Mike made it. OT more or less

Old August 12th 08, 04:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

Default Mike made it. OT more or less

Well, Mike made it to Orlando yesterday and was settled into his apartment
today. He discovered that his phone runs out of juice in 5-6 hours as he is
in what would be a roaming area, except that we changed our plan to a nation
wide non-roaming one. So he complains to me and I call Alltel and find out
that since the change from Analog to digital they've been getting a lot of
complaints of this sort. Mike's options are to carry on as he is doing, buy
a second battery and switch them out, turn off the phone unless he needs to
make a call, change his plan so that he can only call home and receive calls
from home, or change to a different company down there. Since the last
isn't happening (he'd have to pay for his own plan) it looks like he's going
to have his cell phone on the charger unless he has to take it off to go
somewhere, like work.

He will be sharing a three bedroom apartment with five other guys. I can
smell disaster already; I know what slobs males can be. I also know what a
slob Mike can be. I kept the advice down to suggesting that the apartment
mates have a rules meeting and that everyone label their own food. He could
buy a small fridge, I guess, but I don't see that happening. When I talked
to him last, the group or the five of them that were there already were
taking a trip to Wal-Mart to get food and other supplies. Sigh.

Rob had an MRI today to see if the growth was still there, had grown, or
shifted location. We'll be picking up the films on the 19th for his
oncology appointment on the 20th. I'm not hopeful. QC, Huey, and Merlin
have been living on Rob, more or less. His feline medical staff has spoken.
I suspect that the minute they stopped the chemo the cancer kicked into
overdrive. To do them credit, the three nursemaids have also been trying to
comfort me. When Merlin isn't trying to beat up Tanada, that is. Some days
I wonder.

Pam S.

Old August 12th 08, 05:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"tanadashoes" wrote in message
m...
Well, Mike made it to Orlando yesterday and was settled into his
apartment today. He discovered that his phone runs out of juice in
5-6 hours as he is in what would be a roaming area, except that we
changed our plan to a nation wide non-roaming one. So he complains
to me and I call Alltel and find out that since the change from
Analog to digital they've been getting a lot of complaints of this
sort. Mike's options are to carry on as he is doing, buy a second
battery and switch them out, turn off the phone unless he needs to
make a call, change his plan so that he can only call home and
receive calls from home, or change to a different company down
there. Since the last isn't happening (he'd have to pay for his own
plan) it looks like he's going to have his cell phone on the charger
unless he has to take it off to go somewhere, like work.

It would help if he had a charger for the car as well. And I'm
guessing that a lot of the time at work the phone should be turned off
anyway.

He will be sharing a three bedroom apartment with five other guys.
I can smell disaster already; I know what slobs males can be. I
also know what a slob Mike can be. I kept the advice down to
suggesting that the apartment mates have a rules meeting and that
everyone label their own food. He could buy a small fridge, I
guess, but I don't see that happening. When I talked to him last,
the group or the five of them that were there already were taking a
trip to Wal-Mart to get food and other supplies. Sigh.

It will be a learning experience. One he really can't get any other
way. Oldest grandson (20) is here today and has been sharing
apartments for two years now. He's found it is actually better to
share with near strangers than to share with friends. Friends are
often quicker to take advantage.

I've been suprised at how good his digs look, even when I've been by
when they really had no notice. But we won't get into the number of
cans and bottles in the garbage bags out on the patio.

Rob had an MRI today to see if the growth was still there, had
grown, or shifted location. We'll be picking up the films on the
19th for his oncology appointment on the 20th. I'm not hopeful.
QC, Huey, and Merlin have been living on Rob, more or less. His
feline medical staff has spoken. I suspect that the minute they
stopped the chemo the cancer kicked into overdrive. To do them
credit, the three nursemaids have also been trying to comfort me.
When Merlin isn't trying to beat up Tanada, that is. Some days I
wonder.

Hope the news is better than you expect. Gotta love those cats.

Jo

Old August 12th 08, 07:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

[...]

(((((((Pam and Rob)))))))

Joy

Old August 12th 08, 09:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley via CatKB.com

tanadashoes wrote:

Rob had an MRI today to see if the growth was still there, had grown, or
shifted location. We'll be picking up the films on the 19th for his
oncology appointment on the 20th. I'm not hopeful.

Keep us posted..we're thinking of you and Rob and sending powerful purrs

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old August 12th 08, 01:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

tanadashoes wrote:
He will be sharing a three bedroom apartment with five other guys. I
can smell disaster already; I know what slobs males can be. I also
know what a slob Mike can be. I kept the advice down to suggesting
that the apartment mates have a rules meeting and that everyone label
their own food. He could buy a small fridge, I guess, but I don't
see that happening. When I talked to him last, the group or the five
of them that were there already were taking a trip to Wal-Mart to get
food and other supplies. Sigh.

I smell trouble brewing too! Slob factor aside (I'm a clutter-bug) there
MUST be rules and not just about food, especially when there are that many
people (I can't imagine!) Some examples:

1. If you cook something, clean up (wash up) after yourself.
2. Respect each others work/sleep hours.
3. Entertaining: Nothing worse than needing some down time (and yes, young
people need it too!) only to find your roomate has invited 10 people over.
Especially when those 10 people tell 10 other people... Parties/gatherings
need to be planned in advance and okay with everyone.
4. Can guests spend the night? How many nights? Been there/done that
years ago when my roommate let someone spend the night and he was still
there - and not paying contributing monetarily towards anything - a month
later. It put a real strain on our friendship when I had to have a talk
with her about it.
5. Buy your own toilet paper. You'll just have to trust me on this one

Rob had an MRI today to see if the growth was still there, had grown,
or shifted location. We'll be picking up the films on the 19th for
his oncology appointment on the 20th. I'm not hopeful. QC, Huey,
and Merlin have been living on Rob, more or less. His feline medical
staff has spoken. I suspect that the minute they stopped the chemo
the cancer kicked into overdrive. To do them credit, the three
nursemaids have also been trying to comfort me. When Merlin isn't
trying to beat up Tanada, that is. Some days I wonder.

Pam S.

Revving up Persia to do some mega purring you are wrong about the cancer! I
hope the kitties just sense how worried you both must be.

Jill

Old August 12th 08, 03:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

[...]

I know how you feel, but kudos to you for not trying to interfere - they
just have to learn these things on their own (teenage motto is "but that's
not going to happen to *me*"! ;

Rob had an MRI today to see if the growth was still there, had grown, or
shifted location. We'll be picking up the films on the 19th for his
oncology appointment on the 20th. I'm not hopeful. QC, Huey, and Merlin
have been living on Rob, more or less. His feline medical staff has
spoken. I suspect that the minute they stopped the chemo the cancer kicked
into overdrive. To do them credit, the three nursemaids have also been
trying to comfort me. When Merlin isn't trying to beat up Tanada, that
is. Some days I wonder.

Pam S.

Purrs coming for Rob and for you. I can't even imagine what you must be
going through, so I won't say I know how you're feeling - I can only offer a
cyber shoulder for you any time you need to vent.

Nose Kisses,

CatNipped

Old August 12th 08, 04:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"tanadashoes" wrote in message .

I know how you feel, but kudos to you for not trying to interfere -
they just have to learn these things on their own (teenage motto is
"but that's not going to happen to *me*"! ;

One of the first and best lessons Michael learned out on his own was
what a real jerk one of his high school friends was.

I hadn't been able to put a dent in that friendship in four years.
Sharing an apartment destroyed it in two months.

Jo

Old August 12th 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Jofirey" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"tanadashoes" wrote in message .

I know how you feel, but kudos to you for not trying to interfere - they
just have to learn these things on their own (teenage motto is "but
that's not going to happen to *me*"! ;

One of the first and best lessons Michael learned out on his own was what
a real jerk one of his high school friends was.

I hadn't been able to put a dent in that friendship in four years. Sharing
an apartment destroyed it in two months.

Jo

LOL! That's destroyed a lot of marriages too! ;

Chin Skritches,

CatNipped

Old August 12th 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Jofirey" wrote in message

It would help if he had a charger for the car as well. And I'm guessing
that a lot of the time at work the phone should be turned off anyway.

Mike took the AmTrak down to Orlando and left his car with me. He saw the
traffic down there in June and decided that he didn't want to risk his life
and limb with it. Floridians, and the tourists who invade the area, drive
worse than the natives do here. He enjoyed the trip, but the kitchen on the
train burned everyone's hasbrowns and that made his complimentary meal less
than enjoyable. I told him to complain.

It will be a learning experience. One he really can't get any other way.
Oldest grandson (20) is here today and has been sharing apartments for two
years now. He's found it is actually better to share with near strangers
than to share with friends. Friends are often quicker to take advantage.

I've been suprised at how good his digs look, even when I've been by when
they really had no notice. But we won't get into the number of cans and
bottles in the garbage bags out on the patio.

Mike is a slob here, but amazes others in the various places he has lived in
by how "neat" he is. I offered to give a video tour of his room at home,
but was told that they didn't need to see that in order to know what an
extraordinary young man he is. Sheesh, he's a slob for crying out loud.

Rob had an MRI today to see if the growth was still there, had grown, or
shifted location. We'll be picking up the films on the 19th for his
oncology appointment on the 20th. I'm not hopeful. QC, Huey, and Merlin
have been living on Rob, more or less. His feline medical staff has
spoken. I suspect that the minute they stopped the chemo the cancer
kicked into overdrive. To do them credit, the three nursemaids have also
been trying to comfort me. When Merlin isn't trying to beat up Tanada,
that is. Some days I wonder.

Hope the news is better than you expect. Gotta love those cats.

Jo

Thanks. I seem to be joining Rob in his insomnia lately. The cats have no
problem with this as they can go into Mike's room if they want to sleep in
peace. I keep finding QC and Pine Cone in there already.

Pam S.

Old August 12th 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

tanadashoes wrote:
[...]

Pam, you know if you need to talk, I'm here. Wish I could check on Mike,
but now Allan's out of a job completely and we have no idea what we're going
to do.

kili

I made a LOL Adrian[_2_] Cat anecdotes 2 May 12th 08 06:36 PM
This made me LOL Adrian[_2_] Cat anecdotes 2 February 5th 08 10:48 PM
Well at least we made it Matthew Cat anecdotes 0 August 31st 06 07:59 PM
I made her bed and she must lie in it Baha via CatKB.com Cat anecdotes 5 June 23rd 06 02:23 AM
OT : This really made me mad KittyLady Cat anecdotes 30 May 31st 05 02:53 AM