Cheeky, Boo, and Gnarly: Cats of My House, Cats of My Heart.

Old September 9th 04, 01:42 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"Steve G" wrote in message
om...
"Mary" wrote in message

om...
(...)
Demelza in abpa. I am just learning how to use my camera--it is a Nikon
4300. When I put the "red eye out" flash feature on, I get those

chatreuse
glowing eyes. Do you know how I would set it to have the cats look

directly
at me and not have weird eyes?

Basically, you can't reliably - at least with the onboard flash of a
P&S camera. You can:

i) Get an external flash (if available) - bouncing the flash off a
nearby wall will reduce redeye.
ii) Avoid using flash by either increasing the ISO value of your shots
(with increased noise, alas), or using a slower shutter speed (with a
risk of blurry pix).
iii) Remove the redeye in software.
iv) Somehow pursuade the cat to look at the camera at the critical
point when redeye reduction is in effect (ha! Good luck!).

My inability to get non-redeye cat pix with my P&S camera was one
reason I upgraded to something better than said P&S.

But... the digital P&S I bought (Canon PowerShot S410, after reading a slew
of reviews for 2 weeks) was *already* pricey, IMO. Something better?
Ackkk! (price)

Cathy

Steve.

Old September 9th 04, 02:01 AM
Mary

"Steve G" wrote in message
om...
"Mary" wrote in message

om...
(...)
Demelza in abpa. I am just learning how to use my camera--it is a Nikon
4300. When I put the "red eye out" flash feature on, I get those

chatreuse
glowing eyes. Do you know how I would set it to have the cats look

directly
at me and not have weird eyes?

Basically, you can't reliably - at least with the onboard flash of a
P&S camera. You can:

i) Get an external flash (if available) - bouncing the flash off a
nearby wall will reduce redeye.

Like pros use. Hmm. Too much trouble, but good to know.

ii) Avoid using flash by either increasing the ISO value of your shots
(with increased noise, alas), or using a slower shutter speed (with a
risk of blurry pix).

This is useful.

iii) Remove the redeye in software.

This too, thanks.

iv) Somehow pursuade the cat to look at the camera at the critical
point when redeye reduction is in effect (ha! Good luck!).

My inability to get non-redeye cat pix with my P&S camera was one
reason I upgraded to something better than said P&S.

Do you mean a camera with no automatic setting when you say
"better than a point and shoot?" I was impressed that the Nikon
Coolpix 4300 would allow me to set the shutter speed and ISO.
Do I have to spend 3K for non P&S? I waited years for the kind
I have to go down from $800 to $200. And then waited for a sale.

Old September 9th 04, 02:04 AM
Mary

"Cathy Friedmann" wrote in message

But... the digital P&S I bought (Canon PowerShot S410, after reading a

slew
of reviews for 2 weeks) was *already* pricey, IMO. Something better?
Ackkk! (price)

The Canon was my first choice until someone pointed out how user-friendly
the Nikon Coolpix is--it is relatively large and has a good weight in the
hands--
doesn't make me feel I am all thumbs like tiny cameras do. It also has very
logical
controls. I don't mean compared with the Canon as I have never actually held
one.
But I do mean that whoever said this about the Coolpix was right. Before I
saw those
comments I had not thought about how important comfort in the hand and ease
in
use really is. In cameras and vacuume cleaners!

Old September 9th 04, 02:40 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"Mary" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Vacuum cleaners. O-kay... ;-P

Whereas I wanted the camera to be as small & lightweight as possible (IOW
pocket friendly), yet have other features I was looking for - along w/ good
ratings. So some of our criteria were different.

Cathy

Old September 9th 04, 04:10 AM
Mary

"Cathy Friedmann" wrote

use really is. In cameras and vacuume cleaners!

Vacuum cleaners. O-kay... ;-P

Plllbt! Whenever I am online this much it means a
twelve hour day at work. I'm tired.

Whereas I wanted the camera to be as small & lightweight as possible

(IOWpocket friendly), yet have other features I was looking for - along w/
good
ratings. So some of our criteria were different.

Yep. Meanwhile, I wish I could fix my word wrap.
:-(

Old September 9th 04, 04:47 AM
MacCandace

I love tuxedos. Especially unusual ones like Boo & Cory. My Bootsie has a
solid
black face, but a white chin. It gives her a very petulant expression.

My new terror, Marbles, is also a tux with a messy face. Kind of a lightning
strike looking mark down his face. I should post a pic of him to my yahoo
thing but, if I recall, last time I tried it was a pain. For some reason, some
of the ones I tried to upload didn't work, it kept saying they were the "wrong
size," even though they were the same size as the ones that I was able to
upload. Maybe I'll try to figure it out this weekend.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)