Flea & Tick Control?

Old December 8th 03, 06:02 PM

Default Flea & Tick Control?

Hi,

I have 2 adolescent cats (about 22 weeks old) and they're going
outside now. I wanted to get some kind of flea & tick control for
them. My Vet recommended Frontline and said that the over the counter
stuff could cause neurological damage.

In reading about Frontline, I found some dogs that had adverse
reactions, including one that apparently died when the product was
used in conjunction with other flea & tick control products.

So the question is this: how safe is Frontline? Is the claim about
other medications being less safe accurate?

What have your experiences with flea & tick control been? Favorite
products? Tips? Things I should keep in mind?

Thanks!
Old December 8th 03, 07:22 PM
kaeli

In article , xmp333
@yahoo.com enlightened us with...
Hi,

I have 2 adolescent cats (about 22 weeks old) and they're going
outside now. I wanted to get some kind of flea & tick control for
them. My Vet recommended Frontline and said that the over the counter
stuff could cause neurological damage.

It's a poison. All flea and tick meds are to some degree. You risk it
because it's worse for the cat to have fleas and ticks than to take the
meds.
I have heard some horrible things about Hartz - stay away from that
stuff. I use Advantix on my dog, but never, ever use that on a cat. Very
bad for them. Can kill them.
My cats stay inside or with me on leash, so I don't give them flea and
tick treatments. I live in an urban area, so I've not had a problem with
this. The dog gets it because she goes to the forest preserves and such.

Are you SURE you live where it is safe to let your cats out (maybe they
are just in an enclosure or your yard)? Do you have them microchipped in
case they get lost? Collars and tags can come off - chips are there
forever. Don't forget that sometimes, the greatest danger to an outide
cat is a human!

~kaeli~
Is it possible to be totally partial?
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old December 8th 03, 10:01 PM
medicscout

wrote in message
om...
Is the claim about
other medications being less safe accurate?

What have your experiences with flea & tick control been? Favorite
products? Tips? Things I should keep in mind?

I have used Frontline on my dog before and it worked fine, but that was on a
dog. A few years ago I was found a stray cat and brought him home. He had
flees and I used Advantix on my cats. At the time I had five. Within
thirty minutes, one of them was convulsing on floor, one was rolling around
drooling, one had a twitch in his eye, and two of them were fine. I took
the three that were affected to the vet, they did not think one of them was
going to make it. The Vet told me that he had seen Advantix have this
reaction on cats before. In the end it all worked out fine and they are all
ok today.

There are other ways to take care of the flees with out killing the cats.

Old December 8th 03, 10:24 PM
Wendy

I've used Advantage and Program with no negative side effects on a few
different animals. The Advantage kills the fleas the program stops the fleas
from reproducing.

om...

Old December 8th 03, 11:30 PM
PawsForThought

So the question is this: how safe is Frontline? Is the claim about
other medications being less safe accurate?

Here's a bit of information:

ADVANTAGE:
---Imidacloprid is quickly and almost completely absorbed from the
gastrointestinal tract, and eliminated via urine and feces (70-80% and 20-30%,
respectively, of the 96% of the parent compound administered within 48 hours).
The most important metabolic steps include the degradation to 6-chloronicotinic
acid, a compound that acts on the nervous system as described above. This
compound may be conjugated with glycine and eliminated, or reduced to
guanidine.
(Kidd, 1991) ---

U of Guelph:
---chlorinated derivatives of nicotine (imidacloprid, fipronil) While the
effects of cholinesterase inhibiting products are intended for insect pests,
these chemicals can also be poisonous, or toxic, to humans in some situations.
---

----Adverse Effects of Ingredients Found in Spot-On Products

Imidacloprid - Active

Carcinogen - Yet to be determined; evidence of thyroid lesions in dogs

Organ damage - Liver, kidney, thyroid, heart, lungs, spleen, adrenal, brain,
gonads; liver toxicity, increased organ weights, thyroid lesions, increased
cholesterol levels in dogs

Neurotoxin - Incoordination and labored breathing, muscle weakness including
muscles
necessary for breathing

Teratogen - Increased miscarriages and smaller offspring

How does Advantage work?

The active ingredient in Advantage is imidacloprid, a new compound which has
never been used in animal health. Unlike organophosphates and carbamates which
inhibit cholinesterase and pyrethrins that block open ion channels along nerve
fibers, imidacloprid binds to nicotinyl receptor sites on the postsynaptic
neuron which prevents the binding of acetylcholine. This action interupts nerve
transmission and results in paralysis and death of the flea.

This mechanism of action is entirely new to animal health and the possibility
of
cross resistance with other flea control chemistry is unlikely. Advantage kills
fleas on contact which differentiates it from insect growth regulators and
insect development inhibitors which have no effect on the viability of adult
fleas.

How is Advantage distributed on the animal?

Advantage is distributed to all parts of the body where fleas are found.
Advantage spreads on the surface of skin at the hair root level aided by body
movement providing complete coverage.

Advantage is not absorbed into the blood stream or internal organs.

How is Advantage applied?

Advantage is easy to apply. The seal of the Advantage applicator is broken and
the low volume dose is placed directly against the skin between the shoulder
blades of dogs and at the base of the skull on cats. Dogs that weigh more than
55 lbs receive the contents of two Advantage 55 tubes. One is placed between
the
shoulder blades and a second is applied on the top of the rump.
http://www.vspn.org/VSPNSearch/VINLibrary/lv960042.htm

Imidacloprid
Imidacloprid (Advantage) was originally used for crop pest control, and is
approved for use in dogs and cats. It works on contact by preventing
transmission of neuro-impulses, resulting in death of the adult flea.
Imidacloprid is not effective against ticks.

Imidacloprid is applied monthly as a pour-on. Within 24 hours after
application,
it is evenly distributed over the body, with no systemic absorption. It has no
repellent activity, and is not inactivated by sunlight. It is partially removed
by swimming and bathing. Imidacloprid has low toxicity in mammals, and is safe
in the environment.
http://www.cm-d.com/buckeye/tech_manual/8_47.html

: J Toxicol Clin Toxicol. 2001;39(6):617-21. Related Articles, Links

Acute poisoning with the neonicotinoid insecticide imidacloprid in N-methyl
pyrrolidone.

Wu IW, Lin JL, Cheng ET.

Chang Gun Memorial Hospital, Lin-Kuo Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic
of
China.

BACKGROUND: Imidacloprid
[1-(6-chloro-3-pyridylmethyl)-N-nitroimidazolidin-2-ylideneamine, CAS
138261-41-3] belongs to a relatively new class of insecticidal chemistry, the
chloronicotinyl neonicotinoid compounds. Animal studies indicate relatively low
toxicity to mammals because they have resistant nicotinic receptor subtypes
compared to insects, as well as protection of the central nervous system by the
blood brain barrier. Despite wide usage, human exposure experience resulting in
toxicity is quite limited. CASE REPORT: Here, we report a case of acute
ingestion of an insecticide formulation containing 9.7% imidacloprid, 2 %
surfactant, and the balance as solvent, N-methyl pyrrolidone. Clinical
manifestation included drowsiness, disorientation, dizziness, oral and
gastroesophageal erosions, hemorrhagic gastritis, productive cough, fever,
leukocytosis, and hyperglycemia. The patient recovered without complication
with
supportive treatment and was discharged 4 days after ingestion. Follow-up
barium
upper gastrointestinal examination 1 month later was normal. Because moderate
high dose imidacloprid in animals causes central nervous system activation
similar to nicotine, including tremors, impaired pupillary function, and
hypothermia, it is unclear whether imidacloprid had a causal role in the
patient's initial drowsiness and dizziness. It is more likely that the
formulation ingredients, particularly N-methyl pyrrolidone, caused most of the
clinical symptoms including minor central nervous system depression,
gastrointestinal irritation, and hyperglycemia.

PMID: 11762670 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
1: Mol Cell Biochem. 1997 Apr;169(1-2):177-84. Related Articles, Links

Determination of genotoxicity of the metabolites of the pesticides Guthion,
Sencor, Lorox, Reglone, Daconil and Admire by 32P-postlabeling.

Shah RG, Lagueux J, Kapur S, Levallois P, Ayotte P, Tremblay M, Zee J, Poirier
GG.

Unit of Health and Environment, CHUL Research Center, Ste-Foy, Quebec, Canada.

Commercial formulations of the pesticides: Guthion (azinphos methyl), Sencor
(metribuzin), Lorox (linuron), Reglone (diquat), Daconil (chlorothalonil) and
Admire (imidacloprid) were studied for their genotoxicity by 32P-postlabeling.
Metabolites of the pesticides were obtained enzymatically using arochlor
induced
rat liver S9 fraction, in an NADPH generating system. The resulting metabolites
were reacted with calf thymus DNA and the DNA was analyzed for presence of
adducts by either the nuclease P1 or butanol enrichment. Nuclease P1 enrichment
resulted in adducts for all the pesticides. Compared to the level of adducts in
control DNA, the levels in pesticide-treated DNA were higher for all the
pesticides, except Daconil. The increase in adduct numbers for
pesticide-treated
DNAs ranged from 4.9-12.4 times the control-DNA indicating pesticide
genotoxicity in this in vitro system. Enrichment using butanol extraction gave
three adducts unique to Sencor-DNA. These adducts were different from those
obtained with nuclease P1 enrichment of the same. B(alpha)P was the positive
control for the in vitro metabolism, and two adduct enrichment procedures:
nuclease P1 digestion and butanol extraction.

PMID: 9089646 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

FRONTLINE:

---Adverse Reactions, Australia http://www.apvma.gov.au/qa/aer96.shtml
lips the same day as treatment with the product (Vet. nurse developed lip
blisters the next day; veterinarian and nurse both had asthma attacks)
Registrant reports that some asthmatic cats have developed signs after being
sprayed, particularly in confined spaces. Some animals have developed a
localised type 1 hypersensitivity after spraying with product, with evidence of
hyperaemia, pruritis and pin point blisters like sunburn ---

Fipronil - Active

Carcinogen - Thyroid cancer (possible human carcinogen)

Organ damage - Increased organ weights, altered thyroid hormones

Neurotoxin (nervous system damage) - Loss of appetite, underactivity,
convulsions, whining, barking, crying (vocalization), body twitches/tremors,
overactivity, salivation, stiffened limbs, unsteady gait, incoordination,
labored breathing

Teratogen (reproductive damage) - Reduced fertility, decreased litter size and
body weights in litters, fetus mortality

Skin problems - Severe moist inflammation, ulcerations, skin sloughing,
chemical
burn, itching,

LUFENURON (Program)

[PDF] Adverse reactions to veterinary drugs reported in Sweden during ...
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat
.... In another report, vomiting was observed after treatment with lufenuron.
strengthened
if several reports are obtained describing the same adverse reaction. ...
www.blackwell-synergy.com/links/doi/10.1046/ j.1365-2885.1997.00050.x/abs/

[PDF] REPORT OF ADVERSE EXPERIENCES 1997 AND 1998
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
.... the clinical signs, so the reaction was classified ... cats and subsequent
suspected adverse
reactions during ... containing the active constituent lufenuron used in a ...
www.apvma.gov.au/qa/aer9798.pdf -

http://www.fluoridealert.org/pestici...nuron-page.htm

Lufenuron7. Canadian Ministry report on rejection due to residues in poultry
breast meat. - Ontario Agriculture, Food, and Rural Affairs (Canada)

Current Uses in Pets: FDA registered because it was given orally and absorbed
systemically.

Warning from Pet Consumer Report.

Australia: "Current List. RECORD OF APPROVED ACTIVE CONSTITUENTS FOR CHEMICAL
PRODUCTS." December 10, 2001. Also at: http://www.nra.gov.au/tgac/tgac.pdf

Glossary of Pesticide Chemicals, October 2001. A listing of pesticides subject
to analysis of residues in foods and feeds by the US Food and Drug
Administration. Also available at:
http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~acrobat/pestglos.pdf

---Lufenuron: Warning from Pet Consumer Report.

------

http://www.petconsumerreport.com/sentinel.htm

Warning about Sentinel and other Flea and Heartworm Products

Is Sentinel the Answer to Heartworm and Fleas?
Sentinel is a monthly tablet that guards against heartworm, fleas, roundworm,
hookworm and whipworm. Wow! Now that's a mouth full! Seems like an easy answer
to all your prayers, right? Are you wondering how one little pill can do all
this? Well the answer is simple and straight forward; it poisens heartworm,
fleas, roundworm, hookworm and whipworm. Actually, it's enough poison to kill
an
army of insects and parasites. But it is FDA approved and the FDA says it is
harmless to dogs. So, is it "safe" to trust the FDA when it comes to your pet?
Well, keep in mind this is the same organization that approved PPA in all of
our
cold medications that is getting so much media attention and the basis of
hundreds of lawsuits. Don't put the health of your dog or cat in the
government's hands -- we wouldn't. As always, we encourage you to get the facts
and decide for yourself.

One of the chemicals Sentinel contains, lufenuron, is used for the flea
prevention. Unfortunately, it doesn't prevent fleas from jumping on your pet.
Lufenuron has no effect at all on the adult flea, as a matter of fact, its only
target is the female flea who lays eggs. When a female flea jumps on and bites
treated pet it ingests lufenuron. When the female lays eggs, the lufenuron is
deposited in her eggs. Now here is the clincher. Sentinel states that lufenuron
prevents "most" eggs from hatching or maturing into adults. Most? What about
the
fleas that do not fit into this "most" category? And what about all the male
fleas? Well logically, they remain on the animal. You know what it recommends
on
the package? "Use of other conventional insecticides should be employed for
adult flea prevention." If you do that, why even use Sentinel? We consider this
pill an internal insecticide.

Side Effects of Sentinel
Want more? Let's take a look at some of the side effects of Sentinel. It has
been reported to cause lack of appetite and anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea,
convulsions, lethargy, difficulty breathing, and skin irritations. Hmm, a long
list of side effects just like a long list of what Sentinel prevents. When
these
products first came out, the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) became
flooded with reports of adverse side effects. Apparently the pesticides and
repellents being used to protect dogs and cats from fleas, ticks and parasites
were harming the health of the animals and the humans administering them.
That's
right, humans! In an 18-month period the EPA received 853 reports of adverse
side effects caused from these so-called "safe, easy to use monthly tablets".
There were 148 animal deaths, and 58 reports of human sickness. Doesn't sound
too safe to us! Think about this -- those are just the people who made the
association between their personal or pet's illness with Sentinel. Most people
would not even think of this potentially making them sick because it is
marketed
as totally safe.

Animal Right Issues
We have a real issue here too. At the time this article was written, Novartis
Animal Health, the makers of Sentinel, use laboratory animals to test their
products. They purposely overdose innocent dogs and cats to see what will
happen. They give high doses to pregnant dogs to see if there are any birth
defects passed to the puppies. They administer "exaggerated doses" to puppies
see if they develop any side effects. All this from a company who puts the
words
"animal health" after their name. Why would a company so concerned about animal
health put animal's health in jeopardy?

We will never have a good answer for that one.

More Heartworm and Parasite Remedies Solutions Discussed In-Depth @ AOL's
Member Community- get 1000 hours free to try!

Petagonia.com holistic pet health portal

Petagonia.com holistic animal welfare portal----

Some reported Adverse Reactions to Injectable Lufenuron

Pain on injection, tenderness, twitching or fractious during injection
Lump or granuloma
Vomiting
Listlessness/Lethargy
Diarrhea
Anorexia

Ferret FAQ - Part 4 of 5
.... Like any other animals, ferrets occasionally have adverse reactions to ...
Program is
used at the cat dosage per pound ... in the blood and prevents fleas which have
www.ferretcentral.org/faq/part4.html

Organophosphate Poisoning
.... their experience as a 'Suspected Adverse Reaction' (SAR) to ... alternative
to the flea
problem, 'Program' (lenfuron) taken ... It did not kill fleas but stopped them
www.positivehealth.com/permit/Articles/ Environment/organo.htm

Lauren
________

Old December 8th 03, 11:33 PM
PawsForThought

From: "medicscout"

I have used Frontline on my dog before and it worked fine, but that was on a
dog. A few years ago I was found a stray cat and brought him home. He had
flees and I used Advantix on my cats. At the time I had five. Within
thirty minutes, one of them was convulsing on floor, one was rolling around
drooling, one had a twitch in his eye, and two of them were fine. I took
the three that were affected to the vet, they did not think one of them was
going to make it. The Vet told me that he had seen Advantix have this
reaction on cats before. In the end it all worked out fine and they are all
ok today.

There are other ways to take care of the flees with out killing the cats.

Here's some information on Revolution as reported to the FDA:

from Veterinary Adverse Reaction Reports June 2003
www.fda.gov

Revolution/SELAMECTIN, Topical Application

Treated -3472

Reacted -3043

Died - 208
Reactions: