Tornado Safety purrs

Old March 31st 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Tornado Safety purrs

My greatest fear is tornados that strike in the night when I'm asleep, but I
am too tired to stay awake any longer tonight and don't want to sleep in the
dank basement which I have so far not had time to clean. Would appreciate
some purrs to keep me & the owners safe tonight.

Old March 31st 06, 05:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-30 20:59:43 -0600, "Pat" said:

My greatest fear is tornados that strike in the night when I'm asleep,
but I am too tired to stay awake any longer tonight and don't want to
sleep in the dank basement which I have so far not had time to clean.
Would appreciate some purrs to keep me & the owners safe tonight.

Been there done that. Night storms suck. Purrs.

Old March 31st 06, 05:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

If you leave your TV or radio on the emergency
warning should be loud enough to wake you up.

Old March 31st 06, 07:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pat wrote:
My greatest fear is tornados that strike in the night when I'm asleep, but I
am too tired to stay awake any longer tonight and don't want to sleep in the
dank basement which I have so far not had time to clean. Would appreciate
some purrs to keep me & the owners safe tonight.

Pat, youve just still got mobile home mentality about storms. If you
have a basement, you're really quite safe. Sometime you might get a
NOAA weather radio; the ones that wake you up when there are warnings
in your area.
I lived through and survived the F5 that hit Moore, OK in 1999. After
that, I wasn't afraid of storms anymore. I realize now, how you have to
be *in the path*; and even then, they are so hit-and-miss. Our house
was untouched, but the houses behind us were leveled. 3500 homes were
destroyed, yet the injury/mortality rate was amazingly low, and the
majority of those were folks caught out in their cars.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I used to think that if a
tornado came within a mile of me, I was going to die. That's just not
true. And warning systems are so good now, we have plenty of warning
time. I still respect the weather here, but I'm not afraid of it.

Sherry

Old March 31st 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote

Pat, youve just still got mobile home mentality about storms. If you
have a basement, you're really quite safe. Sometime you might get a
NOAA weather radio; the ones that wake you up when there are warnings
in your area.

I do want a weather radio. Ava has sirens, but I've heard them in the
daytime and I know I could easily sleep through their sound.

I lived through and survived the F5 that hit Moore, OK in 1999. After
that, I wasn't afraid of storms anymore. I realize now, how you have to
be *in the path*; and even then, they are so hit-and-miss. Our house
was untouched, but the houses behind us were leveled. 3500 homes were
destroyed, yet the injury/mortality rate was amazingly low, and the
majority of those were folks caught out in their cars.

The mere idea of being near an F5 is almost enough to scare me to death.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I used to think that if a
tornado came within a mile of me, I was going to die. That's just not
true. And warning systems are so good now, we have plenty of warning
time. I still respect the weather here, but I'm not afraid of it.

I could never live in Oklahoma. I'm too much of a wuss.

Old March 31st 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pat wrote:
My greatest fear is tornados that strike in the night when I'm
asleep, but I am too tired to stay awake any longer tonight and don't
want to sleep in the dank basement which I have so far not had time
to clean. Would appreciate some purrs to keep me & the owners safe
tonight.

Stay safe purrs on the way.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old March 31st 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 20:59:43 -0600, "Pat"
wrote:

My greatest fear is tornados that strike in the night when I'm asleep, but I
am too tired to stay awake any longer tonight and don't want to sleep in the
dank basement which I have so far not had time to clean. Would appreciate
some purrs to keep me & the owners safe tonight.

Pat, from one resident of "tornado alley" (albeit the eastern fringes)
to one in the middle of things - get a weather radio! You should look
for the kind that goes off like an alarm clock if there are
weather-related warnings in your area. Put it at your bedside, turn
the volume up, and you'll most certainly wake up!

(I once had one that would play the weather stations, but didn't have
an alarm function)

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

============
http://www.jhedge.com
Old March 31st 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:

My greatest fear is tornados that strike in the night when I'm
asleep, but I am too tired to stay awake any longer tonight and
don't want to sleep in the dank basement which I have so far not had
time to clean. Would appreciate some purrs to keep me & the owners
safe tonight.

Pat, from one resident of "tornado alley" (albeit the eastern fringes)
to one in the middle of things - get a weather radio! You should look
for the kind that goes off like an alarm clock if there are
weather-related warnings in your area. Put it at your bedside, turn
the volume up, and you'll most certainly wake up!

(I once had one that would play the weather stations, but didn't have
an alarm function)

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

============
http://www.jhedge.com

We had one of those, but had to toss it as it kept going off for the
simplest of *thunderstorms*, and we couldn't figure out how to change the
settings! Talk about annoying!

Old March 31st 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 30 Mar 2006 22:27:58 -0800, wrote:

Pat wrote:
My greatest fear is tornados that strike in the night when I'm asleep, but I
am too tired to stay awake any longer tonight and don't want to sleep in the
dank basement which I have so far not had time to clean. Would appreciate
some purrs to keep me & the owners safe tonight.

Pat, youve just still got mobile home mentality about storms. If you
have a basement, you're really quite safe. Sometime you might get a
NOAA weather radio; the ones that wake you up when there are warnings
in your area.

We don't have a basement, so we go to interior hallways when a tornado
warning happens(1). I understand that interior hallways are now 2nd
choice over bathrooms, because bathrooms these days tend to be on an
outside wall.

(1) when we're not doing something really stupid, like standing
outside trying to spot one, or, even worse, jumping in the car to go
*find* one...

I lived through and survived the F5 that hit Moore, OK in 1999. After
that, I wasn't afraid of storms anymore. I realize now, how you have to
be *in the path*; and even then, they are so hit-and-miss. Our house
was untouched, but the houses behind us were leveled. 3500 homes were
destroyed, yet the injury/mortality rate was amazingly low, and the
majority of those were folks caught out in their cars.

Now *that* must hae been an "interesting" day... The Learning Channel
used to have a show where they'd ride around with EMTs and Paramedics
(kind of like "Cops"). They happened to be filming in OKC when all
that went down, and it made for really wild and scary programming.

I lived through the April 3, 1974 outbreak through Illinois, Indiana,
Kentucky and Ohio. Spent most of that day in an interior closet with a
school friend I'd gone to visit and her family and pets. On April 4 we
went to a neighboring town that had been hit to help out some friends
(got through the roadblocks because dad was a state trooper at the
time and we were in his patrol car). It was as you describe - the
houses on all 4 sides of our friends' house were damaged or
demolished, but the extent of the damage to their house was a bent TV
ariel. And a block away, it looked like absolutely nothing had
happened at all.

I saw a show about the OKC tornado just recently, and the current
thinking based on paths of destruction on the ground (they don't have
good photographic evidence yet) is that the hit-and-miss damage from
the big twisters is because the 1 big twister is really multiple small
twisters rotating around each other. So the neighbors' houses get hit
but yours in the middle gets missed.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I used to think that if a
tornado came within a mile of me, I was going to die. That's just not
true. And warning systems are so good now, we have plenty of warning
time. I still respect the weather here, but I'm not afraid of it.

Definitely! Pay attention to the weather alerts, but don't let them
rule your life (within reason) On April 3, while I was taking cover
at my friend's house, my parents didn't have a clue that anything
unusual was going on! (they were on the other side of town, but the
town just isn't that big!)

Old March 31st 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pat wrote:
My greatest fear is tornados that strike in the night when I'm
asleep, but I am too tired to stay awake any longer tonight and
don't want to sleep in the dank basement which I have so far not
had time to clean. Would appreciate some purrs to keep me & the
owners safe tonight.

Pat, youve just still got mobile home mentality about storms. If you
have a basement, you're really quite safe. Sometime you might get a
NOAA weather radio; the ones that wake you up when there are warnings
in your area.

Definitely! Pay attention to the weather alerts, but don't let them
rule your life (within reason) On April 3, while I was taking cover
at my friend's house, my parents didn't have a clue that anything
unusual was going on! (they were on the other side of town, but the
town just isn't that big!)

When I was about 15 a girlfriend was spending the night. As teens will do,
we stayed up most of the night talking. I was sleeping on the floor; my
friend was in my bed. Sometime around 5AM my mom came into the room saying,
"Jill! You guys, get up, there's a tornado coming! You have to come with
us into the bathroom!" (It was an interior bathroom, dead center in the
house) Mom must have been very frustrated, not to mention scared, because
she couldn't rouse us. Finally she said, "Well at least get Libby down on
the floor with you!" I remember mumbling, "Libby, get down on the floor"
and as an afterthought, "bring your pillow."

When we got up later that morning we found the tornado had cut a swath down
a hillside less than 2 blocks from our house. Luckily it missed any homes
and only touched down briefly, but she and I didn't hear a thing.

Jill