Help: How to Lure a Cat Into a Pet Carrier

Old May 24th 04, 07:04 PM
James Marz

"Barb" wrote in message ...
"Hilary JRP" wrote in message
om...
I've set up one of those big collapsible cat carriers in my bedroom
for the past month, with one of Mrs. Sweet Cheek's pillows, her
brushes, and some cat nip.

The cat nip was the only thing that got her to go completely in to the
cage, but interestingly, the attraction wore off in a matter of days.
She completely ignores the cat nip now, when I try to use it as a
lure.

I don't want to put tuna fish in my bedroom (I have the cage set up in
my room because she spends most of her time there); the smell would be
too unpleasant.

She hasn't been to a vet in years because she runs and scratches
pretty badly if you try to hold her for more than a few seconds. Is
the only way of luring her to throw a towel over her? Now how relaxed
will THAT be, when she has a four or five hour trip to her new home
ahead of her?

This problem is totally driving me crazy, so any help here or by email
would be greatly appreciated.

Place the carrier close to where you feed them. Keep the door open and put
the food right at the entrance. After a couple of days, put the food just
inside the entrance. Continue to gradually put the food further and further
back in the carrier. I leave my carrier by the food station and they'll
actually hang out in it with no fear whatsoever. Shut the door on the day
you need to take them to the vet.

Or, just be brave and stand the carrier on it's end vertically, grab the cat
by the scruff and stuff in butt first. That's the best method with a
fractious cat. It's the folks responsibility on the other end to remove the
cat and reinsert. We use a nice fishing net at our clinic.

Reinsertion has never been a problem for me. My cats willingly reinsert
themselves because they know they are going home.

Smack the cat in the head with hammer, toss it in the carrier, it
shouldn't bleed very much, and will sleep for the whole trip.
Old May 24th 04, 07:06 PM
James Marz

Cheryl wrote in message ...
"Barb" dumped this in
on 23 May 2004:

Gee, if they have to go to the vet or if we are relocating I just put
each cat into the carriers. It's not like I say, "Okay, girls,
please go in." They don't like to go in unless they know we are going
to return home. I've gotten a couple of scratches but if it were
really bad I would put on gardening gloves. I am the boss and
sometimes going into those carriers is for their own little good.

Sooner or later you are going to have to get your cat into a carrier
and although this may be later I say-Go for it!

Yup. I have to get Bonnie to the vet next Saturday for her yearly and not
looking forward to it. But I planned for a Sat appt because our routine is
for her to be in my bedroom on Sat mornings with the door shut (she's used
to that) only this time there will be a carrier in there. I know I can pick
her up when we're on the bed, she might scratch me going into the carrier,
but there is no choice for her.

I prefer using a #3 Wood from my golf bag to put my cat into the
carrier from across the room. FORE!!!

Old May 25th 04, 01:37 AM
Hilary JRP

Hey, thanks, Everybody! At least now I know I'm not the only one who
looks forward to transporting felines such as Madame Douce Joux
(that's French for Mrs. Sweet Cheeks) as much as I look forward to
having my remaining teeth pulled.

If not for my repost and your kind replies, I might not have realized
that the "top-loader" is exactly what I bought! I just never bothered
to read why this collapsible thing was so great (but it definitely was
expensive enough).

Please everyone keep your fingers crossed that my baby isn't too
traumatized.
Speaking of traveling with a cat--and I might start a new thread if no
one notices this--my sister also had a similar experience with my cat
when she finally trapped her (Mrs. SC was feral). She says that as
long as MSC was in the hav-a-hart, she was completely nuts, but that
when she let her out--although her upholstery almost got ripped to
shreds--MSC settled down and road the rest of the way curled up and
completely, even suspiciously, quiet on the floor.

Thanks again, everybody, I really mean it. Hope your babies are well
tonight.

Old May 25th 04, 02:47 AM
Cheryl

"KellyH" dumped this in news:8spsc.307$eT4.277
@attbi_s54 on 24 May 2004:

I recently adopted a semi-feral foster of mine, and I have no idea how I
will ever get him to the vet. I've joked that I will need to borrow a
Hav-a-heart trap.

Joking aside, that is how Bonnie went to the vet every time for her spay,
initial shots, boosters, and then a possible UTI appt even after she wasn't
in a cage anymore. The trap was just the only way to get her to the vet. I
felt bad, but she didn't hold it against me. Her last vet apt. I cornered
her and got a walking jacket on her, and was able to get her in a carrier,
the WJ was for when she was being examined so they wouldn't feel the need
to sedate her. She did very well. She goes back this Saturday for her
annual apt, shots, checkup. I think it'll be easier but it will probably
still be a challenge.

--
Cheryl

Old May 26th 04, 07:44 AM
Sally

Calculon wrote in message . ..
On 23 May 2004 15:21:43 -0700, (Hilary JRP) wrote:

[...]

Scaling Mt. Everest with a blindfold would have been easier than
getting Ambra into her carrier. That is before I bought a super
deluxe carrier that not only opens on the front but also from the top.
Now getting her infrom the top is much easier. Before I used to stand
the carrier on it side and attempt to lower her in.

Cheers!

thankgod i am not the only one to have problems getting the cat into
our cat carrier. we start getting her in about 20 minutes before the
vet. i wear oven mits (to avoid scratches)and my husband wears his old
leather jacket as she climbs all over him to run off! we close all
doors so she cant escape. and thats not the hard bit,

she then meows all the way to the vets and urinates on the way up, so
we always arrive at the vet's more stressed then her!

Old May 26th 04, 08:07 AM
Cat Protector

I know my cat Isis hates to go inside the carrier. Mostly I have to push her
into it gently. I always reassure her that we are coming back home. Jade
seems a little more accepting of the carrier so it is not always a trial
with her.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com