HELP!! - old male is mounting my new female cat

Old November 10th 09, 07:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene

Default HELP!! - old male is mounting my new female cat

"YvonneD" wrote in message

Brevity snip.

What should I do?

NOTHING! She'll let him know when she's had enough of his nonsense. ;-)

Old November 11th 09, 07:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, MaryL exclaimed (11/9/2009 11:41 PM):

"YvonneD" wrote in message

What should I do?

*Don't* take her back. They sound like a great pair who are already
bonded with each other. Just calm down, follow your vet's advice, and
let them handle this themselves. You are worrying without cause. And
*do not* spray your male cat with water. That is cruel and
unproductive. He is simply doing what comes naturally, and he will not
understand why you are trying to punish him. You are more likely to
teach him to fear and distrust you than to get the results you want.
Also: It hasn't been all that long since the little female was spayed.
She may still have some hormones that are acting as an attractant, but
that should diminish with time. You should discuss this with your vet
if you continue to see signs of sexual behavior. It is possible for a
vet to miss part of the uterus, but that can be remedied.

MaryL

It's also possible for him to miss part of the testicles... though if he
was not neutered properly, I'd have thought you'd see other male
behaviors in the years you've had him - spraying, etc.

I agree with the general consensus though - they need to work this out
between them, but if she says "STOP" and he's persistent, get them both
checked to see if one or the other wasn't neutered properly.

jmc
Old November 15th 09, 11:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
phineasboggs

I think it's great! And I think the vet is right. Let it play itself
out. She can take care of it herself without human intervention.

Although it seems to be more of a dominance theme, suppose it wasn't?
What's the problem?

Are you upset that he didn't buy her dinner first? Are you worried
about what your friends will say about the immoral cats? Worried
she'll get pregnant and won't get into the school of her choice?
Concerned that someone will write mean things about her on "My Space?"

My daughter weighs 1/3 her husband's weight, and, um, they seem to
survive g

Heck, if these two cool cats can get hot and get it on, let them have
their fun!
Old November 15th 09, 02:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lesley

On 9 Nov, 17:16, YvonneD wrote:

The vet said that he is trying to assert his dominance and I should
just let it play out - that she will give him a swat if she wants him
off.

This is about dominance it has nothing to do with sex-he's showing her
he was here first and therefore he is the boss and the fact she's
taking it means she's accepting this. He's literally saying "I'm on
top". When she feels more settled (she's only been with you a few days
remember after 5 months in a cage) she may give him a swat if she
wants to but all their other behaviour suggests they are both happy
with each other - for them to be friendly within 6 days is good going
sometimes getting a new cat to adapt to another one can take
considerably longer.

I have 2 sisters and occasionally after a scrap the winner
has ,mounted the loser even through both are spayed. My previous pair
of spayed sisters also did it

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs