another dental work question

Old August 11th 04, 06:00 PM
Mary

Default another dental work question

I made an appt. for Tigger to get her teeth cleaned. I was given a range of
$260 - $325. Is that about normal? I think that may include the antibiotics
that I have to start her on 2 days prior.

Sounds like it includes a blood panel $30-80, anesthesia $80, antibiotics $15
and cleaning which is usually $45-75. Seems a tiny bit high but within the ball
park if they do all of these things.
Old August 11th 04, 06:11 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"Wendy" wrote in message
I made an appt. for Tigger to get her teeth cleaned. I was given a range

of
$260 - $325. Is that about normal? I think that may include the

antibiotics
that I have to start her on 2 days prior.

Sounds very high to me. I don't remember the cost of the last cleaning my
cats had, but my *guess* would be a charge of around $150 - now. Otoh, vet
costs seem to vary *widely* for all sorts of procedures, depending upon
location, & individual vets' practices.

Cathy

Old August 12th 04, 02:20 PM
Phil P.

"Wendy" wrote in message
I made an appt. for Tigger to get her teeth cleaned. I was given a range

of
$260 - $325. Is that about normal? I think that may include the

antibiotics
that I have to start her on 2 days prior.

That's about right assuming the fee includes pre-anesthesia bloodwork and an
inhalant anesthetic agent (isoflurane) after an induction agent and
intubation.

Iso adds about $75-$100 to the bill. The canisters are not resealable so
you're charged for the whole canister regardless of the amount actually
used.

Iso is well worth the added expense; its the safest anesthetic agent
available and its effects are easily and quickly reversable in the event of
an unforeen complication. Recovery is also much quicker and pleasant
without the usual recovery stupor.

Phil

Old August 12th 04, 02:48 PM
Wendy

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Wendy" wrote in message
[...]

It doesn't include the blood work. I just paid for that the other night. The
receptionist did say that it (the estimate) might be higher than the actual
cost depending on what they find. If it's just a cleaning it will be less if
she has bad teeth that have to come out the estimate should cover the cost
of doing that. Guess I wait and see what they find. They'll earn every penny
with this cat. She always gives them a hard time the minute I'm not with
her. I had to go in the back to get her out of the cage when I picked her up
from being spayed when she was a kitten.

Old August 13th 04, 01:33 AM
Paulette

I just had my Lucy's teeth cleaned, plus 2 extractions (she had
absorbable stitches); isoflurane anesthesia; penicillin shot; pain shot;
Amoxicillin drops for 10 days.
Total cost $109. But I live in a rural area, and the hospital is
small by big city standards. 4 vets, who do keep up by attending
conferences at Michigan State.
Very modern hospital. So far, I've been pleased with everyone. Lucy
swallowed fishing line 2 years ago, was given huge dose of Laxatone,
sent home, and 2 days later..voila! UTI treated with ? I don't
remember; been fine ever since (almost 2 years)....sorry, now I'm OT

Paulette