A meow is a meow is a meow...

Old August 20th 09, 10:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobcat[_2_]

Default A meow is a meow is a meow...

Cats are supposed to say "meow", but none of our indoor kitties do.
Martha our darling tortie says "meep" (softly). Emily our grey brat
says "yeaow" (loudly), and Sophie our chubby black sweetie says
"waa" (frequently). Only Mooch our resident stray says "meow" (two
times, quietly) when I appear on the veranda to feed him. It's as if
he's thanking me for the grub. How about YOUR furry ruler(s)? What
kind of meow do you get?
Old August 20th 09, 10:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_2_]

"Bobcat" wrote in message
Cats are supposed to say "meow", but none of our indoor kitties do.
Martha our darling tortie says "meep" (softly). Emily our grey brat
says "yeaow" (loudly), and Sophie our chubby black sweetie says
"waa" (frequently). Only Mooch our resident stray says "meow" (two
times, quietly) when I appear on the veranda to feed him. It's as if
he's thanking me for the grub. How about YOUR furry ruler(s)? What
kind of meow do you get?

Dante says: "NYOW-WOW???"

--
Theresa and Dante

Stinky Forever: http://pets.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Old August 20th 09, 10:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatEyes

"Bobcat" wrote in message
Cats are supposed to say "meow", but none of our indoor kitties do.
Martha our darling tortie says "meep" (softly). Emily our grey brat
says "yeaow" (loudly), and Sophie our chubby black sweetie says
"waa" (frequently). Only Mooch our resident stray says "meow" (two
times, quietly) when I appear on the veranda to feed him. It's as if
he's thanking me for the grub. How about YOUR furry ruler(s)? What
kind of meow do you get?

Demi says "squeak".

Jessie say "MAAAOOOOOAAAOOOWWWWWW" in a MOST obnoxious way!

Sammy says " " most of the time - one of those silent meows, but when
she's worried about me she'll actually say "meow".

Da Boyz(tm) say "mee".

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old August 20th 09, 10:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Bobcat wrote:

Cats are supposed to say "meow", but none of our indoor kitties do.
Martha our darling tortie says "meep" (softly). Emily our grey brat
says "yeaow" (loudly), and Sophie our chubby black sweetie says
"waa" (frequently). Only Mooch our resident stray says "meow" (two
times, quietly) when I appear on the veranda to feed him. It's as if
he's thanking me for the grub. How about YOUR furry ruler(s)? What
kind of meow do you get?

Smudge: Used to go: "Mow-mow?", inverting the last syllable like she
was asking a question. Now her meow sounds more like a rusty hinge.
It's that old-lady croak.

Roxy: Opens mouth, no sound comes out. Or, if she's excited (such as
during feeding time), it'll sound like a high-pitched "Eep eep eep eep
eep!" Or something like, "Ah ah ooo! Ah ah ooo!" Like a rooster crowing.

Licky: Long, drawn out and extremely plaintive sounding "Meeeeeeeowwww."
He sounds like the saddest, loneliest most neglected kitty in the world,
even though I'm right there and will almost always pet him when he asks
me to.

Joyce

--
audiophile, n:
Someone who listens to the equipment instead of the music.
Old August 20th 09, 11:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Baird Stafford

In article
,
Bobcat wrote:

Cats are supposed to say "meow", but none of our indoor kitties do.
Martha our darling tortie says "meep" (softly). Emily our grey brat
says "yeaow" (loudly), and Sophie our chubby black sweetie says
"waa" (frequently). Only Mooch our resident stray says "meow" (two
times, quietly) when I appear on the veranda to feed him. It's as if
he's thanking me for the grub. How about YOUR furry ruler(s)? What
kind of meow do you get?

That depends entirely on Leila's mood and what she's talking about. Her
vocabulary includes "myaaah," "mraah," "NAOW!" (which means exactly what
it sounds like!) and dozens of other variations. There is also her war
whoop, which I've heard only once (neighbor cat at open window) and
which is utterly untransliterable.

Her varied vocabulary and willingness to have extended conversations
with me are two of the things that persuade me she has some Siamese not
too far back in her ancestry - one of her parents, at a guess. Since
she was a rescue cat, I've no way to know for certain.

Baird

--
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice
there is. -Yogi Berra
Old August 21st 09, 12:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Bobcat" wrote in message
Cats are supposed to say "meow", but none of our indoor kitties do.
Martha our darling tortie says "meep" (softly). Emily our grey brat
says "yeaow" (loudly), and Sophie our chubby black sweetie says
"waa" (frequently). Only Mooch our resident stray says "meow" (two
times, quietly) when I appear on the veranda to feed him. It's as if
he's thanking me for the grub. How about YOUR furry ruler(s)? What
kind of meow do you get?

Tanada: OW! NOW! YOW! and YUM! (while she eats)
QC: Mews of various degrees and tones
Merlin: OW
Pine Cone: Large vocabulary so this may take a while: Yow, neer, brat,
mew, no, now, man, im, mom, you, wha, oh. There is more, but I'm a citizen
of short attention span theater and don't remember them all
Huey: sounds like a cupie doll, really. eew, eewk, squeaks
Sonya: ow, now, erp (usually while nudging me with her head for pettins)
Miss Calico Girl: trills when surprised, now, ease, and meep.

Pam S, who's sure there is more, but is blonde.

Old August 21st 09, 01:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmmee

all of mine purr.

Barbi, no meows, soft purr, if she feels the need to vocalize she screams
like a hurt five year old.
Stormmee, plaintive winey meow, and a grumble that is her displeasure noise
Chester rarely meouuuwws but when he does its very long.
MH, for the manly big boy he is he has a very girlie meow.
Tiger meows purrs and grunts all at the same time usually while eating, he
seems to be channelling jackie mason.
TV only does that meow howl when he is lonely
OEJ meows in a rather granny klampit voice...

and trudi, her purr is so loud you can hear it across the room... she weighs
seven pounds... and she rather quacks on the order of a duck or black crow.

Old August 21st 09, 01:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Bobcat" wrote in message
Cats are supposed to say "meow", but none of our indoor kitties do.
Martha our darling tortie says "meep" (softly). Emily our grey brat
says "yeaow" (loudly), and Sophie our chubby black sweetie says
"waa" (frequently). Only Mooch our resident stray says "meow" (two
times, quietly) when I appear on the veranda to feed him. It's as if
he's thanking me for the grub. How about YOUR furry ruler(s)? What
kind of meow do you get?

Pickles usually says "hoo" very softly when she wants attention or treats.
Otherwise, she doesn't say anything. Once, though, she really startled me
by saying a very clear "Meow!"

Waffles has a little "mew" he uses if he wants attention or thinks it's time
for his gooshy food (He usually starts that one about an hour early).

Skeeter (RB) used to say "meowt!" loud and clear when she wanted me to open
the door and let her out.

Rudy (RB) usually made a sort of creaky door sound. The first time we took
him to the vet, the vet said, "Is his meower broken?"

Joy

Old August 21st 09, 03:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Baird Stafford wrote:
In article
,
Bobcat wrote:

[...]

When Princess (Siamese RB 16) first adopted me, she had a wonderful
vocabulary of sounds but hard to describe. She had a variety of trills
also. As she got older and we could read each other's minds, the sounds
diminished. TuTu used to say meow. Now she gives very faint meeps or
else she sounds like a wounded seagull when she really wants my
attention. MLB
Old August 21st 09, 03:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Bobcat wrote:
Cats are supposed to say "meow", but none of our indoor kitties do.
Martha our darling tortie says "meep" (softly). Emily our grey brat
says "yeaow" (loudly), and Sophie our chubby black sweetie says
"waa" (frequently). Only Mooch our resident stray says "meow" (two
times, quietly) when I appear on the veranda to feed him. It's as if
he's thanking me for the grub. How about YOUR furry ruler(s)? What
kind of meow do you get?

Miranda has a very wide vocabulary and holds long conversations with me.
Among her sounds is a very crisp meow! and she also says her name, meer.
She says ma-ma? or it may be that she's imitating me saying mat-mat?
(mat=food in Swedish). In spite of her vocabulary and strong voice when
using it, her purr is mostly inaudible.

Caliban is much more quiet. He meeps very faintly when he is begging for
food (he's so weak from starvation, you know). Sometimes he's in the
other room and lets out a MOW which I interpret as, 'where are you,
meowmie?' When I call his name, he comes trotting into the room I'm in
and seems content when he's seen me.

Caliban trotting reminds me that my cats have very distinct sounds when
they walk, too. Miranda doesn't bother pulling in her claws, so she
clicks around like a d*g on my laminate floor. Caliban keeps his claws
in, but he stomps so loudly that I can always hear him coming anyway.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

[[MEOW}} Pepper The-Cat Cats - misc 1 December 11th 06 01:43 PM
Meow, said the cat... Karen AKA Kajikit Cat anecdotes 2 February 7th 06 12:19 AM
meow [email protected] Cat anecdotes 1 September 14th 05 01:36 AM
meow Cwazy Cwazy Catt Cat health & behaviour 0 September 14th 05 01:36 AM
Meow Mix CD Steve Touchstone Cat anecdotes 12 May 23rd 04 06:13 PM