anyone heard from Hopitus?

Old July 2nd 12, 11:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default anyone heard from Hopitus?

"MaryL" wrote in message

"Cheryl" wrote in message
.com...

On 6/27/2012 8:32 PM, Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:

She posted about the fires around Denver and Colorado Springs (and that
the local teamGO BRONCOS) have donated money to assist, today,
actually.

I cry when I see the evacuation of the horses most of all. A reminder
that the wildlife can't be escorted to safety, and how scared the horses
must be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My greatest fear in the event of a fire has always been that I could not
get to Holly and Duffy (and earlier cats, before them).

MaryL

Yes, in the case of evacuation because of fire or earthquake, my first
concern would be Pickles and Waffles, and the chances are they'd hide where
I couldn't get at them. That worries me a lot when I allow myself to think
about it. As it is, putting Pickles in a carrier for evacuation would be a
nightmare, since she's so claustrophobic.

Joy

Old July 2nd 12, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article om, Matthew
wrote:

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Joy
wrote:
"Pat" wrote in message
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Being "politically correct" seems to have deteriorated to a point
where any recognition of legitimate cultural differences has
become suspect!

de-lurkIndeed it has. And the "etiquette" of staying silent in
public about political and religious matters has resulted in a
society so complacent that freedom is vanishing on all fronts,
indeed our very existence is now threatened.

How is it that we cannot discuss and debate real issues without
everyone getting ****ed off and withdrawing into their private
caves? The tactic which has brought us to this state of affairs is
called "divide and conquer" and has been promulgated by those who
already have more financial assets than they or their descendents
will ever need and whose principal drive is to gain more and more
power and control. Control over you and me.

Some of us can discuss such things rationally, but we have to be very
careful who we discuss them with. Too many people become angry and
resort to name-calling and insults. I must admit, there are very few
people I dare discuss politics with. When my husband was alive, he
was not one of them. We belonged to different parties, and learned
early in our marriage that we could not discuss partisan politics
without becoming angry. Within a month or so, we agreed never to
discuss such things. That saved us a lot of arguments.

Joy

On my first date with DH (I was sixteen and he was seventeen) we
discussed politics and religion. Not to make sure that we agreed on
everything but to make sure that we were both open minded enough to
respect each other's opinions. Of course if we'd had views that the
other really found awful, we needed to know before we went any
further. OK, we were strange, serious kids. That date was November
1971 and we're still together, must have worked for us. We still
discuss such things and have to agree to disagree on some.

Judith

-- Judith Latham Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

Rule one Never discuss Religion, Sex and Politics. Everyone has an
opinion and they are always wrong :-)

Sometimes other people's ideas are interesting food for thought. However,
if they push them in my face, I can't be bothered to listen.

Judith

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

That's my take, in a nutshell.

Joy

Old July 2nd 12, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Bastette" wrote in message
Judith Latham wrote:

Rule one Never discuss Religion, Sex and Politics. Everyone has an
opinion and they are always wrong :-)

Sometimes other people's ideas are interesting food for thought.
However,
if they push them in my face, I can't be bothered to listen.

That's how I feel. I really enjoy talking about politics. But not when
people get totally obnoxious.

There are a lot of newsgroups where some truly psychotic ultra-right
racists have taken over. Some of them, such as rec.arts.tv, have
actual content I'm interested in, but you have to wade through hundreds
of posts where people just rant about... things not worthy of mention.
Of course I use my killfile, but they're even there in the legit posts.
I don't think this group will ever be like that because even when we
do talk about politics, it doesn't take over the whole group. And we
don't have people whose views are totally extreme.

I'm not crazy about rabid leftists, either - even when I more or less
agree with what they're saying. It's like, "Alright, alright, preaching
to the choir here! Shut up and play some music." But you don't see much
of that on Usenet. I've certainly heard it elsewhere, though.

--
Joyce

"Riveting reading that keeps readers reading."
-- The Midwest Book Review

Fanatics are troublemakers, and often downright dangerous, no matter what
their cause.

Joy

Old July 3rd 12, 03:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
OB Cats: Persia is losing weight. She's been "fluffy" for years. Losing
weight was the goal, but now I think she needs to maintain her present
weight. A change of food may be in order.

Jill

Get her checked for kidney function please.

Old July 3rd 12, 05:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
OB Cats: Persia is losing weight. She's been "fluffy" for years. Losing
weight was the goal, but now I think she needs to maintain her present
weight. A change of food may be in order.

Jill

Get her checked for kidney function please.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Good advice!!!

MaryL

Old July 3rd 12, 03:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 15:04:25 -0700, "Joy" wrote:

"MaryL" wrote in message

"Cheryl" wrote in message
[...]

I use the Loc8tor, which was just being discussed in the health group.
I can track each cat to where they're hiding. That is often a very
valuable ability.
Old July 3rd 12, 06:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

Bastette wrote:
Judith Latham wrote:

On my first date with DH (I was sixteen and he was seventeen) we discussed
politics and religion. Not to make sure that we agreed on everything but
to make sure that we were both open minded enough to respect each other's
opinions. Of course if we'd had views that the other really found awful,
we needed to know before we went any further. OK, we were strange, serious
kids. That date was November 1971 and we're still together, must have
worked for us. We still discuss such things and have to agree to disagree
on some.

I wouldn't want to be close to someone whose views offended me. I can't
separate someone's beliefs from who they are as people. Beliefs express
important things about people.

But there are a lot of people whose beliefs I can respect, even if I
don't share them 100%. Maybe the areas of disagreement aren't as
central to either of us. And there are lots of controversial issues
where I can see both sides, even when my personal opinion is firmly
on one side.

But to be partnered with someone, I need to feel like there's enough
basic common ground, like we have compatible underlying perspectives
on things. We might disagree on details, but we share the important
parts of our vision of how things are and how they should be. That's
part of what partnership is about to me.

All of this is to say that I think you did a wise thing. Yeah, most
people wouldn't have that conversation on their first date, but so
what? If he had turned out to be, say, an unrepentant racist, it would
certainly have been good to know that right from the start, right?

Sounds like you and I are pretty close in age. I turned 17 in the fall
of '71, graduated HS in '72.

When a friend got married, a few years ago, I was surprised to learn that
the vicar's wife was an atheist. It also made me smile when one of the
bridesmaids asked, "Where does your cat sleep?" and the vicar said.
"Anywhere she wants."

--
Adrian
Old July 5th 12, 12:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Smokie Darling (Annie)" wrote in message
On Saturday, June 30, 2012 2:59:52 PM UTC-6, Bastette wrote:
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:

Thanks for the ideas though. A friend suggested getting everyone in
town to dress up and do our own rain dance, but the "suits" said that
would be insulting to certain peoples (um, hello? I *am* one of

those
certain peoples, and I think it's a great idea).

The suit's comment also assumes that none of those certain peoples
would be participating, so "we" are going to insult "them." As though
"they" are not even part of the proceedings.

Exactly my point. It was actually humorous, if it hadn't been so stupid.
I mean, why not get the whole town together, we can chant, sing, praise
[whomever], and be a *community*. Oops, can't do that.

Being "politically correct" seems to have deteriorated to a point

where
any recognition of legitimate cultural differences has become suspect!

Yes, but only by people who don't think about the issues very deeply. I
hate the melting pot idea - let's all become one big blob of non-culture!
Usually what that means (in the US) is that anyone who isn't anglo should
give up their own culture and assimilate into the dominant (anglo)
culture.
Often when people say, "Really, we're all the same," they usually mean
"Everyone is like me."

Oh heavens, I hope everyone isn't like me! That'd be pretty awful (lol).

I think not. I feel fairly sure that what you did helped me to live, along
with the purrs and prayers.
My doctors said I would die in a few weeks but they never knew the power of
rspca and INDN and here I still am.

Tweed

..

Old July 5th 12, 08:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...
... My doctors said I would die in a few weeks but they never
knew the power of rspca ...

A bit of a Freudian typo there, surely? Most of us will know yor
attitude towards the RSPCA.

The RSPCA don't have any legal powers beyond those available to
Joe Public - but they like to style themselves as "The Animal
Police". Examples are given he
http://the-shg.org/The%20Law%20and%20the%20RSPCA.htm.

--
MatSav

Old July 6th 12, 01:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"MatSav" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in message
... My doctors said I would die in a few weeks but they never knew the
power of rspca ...

A bit of a Freudian typo there, surely? Most of us will know yor attitude
towards the RSPCA.

Whoops, yes! I mean this group of course

The RSPCA don't have any legal powers beyond those available to Joe
Public - but they like to style themselves as "The Animal Police".
Examples are given he
http://the-shg.org/The%20Law%20and%20the%20RSPCA.htm.

I am not saying that they don't do some good work where real animal cruelty
is involved, but they can be very heavy handed and intimidating when it is
not necessary. Most people believe what they like to portray, that they
have powers akin to the police - they don't.

Hopitus is right (OT) Lesley Cat anecdotes 9 February 5th 09 08:15 PM
Where is Hopitus? Pat Cat anecdotes 6 June 9th 06 02:03 AM
Ping: Hopitus Victor Martinez Cat anecdotes 3 July 25th 05 05:12 AM
PING Hopitus Monique Y. Mudama Cat anecdotes 7 May 1st 05 02:48 PM
About Hopitus Karen Chuplis Cat anecdotes 41 June 27th 04 08:53 PM