Abelard = 6.6 lbs.

Old July 26th 08, 02:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Default Abelard = 6.6 lbs.

On Jul 26, 5:21*am, "Adrian" wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:
"Yowie" wrote in message
"Gandalf" wrote in message

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 12:19:09 -0500, "Pat"
wrote:

I knew he had gained some because I had to loosen his harness. It
was a pleasant surprise discovering that he is back up to more than
6.5 lbs. When he's at least 8 lbs. I will quit worrying that he's
too thin. He'll need to have that much weight to have a chance of
being semi-comfortable this winter.

Wow, that seems so *light* to me, for an adult cat!

But every ounce gained is a big step in the right direction, of
course.

Just keep spoiling him, unmercifully.

I know what you mean about winter! It's hard for *me* to stay warm,
and I can add more clothing.

I spoil my Kenzie with a heated bed in the winter. While I'm at
work, and at night, it's only 55F (13C) in my house.

Is that considered cold for inside the house on a winter night?

It gets colder here at night (down to about 10C, 50F, sometimes a
little colder) and I've never bothered to leave the heating on after
I've gone to bed. One nice thick doona (duvet, comforter) and
flannelette pyjamas and I'm toasty warm. I figure the cats, having a
natural fur coat, can easily cope with those sorts of temperatures.

I get up in the morning and turn the A/C on for an hour or so before
the sun starts coming through the northern windows and warms up the
place - it keeps the place warm all day (and sometimes we have to
open up the windows, even on winter days, because of the sun). The
A/C comes back on at some point after the sun going down, and
usually stays on till we go to bed. But at the moment, with me
sitting in my flanny PJs and bedsocks (yes, such a sexy image), I am
perfectly comfortable without the A/C. Suki is curled up on the
printer (which will no doubt soon suffer the same cause of death as
the two previous ones - cat hair overload), Shadow is curled up on
'her' mat on the kitchen floor (woe betide another cat that thinks
of putting so much as a whisker near its perimeter) and Pickle is
once again shedding into the clean laundry pile. None of them are
seeking out the natural heat sources (me, the computers, the top of
the tv, top of the fish tank light, etc). I reckon its about 13C,
55F in here at the moment.

That would be "warm" for my house in the winter if I was out at work
or in bed (which means my woodburner would be too)
Am I the only person who has found my flannel (face towel) had fallen
into the bath and frozen to the plughole overnight? *Probably ;-)

Tweed

I have a glass of water by my bed at night, more than once I've gone to take
a sip and found it frozen.
Cats leave pawprints on your hearthttp://community.webshots.com/user/clowderuk- Hide quoted text -

Wow! You are of much more hardy stock than I. That is a compliment. I
know
it's a wasteful use of energy to keep the house so warm at night. But
just can't stand it. I'm a disgrace to my pioneer ancesters :-)
I've also heard it is healthier to sleep in a cooler house.

Sherry
Old July 26th 08, 02:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Wayne Mitchell

Default Heat Pump and A/C (was: Abelard = 6.6 lbs.)

"Yowie" wrote:

Students that come for work experience from places like Canada and Northern
America always complain they're very cold in winter - thats because our
houses don't usually come with built-in heating or insulation, and usually
cheap rental accomodation has no heat (besides the stove top) at all. In
cheap rental accomodation, if its 10C outside, it will probably be close to
10C on the inside, too.

I can relate to the students' situation. I was raised here in Maine --
well north in the US and considered by most folks a cold place to be in
winter. But the coldest I've ever been for any length of time was when
I was a student in Monterey, California -- an area that doesn't have any
real winter (and unfortunately also doesn't have any real summer). Not
having any winter to worry about, student accommodation was not heated
very well; and the typical daytime temperature for eleven months out of
the year is 55 degrees F (13C). So daytime indoor temperature generally
ranged from 50F in the morning to 60F in the afternoon -- and we here in
the cold north consider that downright frigid.
--

Wayne M.
Old July 26th 08, 03:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Wayne Mitchell" wrote in message
"Yowie" wrote:

[...]

Not to mention their famous 'marine layer' that makes sure you are
always damp as well as cold.

At least real cold like you get in Maine tends to dry the air out.

Jo

Old July 26th 08, 07:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Pat" wrote in message
I knew he had gained some because I had to loosen his harness. It was a
pleasant surprise discovering that he is back up to more than 6.5 lbs.
When
he's at least 8 lbs. I will quit worrying that he's too thin. He'll need
have that much weight to have a chance of being semi-comfortable this
winter.

That's really good news that he's gaining. What would a normal weight for a
male Aby be? I've not met many, but they seem quite light-framed, slender
cats, 8lbs would be quite chunky ;-)

Tweed

Old July 26th 08, 07:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote

| What would a normal weight for a male Aby be? I've not
| met many, but they seem quite light-framed, slender
| cats, 8lbs would be quite chunky ;-)

Normal is 9-10 lbs. Abelard has been up to at least 10 lbs. since I moved to
town. His adult weight on the farm was around 7-7.5 because he was always
out and about and often missed meals at home. He was too thin then. I was
very pleased when he went up to 9, then 10 in the last couple of years.

The 2nd time he went to the vet for the recent emergency, he weighed in @
8.8 lbs, but then I had trouble feeding him, off and on for several weeks
after that, and he became emaciated. Now he is on the way back up.

Old July 27th 08, 02:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
rb

Pat wrote:
I knew he had gained some because I had to loosen his harness. It was a
pleasant surprise discovering that he is back up to more than 6.5 lbs. When
he's at least 8 lbs. I will quit worrying that he's too thin. He'll need to
have that much weight to have a chance of being semi-comfortable this
winter.

Glad to hear that he is picking up weight! I am sure he will be back up
to normal in no time.

rrb
Old July 27th 08, 12:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Default Heat Pump and A/C

"tanadashoes" wrote in message
wrote in message
Yowie wrote:

I live at about he same latitude (except south) as Charleston, South
Carolina, and near the coast like Charleston. That should give you a
rough
idea of my climate.

Do you have high humidity, too? I think South Carolina is very humid.
I've never been there, but in general the southern east coast of the
US is very humid.

Charleston SC usually has 85%+ humidity, as does our area. They
average 5-10 F hotter than us as well. We have a heat pump, we do
use it every winter and it usually works well enough, but we also
have a fireplace with an insert that works when it gets really cold
as the furnace doesn't warm enough for us to get away with regular
shirt sleeves and I hate asking family and friends to wear sweaters
ala Jimmy Carter.

Yup, we're on the coast and generally humid (around 80%). Thats the big
difference between Sydney & Melbourne - Sydney is by & large quite humid,
whereas Melbourne isn't.

I am very sensitive to dry air, I get really flakey, itchy skin (especially
my scalp & face). I don't like using the reverse cycle a/c to heat because
its always very dry air, but it is by far the cheapest option so put up with
it.

Yowie

Abelard again (pic) Pat Cat anecdotes 7 December 5th 06 08:41 AM
Abelard is gone again Pat Cat anecdotes 29 September 13th 05 05:52 PM
Oh, Abelard....!!! Pat Cat anecdotes 26 July 6th 05 04:09 AM
Abelard going to TED Pat Cat anecdotes 28 May 4th 05 12:40 AM
Abelard Says Yes Pat Cat anecdotes 4 April 28th 05 07:25 PM