lets discuss shelters

Old March 6th 09, 01:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

Default lets discuss shelters

I know its hard economic times, even if the politicians tell me that the
stock market is just a poll, if you are unemployeed its 100 percent
unemployement... I have noticed a huge increase of postings for contributing
to different shelters across the US and i am sorry, call me cold or a witch
or whatever, but, if you have money to give, give it, if you have time, give
it, but honestly there is enough local strife that i am a bit off put by all
of these posts wanting me to send my money across the country... if you have
money and time and are sharing good, if not, then start giving, but please,
quit asking me to give out of my local area, i see the stress, I resent
those who have a lot wining about anything, let alone wanting me to donate
to a cause, which otherwise good, has no hope of helping any being, human or
animal near me, so i continue to see the suffering, of lost jobs, houses,
animals and cars that no one can afford to keep, please count your blessing
but leave me alone, if you need somewhere to contribute email me i have two
great no kill shelters in my local area, i know people who can't afford to
keep their car so aren't able to continue work, Lee..rant off

Old March 6th 09, 05:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

I was puzzled by your post since I hadn't noticed any increase or any
great number of posts requesting donations. Got me curious. I
figured maybe since I have everything from gmail.com blocked I was
missing more than usual.

I found the most recent posts of that type. I'm reminded of why I
block posts from gmail.

It was purportedly from someone who knows someone who is building a
shelter in 'Beverly Hills'. Yeah, right. I'm 99.9 percent sure its
fraudulent. The grammar and syntax in the post remind me of all the
notices I get in my email, wanting me to deal with all the money I
have been ignoring in Nigeria. (I mean the FBI and some official
sounding place in Great Britain really want me to take care of it)

So I'd say, for the most part, consider the source. Treat it like
junk mail and nuisance phone calls and move on.

To anyone nice who has no choice but to post from gmail, hopefully
I'll catch your posts in the replies.

Jo

Old March 6th 09, 07:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Mar 5, 6:59*pm, "Stormmee" wrote:
[...]

I don't understand, Lee ... I may be missing some posts. I have not
seen any posts soliciting
donations to shelters?
I completely understand the point you're making though; you don't have
to go far from your own
back yard to find animals *or* people in desperate need, especially
now.

Unfortunately, the unstable economy *is* trickling down to the
shelters. Donations are down; people are
less inclined to pledge money when they're concerned about their
ability to take care of their own
families and animals. But that's everywhere. We can help the animals
in our own shelters if we can, but, we
certainly can't send money everywhere.

Hang in there.

Sherry

Old March 6th 09, 08:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

you got it exactly, perhaps you are like Jo and have them blocked, but it
really has set me off, it sems that i am seeing otherwise good hard working
people not making it, and i just resent those who do have and others who
want me to give way far away when i see so much trouble right in front of
me, Lee

Old March 8th 09, 04:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_2_]

I know what you mean Lee. DH just started getting snail mail with enclosed
return address stickers from the Disabled Veterans Associans...he made a $2
donation, once, and now they keep sending him more labels, even a nice note
pad, and I am going to write them a letter, on the notepad, send them back
the nickle they sent him in one of their letters, and explain we can't
afford to donate 'anything' because we're on a very limited income, and are
disabled ourselves and any other labels, etc, will be promptly trashed. If I
won the Lotto, I could help so many people and animals out I don't mean to
be harsh, but I don't like to be made feel guilty, when we have already made
a contribution, small as it was. I do count my blessings, every single day,
having been homeless (years ago) and in being in severe pain myself.
Bless your heart, Lee
Purrs and Love
Kyla

Old March 8th 09, 04:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Problem is with mail and phone donations, most of the money, no matter what
they say, goes to the organization. Most goes to "process" meaning calling,
mailing etc.
A state trooper friend of ours told us never to give to the phone callers
for life vests and "to support members of families whose man has been killed
in the line of duty." If you want to do this, you can call your local area
and find out where to send a donation and, it will be used for what you
intended.

Old March 8th 09, 08:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl P.[_2_]

Granby wrote:
Problem is with mail and phone donations, most of the money, no matter what
they say, goes to the organization. Most goes to "process" meaning calling,
mailing etc.
A state trooper friend of ours told us never to give to the phone callers
for life vests and "to support members of families whose man has been killed
in the line of duty." If you want to do this, you can call your local area
and find out where to send a donation and, it will be used for what you
intended.

I never donate to anyone who phones me, and almost never to anyone who
writes me - in that case, I might make an exception if I know the group
is reputable. But a stranger calling or emailing me? Not a cent!

Even reputable charities sometimes go in for the 'free gifts' thing to
try to make you feel guilty and send more - I gave an in memory gift to
a charity which promptly started sending me stuff, so I wrote back and
told them to stop, which, to their credit, they did.

I don't have a lot of money to donate, and I tend to give it to a few,
usually local, carefully selected groups that I think do a good job and
spend very little on advertising or hired fund-raising organizations.

Cheryl
Old March 8th 09, 09:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"Cheryl P." wrote in message
Granby wrote:
[...]

I am with you Cheryl I hate also when they stand on the corners in traffic
and walk up to you and want money for some charity. Down here they have to
have a permit first thing I ask is do you have a permit 99% walk away I
call the cops. Now when I see the police or Fire fighters no problem than

I love the ASPCA and HSUS but I got so many mailing from them that I stop
donating to them They sent a block letter asking why. I told them all the
money you spend on the mailings could go to a worth cause. I only donate to
local shelters now