"The Russian Blue" book, anyone?

Old December 5th 03, 01:00 PM
Donald L Ferrt

"Susan" wrote in message ...
I am a brand new subscriber and have a question - we have had cats for
years, but never 2 until last year when we adopted a year old female, part
Russian Blue, after having to put down our 18 year old cat. She was a
shelter cat and had free run of the shelter, so she was lonely and we got a
4 month old male a couple of months later. He was very dominant right off
the bat and ambushed her constantly. They got along and played alot, but I
know there were times when she was not at all happy with the constant
ambushing. We also have 2 Labrador Retrievers and I believe Morris thinks
he's a dog and gets along famously with them. Anyway, the female cat
disappeared about 2 months ago. Morris is about a year old now and he's
really lonely. We're going to adopt another, but I'm curious whether it's
better to have 2 cats of the same sex or doesn't it matter if they are
neutered to begin with. Any thoughts? Susan

PS = Pics of my outside cat enclosu

http://wolfbat359.com/Catty.html
Old December 5th 03, 01:29 PM
Luvskats00

Beautiful cat! Nice enclosure, too.
Old December 5th 03, 01:29 PM
Luvskats00

Beautiful cat! Nice enclosure, too.
Old December 6th 03, 11:26 PM
James Collins

You state that it is the expert opinion, in the US, to keep cats indoors....
I have to ask what special qualifications this "Expert" has to receive the
title of expert?
Everyone knows that cats are natural hunters, it's in their blood to stalk,
and kill.
When we decide that are cats are better off indoors, are we even attempting
to think about what they want?
If not, are we the pets owner, or Warden?
And is it a pets home or prison?
If your cat stares out the window for hours, watching for any movement,
hopefully a bird. Eventually he sees the birds coming, so he crouches
lower, as if to hide behind an imaginary bush. They get closer, he gets
lower. Closer, lower. Then your cant control his anxiety any further and
begins to start chattering......... If that sounds like your cat, you
have to ask yourself "what did he/she do to deserve being incarcerated for
life?"
"is he/she truely happy?"
"who am I to take away the livelyhood of such an innocent animal?"

That's my EXPERT opinion. What makes me an expert?
I have two cats and feel EXTREMELY GUILTY about keeping them indoors. I
know that more than anything, they want to be able to explore and experience
new things. They want to be able to actually stalk a bird, and then
actually catch it!!!!
I also know that they are truely bored with everything in the house. I do
play with them often, that's not the problem, it's just that nothing has new
smells, and the carpet always feels the same under their paws.

If I were to live anywhere but where I am now, my cats would be allowed
outdoors. The streets are too busy, and neighborhood kids have been seen
torturing cats. Once the kids were walking around with a dead kitten on a
leash, and laughing.
Yes, getting hit by a car is a possibility. But a risk they wouldn't think
twice about to regain their freedom.
But I strongly feel that they would make the decision to die tomorrow, if
that is what it would take to go outside today.

Have you ever been in Jail???
I was once, for a false charge.
Being locked up, for doing nothing wrong.

And that's what I do to my cats. What makes it right for me to do that to
them?

James

"Luvskats00" wrote in message
"Susan"
asks

.... we have had cats for
years, but never 2 until last year when we adopted a year old female,

part
Russian Blue....she was lonely and we got a
4 month old male a couple of months later. He was very dominant right

off
the bat and ambushed her constantly....We also have 2 Labrador

Retrievers...the female cat
disappeared about 2 months ago. Morris is about a year old now and he's
really lonely. We're going to adopt another, but I'm curious whether

it's
better to have 2 cats of the same sex or doesn't it matter if they are
neutered to begin with.

That's a lot to digest, Susan. First, you must be aware that for every

question
posted in this (or, probably, many newsgroups) you will get many

answers..some
contradicting others. You must weed through the posts to determine what

info
to accept and what to reject. Before you can do that, you must have some

basic
info on cat/dog behavior - healthcare. Since you currently have several

pets,
I hope you visit some dog/cat websites (and ask your vet questions along

the
way) so you know what you're doing!

Why did a cat disappear under your care? You didn't say the cat was lost

or
escaped from the house. From your post, it sounds extremely careless. If

you
are ovewhelmed with your current lot of pets, don't adopt another.

Currently,
there's a difference of opinion on whether it's acceptable or cruel to let

cat roam outside. I strongly support keeping a pet inside - in the US, the
expert opinion is that it's best to keep to keep cats inside.

If, after all of this, you feel responsible enough to add another pet,

I've
asked other pet owners, vets, newsgroups, websites. Following the advice,

adopted an opposite sex cat. The match is shakey. Resident male cat

attacks
new female cat. I hope you have good luck - with keeping your pets from
disappearing, at least.

Old December 7th 03, 12:24 PM
Bob Brenchley.

On 07 Dec 2003 01:48:36 GMT, (Luvskats00) wrote:

"James Collins"

writes

You state that it is the expert opinion, in the US, to keep cats indoors....
I have to ask what special qualifications this "Expert" has to receive the
title of expert?
Everyone knows that cats are natural hunters, it's in their blood to stalk,
and kill.

If you have any awareness of the outside world, you would know that you can't
assume that any individual or group possesses specific knowledge about anything
at all. What you think is common might not be so for the next guy/gal. As far
as "expert opinion"...it's a national position. The humane/animal protection
socities in America have positioned themselves to support that cats should be
indoors.

How can any group that advocates the systematic ill-treatment of cats
be classified as "humane"?

I invite you to go back to the past 1-2-3-4-5-6-and more months to
read/digest the large number of posts in the indoor/outdoor thread.

Make that years, and yet still the animal abusers keep turning up on
cat groups promoting the imprisonment of cats.

If you live in an area where, for whatever reason, you feel unable to
allow a healthy cat its freedom to roam for at least some time each
day (and only you can judge your area) then don't have a cat. To have
a healthy cat, knowing you will keep it in 24/7 marks you are being
cruel, selfish, or both.

--
Bob.

You have not been charged for this lesson. Please pass it to all your
friends so they may learn as well.