Mike the cat has unknown illness...

Old December 28th 06, 08:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue
[email protected]

Default Mike the cat has unknown illness...

We love our Mikey cat so much, but the vet can't figure out what is
wrong. He is such a good boy.

Mikey cat has been lethargic and anorexic; he vomits about every other
day.

His feces often times (not always) smell like feces and vomit, they
have a very heavy, dull, pungent smell (this is recent) - sometimes
they are formed and sometimes they aren't. His coat seems scruffier
than usual.

He doesn't want to eat or drink much, but will do both sometimes,
especially after having a Prednisone (which was a last resport to get
him to eat and drink).

He is losing weight and has been on 5mg of Prednisone for about 2
weeks. The vet has done lab work; the lab work comes back normal and
within range execpt for the ALT (liver enzyme maybe) was very slightly
elevated, but the Dr. said that wasn't diagnostic.

Our cat Mike is a 10 year old DSH and we love him so much. He is
mostly indoor but does go outside for short outings daily. He cries
inconsolably a lot and seems to not want to jump like he used to.

He will still purr at times, he sleeps more than usual for him. We
don't know what to do and are so worried; can anybody suggest anything?
We're thinking the next steps may be an MRI or Ultrasound but they are
so expensive and we have already spent a lot of money trying to get
diagnosed and the vet (who has been a good vet) doesn't seem to be able
to figure it out yet.

We love him so much; he is our best friend - if you have any
suggestion, please post here or email us - it would be greatly
appreciated.

Old January 1st 07, 12:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue
Wendy

"Gandalf" wrote in message
On 28 Dec 2006 11:39:02 -0800, wrote:

[...]

If you haven't already, try posting this in
rec.pets.cats.health+behavior

The flame wars keep me away, but there are some very knowledgable people
there, who may have run into something similar, or have suggestions.

It's worth a try, and you won't get flamed for not taking Mike to the
vet. (Amazing number of posts: My cat is sick and doing xyz. what is
wrong?) Those get flamed.

Vet bills can mount at a staggering pace with extended testing, so you
have my sympathy there. It would be nice if money weren't a concern, but
for most of us, it is, unfortunately.

Best wishes for a speedy resolution for poor Mike. He sounds pretty
sick, and unhappy, of course.

I wish I could be of more help.

I'd definitely take this over to rec.pets.cats.health+behavior. As was said
they do tend to have limited patience with those who haven't spent a dime on
the cat and post with dire symptoms but in this case the cat has seen the
vet and they are stumped. There are people over there who have cats with
thyroid issues so they might be able to point you in the right direction.