O'Malley-Hercules & Xena....setback:(

Old July 16th 03, 08:12 AM

Default O'Malley-Hercules & Xena....setback:(

Andromeda wrote:

Dr Raoul says that I should pick up Xena
and let Hercules out; they will fight but I
should let them sort it all out themselves.

Your vet may be good with medical stuff, but he is clearly not
knowledgeable about cat behavior. I wouldn't do this, especially the way
Xena is acting right now. You're just asking for trouble if you rush
things and your vet's idea that you should hold Xena while Herc comes
out is the quickest way for *you* to be injured. With Xena being an only
cat for so long and especially considering her reaction to his scent,
you should go VERY slowly and take several weeks to do the introduction.
Allowing them to fight is traumatic for both cats and is the quickest
way to destroy any chances of a good relationship developing. In the
meantime, is there a larger room you can put him in? Also, whatever room
you keep him in, it would be a good idea to put a screen door up so the
cats can see each other but not have physical contact. I helped Mary L
do an introduction over a span of six weeks, and her situation was
identical to yours. She has put together a detailed desription of how
things progressed and the steps she took. I'll ask her to email it to
you. There is also a photo diary of the introduction in my photo album.
Just click on the link and then look for the album titled Duffy, the
introduction. If you have questions along the way feel free to email me
as well. The most important thing you need to remember is *don't rush
things.* Yes, it can be frustrating at times, but better to be patient
and spend several weeks (or more) and have success than jump the gun and
have two stressed, miserable cats for the rest of their lives.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing