[OT] Ferret bites off baby's fingers

Old January 11th 11, 02:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

Default [OT] Ferret bites off baby's fingers

Be careful about having certain kinds of pets around babies, who can't
get away if the pet starts playing too roughly. A pet ferret managed to
get into a room with a four-month-old baby, and bit off seven fingers.

http://www.kmbc.com/r/26435615/detail.html

--
John F. Eldredge --
"Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly
Old January 11th 11, 04:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf[_2_]

On 11 Jan 2011 14:38:57 GMT, "John F. Eldredge"
wrote:

Be careful about having certain kinds of pets around babies, who can't
get away if the pet starts playing too roughly. A pet ferret managed to
get into a room with a four-month-old baby, and bit off seven fingers.

http://www.kmbc.com/r/26435615/detail.html

That is just HORRIBLE!

I always wondered why they are illegal in some places....the Communist
Rebublik of Kalifornia, on the Left Coast of the USA, comes to mind....

But, I've NEVER heard of a ferret managing to KILL some one.

That explains why breeds of dogs known for their aggressive
personalities ARE still legal there...
Old January 11th 11, 04:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~[_2_]

wrote:

Be careful about having certain kinds of pets around babies, who can't
get away if the pet starts playing too roughly. A pet ferret managed to
get into a room with a four-month-old baby, and bit off seven fingers.

http://www.kmbc.com/r/26435615/detail.html

That is just HORRIBLE!

I always wondered why they are illegal in some places....the Communist
Rebublik of Kalifornia, on the Left Coast of the USA, comes to mind....

But, I've NEVER heard of a ferret managing to KILL some one.

That explains why breeds of dogs known for their aggressive
personalities ARE still legal there...

----

The ferret didn't kill anyone... or did I miss something??

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Laurie
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸ ·.·

*~*LiveLoveLaugh*~*

All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
~Abraham Lincoln

Old January 11th 11, 04:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"John F. Eldredge" wrote in message
Be careful about having certain kinds of pets around babies, who can't
get away if the pet starts playing too roughly. A pet ferret managed to
get into a room with a four-month-old baby, and bit off seven fingers.

http://www.kmbc.com/r/26435615/detail.html

Ferrets are not pets in the true sense of the word - I used to keep them for
years. My husband used to keep them, rather, for rabbiting which is what
they do and they were kept outside in hutches.
They can be quite nice if handled correctly but as a housepet definitely not
suitable around small children and definitely not near a baby.
One day my late husband came back from the pub having had a little too much.
He felt friendly towards his ferrets and got one out to tell her how much he
loved her. He held her in the air and kept bringing her towards and away
from his face - like you would a baby to make it laugh.
I could see the ferret was not impressed, so I told him to stop as she was
opening her mouth every time his face came near.
Pointless to tell someone intoxicated what to do..he insisted she was fine
with it and continued with a drunken idea of "how I love my ferret."
She was not fine with it at all. She bit him through the lip and held on.
Served him right.
It was me who had to prise her teeth off. No sympathy with a swollen lip
along with a hangover in the morning.
I'd handreared this ferret along with her siblings from 5 days old when the
mother died (not mine, but a friends but I knew he would not get up in the
night to feed them) but it has to be realised that they are not domesticated
and I would only advise them as a pet for adults even though they are clever
and funny and can be housetrained to use a corner.
That's more than I wanted to say about ferrets.
Tweed

Old January 11th 11, 05:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 11:52:55 -0500, "~*LiveLoveLaugh*~"
wrote:

I always wondered why they are illegal in some places....the Communist
Rebublik of Kalifornia, on the Left Coast of the USA, comes to mind....

I think the ferret business in California is related to wildlife
protection, to keep feral ferrets from killing off native species.

Bud
Old January 11th 11, 06:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

Default Ferret bites off baby's fingers

wrote:
I always wondered why they are illegal in some places....the Communist
Rebublik of Kalifornia, on the Left Coast of the USA, comes to mind....

I think the ferret business in California is related to wildlife
protection, to keep feral ferrets from killing off native species.

Which is bizarre since the ferrets sold in the pet trade in the U.S.
have no concept of hunting. I have seen pet ferrets ignore mice that a
cat went after in a heartbeat. Of course, that may have been the
result of that cat's dominance over those ferrets.

--
Will in New Haven

Old January 11th 11, 06:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Jan 11, 11:53*am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"John F. Eldredge" wrote in ... Be careful about having certain kinds of pets around babies, who can't
get away if the pet starts playing too roughly. *A pet ferret managed to
get into a room with a four-month-old baby, and bit off seven fingers.

http://www.kmbc.com/r/26435615/detail.html

Ferrets are not pets in the true sense of the word - I used to keep them for
years. *My husband used to keep them, rather, for rabbiting which is what
they do and they were kept outside in hutches.

The ferrets sold as pets in the U.S. have had several generations of
non-hunting ancestors. One of the ladies in our building when Feather
and I lived in a mouse-filled apartment building had two ferrets and
they never killed any mice. She borrowed Feather and he killed four
mice that night. But he was the mousie God of Death of lower Chapel
Street. And the ferrets were so cowed by him anyway that they
apparently stayed huddled in one place for his whole visit.

I think you guys had a different strain of ferrets, related but with
quite different recent histories.

--
Will in New Haven

Old January 11th 11, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

wrote:

Be careful about having certain kinds of pets around babies, who can't
get away if the pet starts playing too roughly. A pet ferret managed to
get into a room with a four-month-old baby, and bit off seven fingers.

http://www.kmbc.com/r/26435615/detail.html

That is just HORRIBLE!

I always wondered why they are illegal in some places....the Communist
Rebublik of Kalifornia, on the Left Coast of the USA, comes to mind....

What a moronic comment. Yeah right, with Ah-nold, the well-known hard
core Communist, as governor. Please give me a break, Gandalf.

Joyce

--
Beauty and music seduce us first; later, ashamed of our own
sensuality, we insist on meaning. -- Clive Barker
Old January 11th 11, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Will in New Haven" wrote in message of
the word - I used to keep them for
years. My husband used to keep them, rather, for rabbiting which is what
they do and they were kept outside in hutches.

The ferrets sold as pets in the U.S. have had several generations of
non-hunting ancestors. One of the ladies in our building when Feather
and I lived in a mouse-filled apartment building had two ferrets and
they never killed any mice. She borrowed Feather and he killed four
mice that night. But he was the mousie God of Death of lower Chapel
Street. And the ferrets were so cowed by him anyway that they
apparently stayed huddled in one place for his whole visit.

I think you guys had a different strain of ferrets, related but with
quite different recent histories.

----
I think you guys have forgotten their history and that is why a ferret has
bitten off a baby's fingers.
I have experience with ferrets and IMO they are not suitable around small
children. No doubt the ferret will get put down now, if so I will be
annoyed.
Ferrets are not like dogs that *know* not to do this. Parent's fault
entirely.
Tweed

Old January 11th 11, 11:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief[_2_]

wrote:

Be careful about having certain kinds of pets around babies, who can't
get away if the pet starts playing too roughly. *A pet ferret managed to
get into a room with a four-month-old baby, and bit off seven fingers.

http://www.kmbc.com/r/26435615/detail.html

That is just HORRIBLE!

I always wondered why they are illegal in some places....the Communist
Rebublik of Kalifornia, on the Left Coast of the USA, comes to mind....

But, I've NEVER heard of a ferret managing to KILL some one.

That explains why breeds of dogs known for their aggressive
personalities ARE still legal there...

First off, the baby is still alive, the ferret did not kill it.

It is truly truly horrible, but ferrets should NEVER be alone with
small children, so this sounds like a case of parental neglect...

Second, ferrets are illegal in California, but many people still
smuggle them in...in terms of care they are like some breed of dogs,
they require SPECIFIC CARE AND SUPERVISION that is the sole
responsibility of the owners.

Third, Gandalf, i am usually quite tolerant of emotional and
opinionated comments from everyone on this group, but i DO take
offense at someone calling the state that i happen to live in to be a
Communist regime. This has nothing to do with communism, and is an
irrelevent comment and over the top statement and has nothing to do
with the neglectful parents of a pet...

It reminds me of how the Westboro Baptist church plans to protest the
funeral of the recently killed 9 year old girl simply based on the
grounds that she is Catholic. Also completely irrelevent and
immature.

And if you think that is an unfair comparison, it's no more unfair
than comparing a Communist regime with caring for a simple ferret.

Please take caution...

Kristi