Dr. Jekyll cat is Mr. Hyde at the vet

Old October 23rd 03, 04:08 AM
rishi

Default Dr. Jekyll cat is Mr. Hyde at the vet

This has happened twice. The cat in question is the only pet in the
household. She is very docile and playful (mixed breed). She loves new
people or visitors and sidles up to them and plays with them.
Absolutely very social. Not declawed but does not scratch in attack,
has never bitten anyone (except pseudo-biting in play - never skin
penetration). Will run up and approach people in the hallway to play
with them.

At the vet, the cat is a completely different animal. Hissing,
swiping, growling, even at its owner. This is immediately upon
arriving at the vet exam room. Is ok in the waiting room.

We are dumbfounded as the other 364.9 days of the year, this cat could
win the cat Nobel Peace Prize. It's like Jekyll and Hyde.

Any suggestions?

(We are also super embarrassed as this is the only side of the cat the
vet has ever seen...)
Old October 23rd 03, 05:52 AM
Iso

If you are inquiring why your cat acts differently, it's because of the
scents that are emitted by all the animals that are there, and have been
there. Different animals have emitted all kinds of pheromones, urine, feces.
one of the most imperative ways in which a cat receives feedback about his
environment is smell. Sense of smell helps the cat communicate with others
of his own kind and assess the potential risks and pleasures associated with
every waking moment. It's literally on sensory overload.

Old October 23rd 03, 12:29 PM
Joe Pitt

A couple of things:
1) Have you had the cat since it was a kitten? If you got her as an adult,
she may have had a bad experience at the vet. One of the adults I rescued
was like that too.
2) There are lots of smells in the exam room: other animals, medicines that
were given to previous pets, etc. that may bother her.
3) You might try a cat only vet. I use one and found some of the cats are
more relaxed without the dog smells and sounds.
Good luck.

--
Joe
http://www.jwpitt.com/cats.htm

om...

Old October 23rd 03, 03:31 PM
rishi

"Iso" wrote in message om...
If you are inquiring why your cat acts differently, it's because of the
scents that are emitted by all the animals that are there, and have been
there.

OK I hear you.

Any suggestions on what we do about it? I would like the cat to have a
successful vet visit.

Old October 23rd 03, 07:20 PM
Wayne

Try a couple of drops of valerian compound into cats mouth then a couple of
drops on the bedding, it exerts a calming influence and can be obtained from
herbalist for cats quite cheaply and lasts a long time in the bottle!

--
Teresa Bryant
om...

Old October 23rd 03, 09:30 PM
Cathy Friedmann

This is not unique to your cat; many otherwise perfectly sweet cats act like
this when they're at the vet's, & one feels obligated to reassure the vet
that, really, at home the cat is a placid, friendly being. ;-)

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

om...