Distemper

Old October 3rd 03, 10:41 PM
Cindi

Default Distemper

Newbie here...thanks in advance if any of you can answer my questions about
distemper. Stopped at the local humane society today and fell in love with an
adorable 16 week kitten. He's alert and lively and a little purr-machine.
HOWEVER, the shelter worker said he and his two brothers were born with
distemper...but that they've been given shots and "they'll be fine". I know a
bit about distemper but not enough to know if this is true, or if I'm letting
myself (and the kitten) in for problems. AND I already have a cat and a dog as
well. My questions a 1) Will the distemper shot 'cure' or at least prevent
its worsening? 2) is the distemper still contagious? i.e. to my other cat
and/or dog? 3) what is his future going to be? will be survive and be healthy?
4) would YOU take this kitten? I hate to think of this kitten never being
adopted and perhaps even being put down because of the distemper; but on the
other hand I don't want to start out with problems and perhaps infect my
current pet(s). Any advice would be appreciated.
Old October 3rd 03, 11:02 PM
Mary

Newbie here...thanks in advance if any of you can answer my questions about
distemper.

I found this information on the web.
Feline Panleukopenia (Feline Distemper)

What is Feline Panleukopenia?

Feline Panleukopenia is a serious infectious disease. It is relatively common
in unvaccinated cats and is often fatal, especially for young kittens. The
feline Panleukopenia virus, also known as FPV, is easily spread by contact with
a diseased animal or its secretions.

Panleukopenia is often referred to as feline distemper because it produces
symptoms similar to those displayed in dogs with distemper. These two diseases
are different, however, and are not caused by the same virus.

Who's at Risk?

Any cat or kitten that has not been vaccinated against feline Panleukopenia is
at risk. This is a hardy virus that can lurk in carpets and upholstery for
years.

Cats can be infected by litter boxes, food bowls and even toys and clothes.
Therefore, introducing an unvaccinated cat to a surroundings previously
inhabited by a sick cat, puts her at great risk.

Kittens are especially susceptible to feline distemper because their immune
systems are often underdeveloped and cannot fight off the infection. In fact,
kittens can be infected in utero or during birth. Mortality rates for this form
of neonatal Panleukopenia are extremely high. Survivors of the infection may
suffer cerebellar damage.

Symptoms

Symptoms of feline distemper usually show up within a week and a half of
exposure to the virus. Sick cats often run a high fever, accompanied by apathy
and loss of appetite. Vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain may also be
present.

Treatment

If you suspect that your cat may have feline Panleukopenia, get her to the vet
immediately. Early detection and treatment is crucial for the cat survival and
recovery.

Your vet will probably perform a blood test and begin immediate life supportive
measures, including intravenous fluids, antibiotics and sometimes even blood
transfusions.

Prevention

The best prevention for feline Panleukopenia is by vaccinating all cats and
kittens. This is one of the routine vaccines every kitten should get. Annual
boosters are required to keep the body's defenses active.

Remember that kittens need some time to fully acquire the immunization. So even
if your kitten has been given her shots, avoid exposure to other cats (other
than her litter mates) until the age of four months.

Breeders should make sure that breeding queens are vaccinated before mating.
This will allow the newborn kittens some immunity, provided they have nursed on
their mother's first milk (the colostrum).

Old October 4th 03, 01:18 AM
Shawn & Michelle

I'm not a vet and don't want to lead you astray - so please check
other
sources of info as well! We adopted a stray that had distempter and
gave it to one of our cats, who was already vaccinated. The stray
didn't make it, but our cat was ok after being sick for a while. We
had other cats, but he was the only one that got sick.

Anyway, after Tom recovered, I believe his distemper was completely
erradicated. None of our other cats ever got it and he never showed
symptoms again. So, I think once it's gone, it's cured.

Perhaps if you call a vet's office, they can tell you for sure!

Michelle

Old October 4th 03, 04:26 AM
Kalyahna

"Cindi" wrote in message
[...]

Speak to the shelter veterinarian, or whatever veterinarian this shelter
uses to diagnose things like distemper. If the kitten contracted panleuk
(feline distemper) during birth or in the womb, and it's still kicking four
months later, it's beaten the panleuk. The kitten should still receive
proper vaccinations (though the "shots" the worker referred to might well
include that, since most shelters vaccinate against diseases that can wreak
total devastation in that setting).
Make sure that your cat has been vaccinated and is at least two weeks beyond
the vaccination (or booster, whichever would be later), as it can take up to
14 days for the immune system to deal with the vaccine. Your dog cannot
catch feline distemper, so no worries there.
Your questions are all ones that can and should be posed to the same shelter
worker who informed you that the kitten was born with distemper. If he can't
answer those questions, experience tells me that he heard it from someone
but doesn't actually know anything about it himself, which again tells me
you should speak to the medical staff at that shelter.

And would I take this kitten? If it's sixteen weeks old, was "born" with
distemper, but has gotten its shots? I would request to see the kitten's
medical information (history of shots and whatnot), and if necessary take
the info to my personal vet for her opinion. If my vet was satisfied, that
would be enough for me.