Dog in a cat suit

Old May 5th 06, 05:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Dog in a cat suit

Recently, I've been taking walks with Smudge around my neighborhood.
She follows me all over the place, without a leash. Of course, being
a cat, she has to take little side trips into people's yards, to check
out their gardens and driveways. I'll just keep walking.

All of a sudden I hear this "Meow!" which means that she can't see me
anymore. (At least, I think that's what it means - I think she's trying
to find out where I went.) So I call to her, and she'll come trotting
around a corner and down the sidewalk toward me. It's so cute.

The neighbors love it. I get lots of comments and jokes from people.
Yesterday I walked by this couple who were walking with their baby in
a stroller, and they were very amused by the fact that I was out
"walking the cat". We were actually standing in front of their house,
and they had a calico who was sitting in their walkway, hiding around
the corner behind some bushes, and peering out cautiously at Smudge.
Then she came out and started inching slowing toward Smudge, who
registered her displeasure by issuing a low growl. The calico came
closer and the two had a little face-off. We all stood and watched.

Finally, the tension became a little too tight, so I said, "OK,
enough!", swooped up Smudge, and carried her away from the other cat.
Then a little later, I saw the couple with the baby on the other
side of the street, and their cat was trotting along behind them! I
guess it must have been "walk your cat" day.

Joyce
Old May 5th 06, 03:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 05 May 2006 04:43:23 GMT, yodeled:

[...]

How sweet!

Theresa
Stinky Pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Make Levees, Not War
Old May 5th 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Joyce, I was quite surprised the first time a cat wanted to walk with me,
too, but since then I've learned that they almost all will do it. This
discovery happened in the desert in Arizona, where I eight felines often
accompanied me on my walks. It was so special, being trailed by a single
file line of cats stretching back 10-15 feet behind me.

Later, after I moved to the Ozarks with the three remaining cats (January
1998), it had been an established routine for years, and so we continued
these walks. Those three cats are all at the RB now, but their successors
went everywhere with me on the farm. Usually they would all come along on
the walks, but when Abelard arrived, he was too small at first to keep up
with us, so Baby Eyes started staying home with him until he got bigger.

Baby Eyes continued sitting with Billy and Lily until the got big enough to
go on walks. That didn't take long at all. Beatrice was ready to walk with
us after the first few weeks.

It was always an adventure walking with the cats. And yes, whenever anyone
got too far off from the group to have visual contact, they would cry and
wait for me to answer, then come running to rejoin us.

I only wish we could still walk outside together. I don't dare take them
leashless on the streets of town.

Old May 5th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pat wrote:

Joyce, I was quite surprised the first time a cat wanted to walk with me,
too, but since then I've learned that they almost all will do it. This
discovery happened in the desert in Arizona, where I eight felines often
accompanied me on my walks. It was so special, being trailed by a single
file line of cats stretching back 10-15 feet behind me.

What a wonderful image!

It was always an adventure walking with the cats. And yes, whenever anyone
got too far off from the group to have visual contact, they would cry and
wait for me to answer, then come running to rejoin us.

That's interesting. I was surprised when Smudge did that - I expected
her to just wander in and out, and appear on the sidewalk from time to
time to trot alongside me for a while before taking another side trip.

Joyce
Old May 6th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

When I was a kid, we lived in Metchosin, which is a pretty rural area
outside of Victoria BC. We had a cat, a big black fluffy boy named
Nicky. About a 1km walk from the house was a park with a trail through
the forest to a lagoon. There were waterfalls, bridges over streams,
etc. It was really nice.
Often we would go for a walk there as a family, it would take about 2
hours to complete the circuit. Nicky would quite often follow along the
whole time, even through the forest. He would trot along behind us and
if he fell too far behind, we would wait and call and he would catch up.
The only thing was, we had to make sure not to leave the walk too late
in the day or the racoons would come out and we didn't want Nicky to
encounter any.
--
Britta
Purring is an automatic safety valve device for dealing with happiness

Old May 8th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:
Pat wrote:

Joyce, I was quite surprised the first time a cat wanted to walk with me,
too, but since then I've learned that they almost all will do it. This
discovery happened in the desert in Arizona, where I eight felines often
accompanied me on my walks. It was so special, being trailed by a single
file line of cats stretching back 10-15 feet behind me.

What a wonderful image!

It was always an adventure walking with the cats. And yes, whenever anyone
got too far off from the group to have visual contact, they would cry and
wait for me to answer, then come running to rejoin us.

That's interesting. I was surprised when Smudge did that - I expected
her to just wander in and out, and appear on the sidewalk from time to
time to trot alongside me for a while before taking another side trip.

Joyce

When we lived in our last place, the kitties were allowed outside there,
they would follow me a few blocks, but then go off on their own errands
or head back home
they would even follow the neighbor's around occasionally, but i found
out the neighbor was feeding tuna to possum.. he's a very friendly cat.
He also had girlfriends hanging about the house (and he's been
neutered for years!!) he just likes the company of other cats.. Tygra on
the other hand, barely tolerates possum's presence, even though they've
been together for years, they don't cuddle with each other, but do
play/fight occasionally.

Kristy
Old May 8th 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:
Pat wrote:

[...]

they would even follow one of our neighbors around occasionally, but i