Soft Paws

Old July 1st 03, 08:13 AM

Default Soft Paws

In rec.pets.cats.health+behav Tara wrote:
This, IMO, is more the equivalent of asking how to go about dealing with
a dog who is particularly hard to housebreak. Some dogs housebreak
easily, some are incredibly difficult. Just because someone is having a
harder time with theirs than you had with yours doesn't make them lazy,
nor does it make them unconcerned.

Once agian, I was responding to who I quoted to...

And anyways, when I said that I had more in mind people getting dogs and
then wondering why they were chewing things up, or wanting to stick the
dog in a crate for 8 hours! Or buying dogs without doing any sort of
research on the breed they get or even on how to care for the dog! (or
cat).

Or just getting whatever pet they can get first or if it looks cool with
no regard to whether they can care for the pet or if they are even
supporting thigns like puppy mills.

I hope she never gets another pet of *any* kind. But these examples and
your subsequent labeling of *all* people experiencing difficulty is
pretty misplaced. You're defining anyone who asks how to resolve an
issue as though they were the above extreme examples....and they're just
not the same.

No, I'm just pointing out examples of why I have such a low opinion of
most people in general. I just feel that at least 50% of people with pets
treat them like throwaway objects. As I have said, i wasn't using this to
direct this at any person on this thread, the commetn the person I quoted
made me feel like ranting on something that has been bothering me.

If it makes you feel better I applaud people who actually look liek they
are generally interested in learning how to train their pets and get along
with them. But I find they are far too few. A lot just want magical cures
(like wanting barking collars to cure their dogs barking without having to
work witht he dog themselves).

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old July 1st 03, 08:49 AM
*~*SooZy*~*

"Joe" wrote in message
"P.D." wrote:

I tried to train my cats, and they are just stubborn,

Cats need to use their claws.

Lean a carpet wrapped 2x4 against something and put their dry food at the
top of the climb. Let them know the food is up there. Then you have
solved the stubborn problem, they have to eat. Conceivably, there is a
point at which the climb can be made long enough so that they will be too
tired to scratch anything else. In any case, the perpetual climbing
constantly reminds them that the carpet wrapped 2x4s are great for
scratching. My cats quickly figure out they are for scratching,
really sinking their claws into, and having fun. You might have to adjust
for a weaker cat.

Good luck.

Out.

LShaping

that's a brilliant idea, good thinking :-)

Old July 1st 03, 08:58 AM
*~*SooZy*~*

"P.D." wrote in message
. net...
are you brain dead? I said I tried training, I spend a lot of time

trying,
my cats just don't respond to it.

excuse me if you go back to the first posting of soft post it say
copy and pasted

After reading about declawing, I decided not to do it. I wanted to know if
anyone here uses "Soft Paws"? Are they hard to apply? Do they really work?
Cats don't get them off by scratching them allot of scratching posts or
anything?

thanks

Steve

its doesn't say anything there about you had tried training already, hence
my reply!

Old July 1st 03, 08:46 PM
Joe

Laura A. Robinson wrote:
Joe ) said,

Why not clip the cat's claws?

If you'd like, I can post pictures of my cats' very short,
very *sharp* claws.

Go ahead and post pictures, please. I will take a look. Thanks.

Old July 2nd 03, 01:01 AM
Tara

*~*SooZy*~* wrote:
"P.D." wrote in message
. net...

are you brain dead? I said I tried training, I spend a lot of time

trying,

my cats just don't respond to it.

excuse me if you go back to the first posting of soft post it say
copy and pasted

And in one of the next posts he wrote in the thread, he mentioned having
tried training.

I'm extremely glad he's decided against having his cats toes cut off,
but some of the posts in this thread really seem misplaced and unfair.

Tara

Old July 2nd 03, 04:11 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"Laura A. Robinson" wrote in message
.net...
circa Tue, 01 Jul 2003 20:01:44 -0400, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
Tara ) said,
but some of the posts in this thread really seem misplaced and unfair.

Some of the posters here are much more concerned with furthering
their own agendas than with actually reading what is written and
evaluating it on its own merits. And then there are the just-plain-
freaks like ol' Joe there.

Laura

I just noticed that "Joe" is "L Shaping" - shades from the past...

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old July 2nd 03, 04:16 AM
Tara

Laura A. Robinson wrote:
circa Tue, 01 Jul 2003 20:01:44 -0400, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
Tara ) said,

but some of the posts in this thread really seem misplaced and unfair.

Some of the posters here are much more concerned with furthering
their own agendas than with actually reading what is written and
evaluating it on its own merits. And then there are the just-plain-
freaks like ol' Joe there.

Yeah, I read that little exchange there.

All I can say is you'll fit right in here in NYC. heh heh heh.

Tara

Old July 2nd 03, 04:22 AM
Tara

Cathy Friedmann wrote:
"Laura A. Robinson" wrote in message
.net...

circa Tue, 01 Jul 2003 20:01:44 -0400, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
Tara ) said,

but some of the posts in this thread really seem misplaced and unfair.

Some of the posters here are much more concerned with furthering
their own agendas than with actually reading what is written and
evaluating it on its own merits. And then there are the just-plain-
freaks like ol' Joe there.

Laura

I just noticed that "Joe" is "L Shaping" - shades from the past...

I don't get the reference.

Tara

Old July 2nd 03, 11:58 AM
*~*SooZy*~*

"Tara" wrote in message
*~*SooZy*~* wrote:
"P.D." wrote in message
. net...

are you brain dead? I said I tried training, I spend a lot of time

trying,

my cats just don't respond to it.

excuse me if you go back to the first posting of soft post it say
copy and pasted

And in one of the next posts he wrote in the thread, he mentioned having
tried training.

I'm extremely glad he's decided against having his cats toes cut off,
but some of the posts in this thread really seem misplaced and unfair.

Tara

yes, very true but I had already replied by then! if you check the posts
and times you will see that.... It's just some people don't even try to
train their cats just find a fast and easy way to stop them, and it makes me
cross! if training has been tired and not worked for them ok maybe you need
to use another method!

Hands and untouchable paws jmcquown Cat anecdotes 13 December 2nd 04 07:24 PM
Just put "Soft Paws" on my cats P.D. Cat health & behaviour 2 July 19th 03 01:23 AM
Soft Paws Liz Cat health & behaviour 47 July 5th 03 06:37 AM
Soft Paws Liz Cats - misc 1 July 1st 03 08:16 AM