Kitten advice

Old September 23rd 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Njwatcher

Default Kitten advice

Around 8:00pm found a 10 day old kitten on our Balcony (how she got
there, I do not know). She may have been there since Thursday night;
one of our condo-mates heard a cat downstairs and thought it was one of
ours, and our cats showed interest at the balcony. She has some eye
damage and a possible upper resp, but my main issue is she will not eat
from a nipple, though she is searching around for food (I assume) and
crying up a storm. ((Another issue is getting the nipple prepped
correctly, though I may have solved that one.))

ALL hint and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This board was
essential last year when I found my last kitten, who was also blind
(and still is). She is a terror, but we still love her :-)

My sister who is a veterinarian came over and could not get her to eat.
While we used an eye dropper to place milk replacer in her mouth, we
don't want her to aspirate. My sister thinks she should be good till
morning, and then obviously we should go to our own vet (already
planned). If the guano hits the fan tonight, I will take the kitten to
an emergency clinic.

Derek

email:
AIM: Hicktock.

Thanks

Derek

Old September 23rd 06, 06:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

10 days old! That is incredible. Do you have apartments above you? Could
she have fallen?

You probably know she needs to be kept nice and warm since kittens rely
on the nest and littermates for heat.

I don't have any good advice on feeding. I had to feed a 7 week old with
a syringe, but not a newborn.

That's great that you're getting care for her. Good luck tomorrow and
let us know how she's doing.

Rhonda

Old September 23rd 06, 06:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Njwatcher

Rhonda wrote:
10 days old! That is incredible. Do you have apartments above you? Could
she have fallen?

You probably know she needs to be kept nice and warm since kittens rely
on the nest and littermates for heat.

I don't have any good advice on feeding. I had to feed a 7 week old with
a syringe, but not a newborn.

That's great that you're getting care for her. Good luck tomorrow and
let us know how she's doing.

Rhonda

Its 1:45AM, doing the 2hr feeding thing. I think I got her to eat last
shift, unsure of this shift. And I successfully got her to pish (all
over my shirt and pants), now just to get her to deficate. Next feed-
3:30 AM.

Derek

Old September 23rd 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Njwatcher wrote:
Rhonda wrote:

10 days old! That is incredible. Do you have apartments above you? Could
she have fallen?

You probably know she needs to be kept nice and warm since kittens rely
on the nest and littermates for heat.

I don't have any good advice on feeding. I had to feed a 7 week old with
a syringe, but not a newborn.

That's great that you're getting care for her. Good luck tomorrow and
let us know how she's doing.

Rhonda

Its 1:45AM, doing the 2hr feeding thing. I think I got her to eat last
shift, unsure of this shift. And I successfully got her to pish (all
over my shirt and pants), now just to get her to deficate. Next feed-
3:30 AM.

What a night! How is kitty this morning?

Rhonda

Old September 23rd 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Njwatcher

What a night! How is kitty this morning?

Rhonda

Fed again at 3:30,5:30,7:30. Figured out an acceptable bottle/teet at
5:30 and she drank away, as well as urinated, again at 7:30. At 9:15 we
were at the vet (cat labeled as "E" seeing she does not have a name").

Vet guessed she was around 2 weeks, upper resp and eye infections, eyes
swollen. Needs to be fed every 2-4hrs (will be fun seeing I and fiance
work 30mins-hr from home ). 2 meds, come back in a week,etc. Luckly
they knocked off 20 off the bill and I know they will not charge us for
next week or all the following check ups (unless there are more
issues). Vet warned us kittens are abdandoned for a reason and said
there is a 50% mortality rate....

So kitten was fed again at 10:30, and now 1: 00(fiance slept through
her shift seeing I didn't sleep last night).

So thats where we are now.

Meds will be now, and tonight. She will be in quarenteen for a bit.
Still no feces.

Derek

Old September 23rd 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Njwatcher

Gail wrote:
You are sooo wonderful to take care of this little kitten. Keep us posted.
Gail

As of the 5:00pm feed, I think she has become a little weaker (I hope I
am wrong). I will be feeding her again at 7, and then I am off to do
EMS for the evening (I volunteer every Sat night at the local 1st Aid
Squad). I am sure I will be brining a crew back to visit. My fiancé
will be medicating her tonight as well as feeding (hopefully every
2hrs).

She still has not defecated. This has me worried. I have done the
stimulation every time, and she urinates, just no feces.

Derek

Old September 24th 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Eva Quesnell

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006, Njwatcher wrote:

Gail wrote:
You are sooo wonderful to take care of this little kitten. Keep us posted.
Gail

As of the 5:00pm feed, I think she has become a little weaker (I hope I
am wrong). I will be feeding her again at 7, and then I am off to do
EMS for the evening (I volunteer every Sat night at the local 1st Aid
Squad). I am sure I will be brining a crew back to visit. My fiancé
will be medicating her tonight as well as feeding (hopefully every
2hrs).

She still has not defecated. This has me worried. I have done the
stimulation every time, and she urinates, just no feces.

Derek

Not defecating has me worried, too. Is her little tummy swollen? She
needs to get the toxins out of her system. How are you stimulating her to
poop? A little warm water on a tissue -- rubbing very gently should do
it. It may be explosive when it does happen since it's been a while now.
Do keep trying. You need to get that poop out of her. I know it's a
struggle. Keep trying. I admire your dedication and persistence.

Eva
Old September 24th 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Njwatcher

Not defecating has me worried, too. Is her little tummy swollen? She
needs to get the toxins out of her system. How are you stimulating her to
poop? A little warm water on a tissue -- rubbing very gently should do
it. It may be explosive when it does happen since it's been a while now.
Do keep trying. You need to get that poop out of her. I know it's a
struggle. Keep trying. I admire your dedication and persistence.

Eva
--411118345-1587461962-1159052899=:17789--

Nothing as of 9:53pm. Just tried warm water on a towel, same rubbing
style to get her to urinate. I am at a loss. People have said its
because she may have not gotten food, but at this point, she has gotten
formula for 24hrs+. Someone else said the formula leaves them
constipated- either way I am worried.

Derek