Wanted: Cat-Proof safe

Old October 27th 09, 04:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

Default Wanted: Cat-Proof safe

I've been trying to coax Cinnamon out of her shyness by feeding her cat
treats (and Sam gets some too, though he certainly is not shy). I bought
a new, big bag of treats, since I was going through so many. It was a
very solid foil/plasticized self-closing bag. Someone has chewed a large
hole in the bottom of the bag, and quite a lot of the contents are missing.

These are not cats who are starving and forced to these methods to get a
bite to eat, I assure you!

At the moment, I have the remnants in a hard plastic container, although
I've known cats to open some types of plastic containers too. And I
don't want to use my microwave for cat-treat-storage.

Maybe a nice solid steel safe would work.....

--
Cheryl
Old October 27th 09, 04:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane

On Oct 27, 12:31*pm, Cheryl wrote:
I've been trying to coax Cinnamon out of her shyness by feeding her cat
treats (and Sam gets some too, though he certainly is not shy). I bought
a new, big bag of treats, since I was going through so many. It was a
very solid foil/plasticized self-closing bag. Someone has chewed a large
hole in the bottom of the bag, and quite a lot of the contents are missing.

These are not cats who are starving and forced to these methods to get a
bite to eat, I assure you!

At the moment, I have the remnants in a hard plastic container, although
I've known cats to open some types of plastic containers too. And I
don't want to use my microwave for cat-treat-storage.

Maybe a nice solid steel safe would work.....

--
Cheryl

Maybe get one of those metal cash boxes with a key lock.
But don't lose the key!

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita
Old October 27th 09, 05:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Cheryl" wrote in message
I've been trying to coax Cinnamon out of her shyness by feeding
her cat treats (and Sam gets some too, though he certainly is not
shy). I bought a new, big bag of treats, since I was going through
so many. It was a very solid foil/plasticized self-closing bag.
Someone has chewed a large hole in the bottom of the bag, and
quite a lot of the contents are missing.

These are not cats who are starving and forced to these methods to
get a bite to eat, I assure you!

At the moment, I have the remnants in a hard plastic container,
although I've known cats to open some types of plastic containers
too. And I don't want to use my microwave for cat-treat-storage.

Maybe a nice solid steel safe would work.....

--
Cheryl

I'd suggest a tin can. The kind cookies come in at Christmas time.

We have an over eager neighborhood cat. I really don't think he's
homeless, just pushy. But a recent bag of cat food in the garage
had a fairly neat cat head shaped hole chewed and pushed into the
side. We put food out, and its usually available, but I guess he
wasn't satisfied with the selection.

My next planned 'when I get around to it' purchase will be a bread
box to go on the kitchen counter. As a place to round up all the
bags of treats etc the 'kids' seem to accumulate.

Jo

Old October 27th 09, 05:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Oct 27, 10:31*am, Cheryl wrote:
I've been trying to coax Cinnamon out of her shyness by feeding her cat
treats (and Sam gets some too, though he certainly is not shy). I bought
a new, big bag of treats, since I was going through so many. It was a
very solid foil/plasticized self-closing bag. Someone has chewed a large
hole in the bottom of the bag, and quite a lot of the contents are missing.

These are not cats who are starving and forced to these methods to get a
bite to eat, I assure you!

At the moment, I have the remnants in a hard plastic container, although
I've known cats to open some types of plastic containers too. And I
don't want to use my microwave for cat-treat-storage.

Maybe a nice solid steel safe would work.....

--
Cheryl

We've taken to putting the 'treats' bags into the cupboard (and have
child safety latches on the cupboard doors.

None of my kitties is "hungry", they always have food, but when there
is something special (like say the Meow Mix cat food for the
outsiders), Leonidas rips a hole in the bottom of the bag. Now we
store the extra Meow Mix bags in a very large, heavy plastic box.
They can't open that, though His Lordship has tried.

So far, that's worked, though I suspect that His Lordship is close to
figuring out the safety latches. He watches *very* closely when I
open the cupboard.
Old October 27th 09, 05:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 10:39:49 -0700, Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:

On Oct 27, 10:31Â*am, Cheryl wrote:
[...]

Just think of all of the trouble that you would have to go through if you
had a pet monkey. At least cats don't have hands!

--
John F. Eldredge --
Old October 27th 09, 06:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

John F. Eldredge wrote:
[...]

Years ago I read a fantasy novel in which some magician rather lacking
in foresight thought how convenient it would be for a cat to have hands,
and created one. I don't remember much more about the book, except for a
vague impression of long dangerous journeys, but I seem to recall that
the cat-with-hands was a real nuisance.

--
Cheryl
Old October 27th 09, 08:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmmee

well i guess chester has been to visit your house, his motto is all found
food is better, Lee

--
Have a great day

Old October 27th 09, 08:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmmee

i have one of the old fashioned bread boxes with the front like a roll top
desk... it is NOT safe for treats, Lee

--
Have a great day

Old October 27th 09, 08:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 15:44:40 -0230, Cheryl wrote:

John F. Eldredge wrote:
[...]

If you are thinking of _Fire in the Mist_, if I recall correctly, once
the cat had hands, he soon developed a fascination with matches and
became a fire hazard. (No, the title didn't refer to the cat).

--
John F. Eldredge --
Old October 27th 09, 09:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Baird Stafford

In article ,
Cheryl wrote:

snip

Maybe a nice solid steel safe would work.....

Or large glass jars with screw-on lids, kept back from the edge of the
shelf.

Baird

--
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice
there is. -Yogi Berra