OT - LA Bans Fast Food

Old August 4th 08, 08:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default OT - LA Bans Fast Food

"John F. Eldredge" wrote in message
On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 22:40:34 -0400, tanadashoes wrote:

"CatNipped" wrote in message

LOL! Yeah, seat belts are a personal peeve to me too - I had a friend
who allowed her children to stand up in the back seat of her car - she
wondered why I never let my children go anywhere with her!

Nose Kisses,

Nose Kisses, doing much better Lori.

My kids used to really upset some of those people, usually women, who
let their kids ride without wearing their seat belts or in a car seat.
Mandy would stare at them in the parking lot then loudly say to Mike
"They don't love their kids any." Mike, playing along would ask why.
Mandy would say "They don't want to keep them safe and buckle their seat
belts." I'd pretend that I didn't hear them and the offending parents
couldn't/wouldn't call me on it. I think they knew they were in the
wrong.

Pam S

I was in a checkout lane today, and the family ahead of me was letting
their one-year-old use a propane cigarette lighter as a teething toy. I
finally spoke up and said, "You shouldn't let the baby play with that.
He may burn himself." The father then took the lighter away from the
baby. I just hope they don't let him play with the lighter at home. He
is likely to burn down the house.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from

The propane could also leak out and he could be poisoned. Those people were
idiots. I hope your comment really made them stop and think.

Joy

Old August 5th 08, 10:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

tanadashoes wrote:
That one, ("Mothers to be" spaces) irks me for some reason. Maybe

I'm just
a bigger witch than I thought, but I figure that giving healthy young women,
who have no problems spending hours standing around or walking around malls
prime parking spaces is a slap in the face for those of us old f*rts who
don't have serious handicaps but do have problems walking the distance. I'd
like to think that I would have refused to park in those spaces when I was
younger and pregnant, but I don't know. Maybe I'm a more selective witch
than I thought.

Pam S. who needs hugs today

Lots and lots of hugs and purrs,
Polonca and Soncek
Old August 7th 08, 11:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

John F. Eldredge wrote:
On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 09:16:52 +1000, Yowie wrote:

car-door ding scam story

I once had a co-worker who had just bought his first car, a former
Post- Office Jeep that had been repainted battleship gray. He came
to work one day highly upset because someone in a car parked next to
him had claimed that my co-worker had dinged his car door, pointing
to a smudge of gray paint in the ding as proof. My co-worker had
pointed out, to no avail, that his Jeep had sliding doors, not
outward-opening doors, so that it was impossible for him to have
caused the ding in question. My co-worker had finally given up the
argument and driven off, to threats of "I will call the police and
report that you left the scene of an accident." I predicted that,
once the other driver calmed down enough to start thinking, he would
probably be so embarrassed that my co-worker would never hear from
him again. Sure enough, he never heard anything from the other
driver.

I was rear-ended while turning into a shop parking lot on a corner. A car
full of people whipped around the corner and drove right into me. When the
police came these jokers tried to say the foot long, obviously old, dark
blue scratch along the side of their car was my fault. Forget the fact that
they'd hit the back of my car; my car was light green. The police laughed
at them and gave them a ticket.

Jill

Old August 8th 08, 10:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

jmcquown wrote:
John F. Eldredge wrote:
[...]

I was once engaged in a "fender bender" when someone ran a red light and
dented my front fender. The light was so throughly green for me that a
couple of pedestrians, also crossing with the light, had to step pretty
lively to avoid being hit by him, too. (Fortunately, I collected their
names and phone numbers as witnesses.) Since the law required us to
exchange insurance info, we did so, but I thought no more about it until
I got a call from the other guy's insurance company, claiming he had
"damage"! (You should have heard my phone call to that insurance
agent!) Of course, the agent only knew what his client told him, but
upon hearing I had witnesses (who were nearly "casualties") to his
client running a red light, he conceded defeat. (I always try to get a
police report, but in L.A., the police are very reluctant to take the
time to appear, unless someone claims to be injured.)
Jill

Old August 8th 08, 11:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Since this topic has come up again (I'm referring to the original subject),
I've read more about the LA ban. They are *not* planning to get rid of
any fast-food restaurants or make them "illegal".

It's a *one-year* moratorium on the opening of any *new* fast-food
places in several low-income neighborhoods in south LA. It was
initiated by residents living in those neighborhoods, who are tired
of not having enough healthy choices for themselves and their kids.
They believe that the moratorium might give the neighborhoods time
to lure some better restaurants and grocery stores to their areas.

Here's an article about it:
http://www.organicconsumers.org/arti...icle_13834.cfm

I support community residents doing what they can to improve their
own neighborhoods. The article expresses some doubt as to whether this
will be successful, and I wonder that myself. But I don't blame the
residents for that. I just think a lot of businesses will be afraid
or unwilling to go there.

rant (Don't be afraid, it's fairly mild. )

One thing about this issue that seriously annoys me is the whole
focus on "obesity". So if someone eats nothing but junk food and they
just happen to have a high metabolism, so they don't gain any weight,
that means they're healthy? I really believe that the "fat is unhealthy"
attitude is just a more polite way of saying "we think you're ugly".

We should all be paying far more attention to what's going on inside
our bodies rather than on our external appearance. We should be focusing
on internal numbers: blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol, liver
function, CBC count, etc, all of which can be affected by diet and other
environmental factors - and not so much on the numbers on the scale or
the measuring tape.

/rant

--
Joyce ^..^