8/10/2012: Persia & the Prescription k/d

Old August 10th 12, 08:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default 8/10/2012: Persia & the Prescription k/d

On 8/10/2012 2:20 PM, Joy wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 8/10/2012 1:08 PM, mlbriggs wrote:
I'm going to give her half a can of Fancy Feast now that her tummy has
settled down. If that sits well, I'll give her the other half of the
can about an hour later. Just so she'll eat.

I'm waiting for a call back from the vet.

Purrs for Persia, please.

Jill

IMHO half a can is too much at once for an older cat. TuTu is 15
(could be more, but not less). I give her 1/4 can FF and mash it
several times with a fork so it is really soft. This she will eat.
I am also trying to vary the tastes of her meals. FF chic and tuna, FF
owhitefish ans Tuna then a snack of Meow Mix (cats ask for it by name.)

I have to disagree the amount. It's not like those cans are huge.
She's already eaten a can of it today (once just after I posted this and
the other half about an hour later) She's is now on her 2nd can. No
barfing, no problems. Even with her weight loss (she's 11 lbs.) she's not
a small cat. As long as she's not throwing it up, that's all I care about
at this point.

Jill

I'm with you, Jill.

Joy

She's had 1.5 cans of FF today so far, no throwing up. I'll give her
the other half can in a little while. That will make 2 cans of FF
today. As long as she's not throwing it up we're both happy.

She never did like Meow Mix, not even when she first came to live with
me in TN.

Jill
Old August 10th 12, 09:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

jmcquown wrote:

I'm still very concerned about Persia. If she "nibbles" at the k/d
formula she's okay. If she eats like a normal hungry cat, she throws it
up. It simply does not agree with her. (She doesn't have diarrhea
anymore, which is a good thing.)

At daybreak, just minutes after I heard her throwing up (again)I left a
message for the vet. (They open at 8AM). I know they're going to want
me to hospitalize her and do the sub-q fluid routine.

I've read up about sub-q fluids. It *is* possible it would make her
feel better. But what good does it do if I can't get her to eat actual
solid food? And as previously stated, she drinks a LOT of water. I
keep an eye on that, you bet.

I'm going to give her half a can of Fancy Feast now that her tummy has
settled down. If that sits well, I'll give her the other half of the
can about an hour later. Just so she'll eat.

I'm waiting for a call back from the vet. Frankly, I can't afford to
hospitalize her. If administering sub-q fluids is going to be a regular
thing, I don't have the funds to continue that indefinitely.

Jill - it really sounds like the prescription food doesn't agree with her.
Maybe she's allergic to something in it, who knows?

My ex and I had a cat with CRF for 5 years - ages 16-21. We never gave her
special prescription food. We did administer subq fluids, which helped so
much that I'm pretty much religious about it. This is something you can
do yourself, btw. You don't need to hospitalize her for that. She will
need something, especially as the disease progresses, to flush out her
system, since her kidneys are not doing such a good job of that anymore.

If it were me, I'd take her off the prescription food and just feed her
what she likes. As you say, eating is the most important thing. Quality
of life matters too - if the other stuff is making her sick every day,
that's not good quality living. Maybe the prescription food would lengthen
her life some. But if she's just going to be miserable, is that worth it?

--
Joyce

I've gone running from the devil
At times I've beaten down his path
Old August 10th 12, 10:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Bastette" wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Yes, that's the way I'd feel if it were my cat. I did give Skeeter subQ
fluids, and we managed just fine. However, some cats fight that, so it
depends on her. My daughter and her husband had to give it to one of their
cats, and it took two of them to do it. Again, my take is, if she'll let
you do it (and it's fairly inexpensive if you do it yourself), go for it.
If she fights it too much, that's also interfering with her quality of
living.

Whenever I have a difficult decision to make for one of my cats, I try to
think what I'd want for myself.

Joy

Old August 10th 12, 11:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

jmcquown wrote:
I'm still very concerned about Persia. If she "nibbles" at the k/d
formula she's okay. If she eats like a normal hungry cat, she throws it
up. It simply does not agree with her. (She doesn't have diarrhea
anymore, which is a good thing.)

At daybreak, just minutes after I heard her throwing up (again)I left a
message for the vet. (They open at 8AM). I know they're going to want me
to hospitalize her and do the sub-q fluid routine.

I've read up about sub-q fluids. It *is* possible it would make her feel
better. But what good does it do if I can't get her to eat actual solid
food? And as previously stated, she drinks a LOT of water. I keep an
eye on that, you bet.

I tried tempting her appetite with things suggested on the web site
[someone - Nadia? sorry if I forget] posted. A little milk. She loves
milk. Now she wants no part of it. Ditto a little plain scrambled egg
or other temptations.

I'm going to give her half a can of Fancy Feast now that her tummy has
settled down. If that sits well, I'll give her the other half of the can
about an hour later. Just so she'll eat.

I'm waiting for a call back from the vet. Frankly, I can't afford to
hospitalize her. If administering sub-q fluids is going to be a regular
thing, I don't have the funds to continue that indefinitely.

Persia is behaving normally otherwise. She doesn't seem distressed or in
pain. She snuggles with me, chatters at the birds, sleeps with me. She
still taps me on my nose to get my attention My poor kitty girl is just hungry.

Purrs for Persia, please.

Jill

Purrs on the way.
--
Adrian
Old August 11th 12, 02:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

On 8/10/2012 1:46 PM, jmcquown wrote:
On 8/10/2012 1:32 PM, MaryL wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Did you try any of the chicken "gel" that I described in an email?
That is
what worked for Amber. She would lose her appetite about every 6 weeks,
then that procedure would stimulate her appetite again. This worked for
about 3 years.

MaryL

Yes, I did try that (and the juice from water-packed canned tuna). It
doesn't make her want to eat it. It's the food itself that is making
her ill.

The vet's office called and her doctor is in surgery but they said she'd
call me this afternoon. Meanwhile, she ate Fancy Feast without throwing
up.

Jill

Barney is on Prescription Diet CD for his urinary problems (last year in
April he had an UTI... then on Thanksgiving weekend (when few vets in
our town were open) he had a urinary blockage, so we had to take him to
a 24-hour vet hospital in Indianapolis - he stayed there 2 nights and
cost us almost $3,000USD (he & Annie (the d-thing) are our most
expensive pets ever - Annie's cedar semi-privacy fence cost over
$3,000USD in materials alone, not including what we paid a friend to
help us dig the multitude of post-holes and put in the posts (he also
help us put up the rest of it, but that was the easy part), beating out
the 8 months of sub-Q treatments for Ivy (RB 2002) when she was in renal
failure, and Weeble's surgery to remove a fatty tumor from his left rear
leg)!

Barney did not like the Royal Canin prescription food (not widely
available here in Bloomington) that we got from the vet in Indy, and it
was canned... we tried the Prescription Diet CD canned, he didn't like
it either, but he (and the other cats, but it's too expensive to feed
ALL of them this food, they get a brand called Healthwise, made by the
makers of Innova & Evo http://www.naturapet.com/products/671)
LUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRV the dry version..... The bad thing is that
Science Diet *AND* Prescription Diet are made by the same company, which
I've noted uses grains (corn and/or wheat) as a filler... at least in
the dry, not sure about the canned :/

Perhaps Persia is allergic to one (or more) of the ingredients of the
prescription food? Tennessee Tuxedo (RB this year at age 18) would get
itchy and pull out patches of his fur if he ate food with corn in it...
Any canned food gives Ping diarrhea, but that's not an allergy, that's
just the "sudden-change-of-food" reaction.

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY