights it every single day. He says he knows it is a
losing battle, but he fights.

SD (Annie)

Old August 2nd 08, 08:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Aug 2, 10:13*am, "kilikini" wrote:
Sherry wrote:

[...]

Exactly. On good days (still more often than not, thank Bast), I use
the cart as a sort of walker, with my cane in it.

It works really well, until the cashier at the newly opened register,
comes over, grabs the front of the cart and starts pulling it toward
the open lane. Not realizing that I can't keep up, and I can't walk
with out the cane that is in the cart now 20 feet ahead of me.

Then they have to come back, apologizing all over themselves. I think
that's worse than being lambasted for parking in handicapped.

Smokie Darling (Annie)
Old August 2nd 08, 08:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Aug 2, 7:10*am, "CatNipped" wrote:
"tanadashoes" wrote in message

m...

"Joy" wrote in message

People who use that weight line are really reaching for a way to be
nasty. I'm 5'5" and I weigh more than you do - and I've never gotten such
comments. Of course, I guess using a handicapped parking space if you
aren't in a wheelchair is excuse enough for some people to be nasty.

I attract jerks, especially those who want to make rude comments about my
fat. *I've tried to develop a thick skin about it, but it hurts when I
hear a kid say "why is that woman fat, mommy?" and the woman answer back
"because she's a pig honey."

Someone once jumped me about parking in the *handicapped spot (we have a
placard around here somewhere) and I said, "Gee, you're right. *My
husband's brain cancer isn't a handicap, and neither is my RA, mobility
problems, or diabetes." *I only used the *handicapped spots when it was
raining and I needed to be able to keep Rob as dry as possible so that he
doesn't get sick.

Pam S.

Those are the people that, Bast forgive me, I wish would fall into
circumstances where they become hugely overweight to the point of
grotesqueness. *Then have others treat them as they treat people!

Happy Tails,

CatNipped

...and those are the ones who'd whine to all and sundry about how
unfair life is, and what did they *ever* do to deserve such a fate.

They never see what they did wrong in themselves.

Old August 2nd 08, 08:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Aug 2, 12:23*pm, "tanadashoes" wrote:
"Granby" wrote in message

[...]

((((((Pam S))))))

Sorry, it's the best I can do.

I never had a child, but I have a beautiful step-daughter and an even
lovelier granddaughter, and the s-d *wanted* to park further away,
so... We'd go the mall or grocery store, I'd stop, get out at the
door, she'd move into the driver's seat and go park, and we'd shop
together. Then afterward, she'd go get the vehicle, bring it to curb,
get back into the passenger seat, and I'd get in the driver's seat.
Worked great for both of us. We didn't like shopping alone.

Smokie Darling (Annie) - She didn't care to drive my vehicle, being
the reason she didn't drive from the house.
Old August 2nd 08, 08:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"tanadashoes" wrote in message
news

"Granby" wrote in message
[...]

I sure wish I could give them in person! How's it going, hon? Are you
managing to hang in there?

Chin Skritches,

CatNipped

Old August 2nd 08, 09:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Sherry" wrote in message
On Aug 2, 9:24?am, Sherry wrote:
On Aug 2, 8:43 am, "Granby" wrote: My husband was
in a wheel chair for 30 years and we heard all the reasons
for using a handicapped parking space. There was a period of time
where
anyone who asked their Doctor could park in one. Except for the
occasional
teenager or ladies shopping in a gaggle, well it sounded like
that, we found
that sort of sorted itself out.

Heart, emphysema (?), back surgery and such are the many that
don't snow but
make walking difficult.

One of the Doctors here in town wrote an extensive article about
"Mothers to
be" using spaces marked for them. Said most could use the exercise
unless
there really was a medical problem."CatNipped"
wrote in message

On the other hand, I think moms with babies and a gaggle of very
small
children could use their
own preferred parking place. Ever see them trying to herd little
ones,
while lugging an infant in
one of those huge car-seat things, PLUS their groceries. Sometimes
it's not possible to "leave the
kids at home."
Oh well. I guess that's why babies are for the young and energetic!

Sherry

While I'm on a rant, it would be nice if the vet had a "dog-free zone"
in the waiting room. Dogs
just freak Yoda out so bad.

Sherry

Most of them do have separate waiting rooms for dogs and cats.

The vet we had forty years ago for Sam had completely separate waiting
rooms. You came in to the foyer and went thru a door to the left for
cats and a door to the right for dogs.

One place we board our cats also have a soundproofed room for the cat
cages so they cant hear the fuss in the rest of the hospital. It even
has a large picture window so they can see out to amuse themselves.

Jo