Introducing the newest member of our family...

Old March 19th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Introducing the newest member of our family...

A cat tree!

The girls have never had one but it's one of those things that I
really thought they 'should' have, only they're so expensive... we
went to Walmart today and noticed somebody had a cat-tree-in-a-box in
their cart, so we went over to the pet section and had a look and it
was only $30. Of course it's made of cardboard with el-cheapo carpet
glued onto it, and it's not a thing of beauty and a joy forever, but
it'll do for now... we brought it home, opened the box and figured out
how to put it together (it's clever and it has a built-in spring to
brace itself against the ceiling and hold itself together under
tension...) and then we showed it to the cats.

Scouty took one look at it and slunk out of the room with her tail
between her legs.

Silver climbed onto the side table next to it and put one paw on it
and said 'it doesn't look very sturdy meowmie', and refused to take
any further interest.

Tessie made up for them. John got me to bring her into the room and
put her onto one of the platforms while we were still erecting it and
she looked around her in puzzlement for a moment 'how did I get up
here and how do I get down?!' but when I tried to lift her down so we
could put it into place she didn't want to get off! She was up that
thing like it was a kitty ladder to fun. John waves the
feather-on-a-stick around the post to attract her attention, and it
only took her about ten minutes to scamper her way up to the very top
platform, and to figure out how to climb down again. She had a BLAST!
Even if they never use it again, I think Tessie got a third of its
value in fun already

And of course here are the photos -
Perched at the very top -
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...15899315zEFPwK

Umm... how do I get down from here?
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...15899315BGENQR

Hmmm... what's this strange blue tree doing in my living room?
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...15899315MEORJr

I'll just watch...
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...15899315VPWrIK

Intent on her prey -
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...15899315zupFqK

Let me at it!
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...15899315wAOVPZ

(and there are more in the album...)
Old March 19th 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Make sure you have the camera ready. When both of them try to stay at the
top and play king of the mountain at 4 am in the morning.
I am happy to see your back Karen. I love your updates on the furballs

Exactly how old is Tessie I believe that is the jet black one. I am
probably wrong but I am terrible with names

Matthew

Old March 19th 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

The girls have never had one but it's one of those things that I
really thought they 'should' have, only they're so expensive...

I put catnip on ours. Instant Kitty Heaven.

My mom allegedly disapproved of the bitties and our choice to keep
them, and yet the first time she came over with them here, she went out
to pet valu and dropped $70 on a second cat tree, with the statement
"one isn't enough for 4 cats."

Yeah. Owned.

--Fil

Old March 19th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I came home from visiting my family for christmas and was on the phone
talking to my mother telling her i had a safe flight; and was opening
the front door when i saw it.

"Kristi? what's wrong?"

"Uh, nothing Mom...but there's a cat tree in the apartment."

I said goodbye and called my roommate, "Uh do you know anything about a
cat tree in our apartment?"

"Oh yeah, I know a little about it. Merry Christmas!"

Mischief took to it immediately, since it was a high perch for her to
oversee her domain. Imp took a while longer but eventually warmed up
to it.

Mayhem likes it too, but doesn't spend a lot of time on it, mainly
since she knows it's Mischief's perch. But one time i did catch her at
the top.

Give Scout and Silver time, they should warm up to it.

Kristi

Old March 19th 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

What a great housemate you have Kristi!

Our two cats have partitioned the cat tree into "his" and "hers"
zones. The cats get along really well, but the upper platform is
Spock Territory and Persephone just *will not* go there. The swinging
basket, however, is Persephone's and Spock feigns deep disinterest in
it.

So funny.

Tish

Old March 19th 06, 04:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 01:47:20 GMT, "Matthew AKA NMR \( NO MORE RETAIL
\)" 10 points a troll @linethetrollsup.com wrote:

Make sure you have the camera ready. When both of them try to stay at the
top and play king of the mountain at 4 am in the morning.
I am happy to see your back Karen. I love your updates on the furballs

Exactly how old is Tessie I believe that is the jet black one. I am
probably wrong but I am terrible with names

Yes Tessie is our little black kitty. Since I found her wandering
around in the street we don't know exactly how old she is, but I
guestimated she was about 16 weeks when I picked her up, so now she's
5 months old. She seems to be the same size as Scouty and Silver were
when we adopted them now. But they had all their adult teeth and
Tessie is still teething, so I don't know. John thinks she might be
younger...
Old March 19th 06, 07:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
[...]

When I got Persia I thought, you know, I never wanted a cat so I'm certainly
not going to go so far as to buy her furniture. Soon, however, she was the
proud owner of a small cat tree. And I said to myself, I'm sure as heck not
going to buy her fancy cat food. Soon, however, she was the proud Saturday
eater of Fancy Feast. And I said to myself, I'm sure never going to buy her
any kitty toys. Soon, however, I found myself buying cat toys. Now I have
cat toys all over the place. (And I think Peaches has perfected this, too,
since I have waaay too many bird toys!)

Cats have this way of slinking into your brain and ordering you to do
things. Really!

Have John take some discarded wood and some carpet remnants and sisal rope
(I have a small bit I can send to you) and put together something that isn't
cardboard. Might cost you a hundred bucks or so but it will last and the
cats will have great fun with it!

Jill

Old March 19th 06, 09:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:

And of course here are the photos [snip]

Great pictures! I love the first one - Tessie looks like a silhouette,
especially since she blends in with the cat tree.

I'm sure S&S will be playing on it in no time.

Joyce
Old March 19th 06, 12:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
A cat tree!

snip
And of course here are the photos -
Perched at the very top -
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...15899315zEFPwK

Umm... how do I get down from here?
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...15899315BGENQR

Hmmm... what's this strange blue tree doing in my living room?
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...15899315MEORJr

I'll just watch...
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...15899315VPWrIK

Intent on her prey -
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...15899315zupFqK

Let me at it!
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...15899315wAOVPZ

(and there are more in the album...)

Great pictures! I wonder how long it will be before Scouty and Silver start
to enjoy it. :-)
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.