Amber worried me

Old June 16th 11, 12:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

Default Amber worried me

Yesterday Amber didn't want any lunch (a small amount of Innova dry) and
then wouldn't eat any supper. I worried all night that I might have to
take her to the vet today. This morning she ate more than usual for
breakfast so I guess she is okay. Last night I tried to take her
temperature with my ear thermometer. It read 102.4. This morning it
was about 98. I don't know if the ear method is valid for cats and what
the "normal" temperature should be.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old June 16th 11, 04:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On 2011-06-16, ---MIKE--- wrote:
Yesterday Amber didn't want any lunch (a small amount of Innova dry) and
then wouldn't eat any supper. I worried all night that I might have to
take her to the vet today. This morning she ate more than usual for
breakfast so I guess she is okay. Last night I tried to take her
temperature with my ear thermometer. It read 102.4. This morning it
was about 98. I don't know if the ear method is valid for cats and what
the "normal" temperature should be.

Ear temperatures might not be reliable. Cats run about 102.5 deg F
rectally. Good luck doing that single handedly. I usually could tell
when my cats were feverish just by picking them up. They felt hot.

Bud
Old June 16th 11, 07:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

On 2011-06-16, ---MIKE--- wrote:

Yesterday Amber didn't want any lunch (a small amount of Innova dry) and
then wouldn't eat any supper. I worried all night that I might have to
take her to the vet today. This morning she ate more than usual for
breakfast so I guess she is okay. Last night I tried to take her
temperature with my ear thermometer. It read 102.4. This morning it
was about 98. I don't know if the ear method is valid for cats and what
the "normal" temperature should be.

Ear temperatures might not be reliable. Cats run about 102.5 deg F
rectally. Good luck doing that single handedly. I usually could tell
when my cats were feverish just by picking them up. They felt hot.

Bud

One of the major rules of modern medicine is "don't stick ear thingies
in your butt!" and
Bud is right on. Go down to Petsmart or Petwhatever & get a *cat*
thermometer. I have
never had a bit of trouble getting a rectal reading while shoving
treats in the other end
of my cats. I am not, however, small and weak, which I know Mike is
not either. Snork.
OTOH very hard to tell if cats are just off their feed one day OR not
feeling good as they
hide the latter very well. I am sorry Amber gave you a scare but
MileHigh purrs for her
good health.

TuTu gave me a scare Tuesday night (really, the very first time). She
had not eaten much that day and seemed listless. That evening she went
to the litter box and made a big very odorous****. After that she was
back to the pan every few minutes. I couldn't tell if it was a tummy
ache or if it might be a urinary problem It was late and I was worried
as I had no way to get her to a Vet. (I can't even lift her) I kept
talking to her and tried to soothe her and I told her she would have to
"tough it out" until morning. She did cry out several times and it made
me feel awful. She finally seemed calmer and eventually went to her bed
to sleep. I awakened several times during the night to check on her and
she was sleeping. I was afraid she had died. Guess what" In the
morning she was her old sweet self and has been ever since. (Why
meomies go grey).