HELP!! - old male is mounting my new female cat

Old November 10th 09, 01:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
YvonneD

Default HELP!! - old male is mounting my new female cat

I have a nine year old male. He was fixed when he was less than a
year old and has not met another cat until this week (he's always been
indoors).

Six days ago I adopted a two year old female. She'd had a litter in
July and was spayed in September. I introduced the two of them
gradually and as of yesterday they were getting along great. They
slept together and ate together. She loves him, rubbing against him
and giving him head butts, and he seemed to like her as well. He is a
VERY laid back and gentle cat.

Tonight he tried to mount her. I had noticed in the past few days
that every once in a while he would try to grab the back of her neck,
but she would run off or I would tell him to stop. Tonight he was
serious. I couldn't keep him away from her. I had to lock him up.
When I let him out he went back for more. I sprayed him with water
(now he's mad at me).

What should I do? I really don't care except I'm afraid he will hurt
her. He weighs 14 lbs and she weighs 7. On the plus side, he has
chronic gingivitis and cannot chew hard food, so I'm guessing he can't
really bite very hard.

The vet said that he is trying to assert his dominance and I should
just let it play out - that she will give him a swat if she wants him
off.

Does that sound OK? He has no claws (got him that way), and she does,
so I suppose she should be able to handle him if he was really hurting
her?

God, I sound like an idiot I know. I've never had more than one cat.
I want this to work out so badly. She came from the MSPCA where she
spent 5 months cowering in the corner of a cage. I was so thrilled
when she became happy and playful. It would kill me if I had to bring
her back.

What should I do?
Old November 10th 09, 01:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

"YvonneD" wrote in message
[...]

Calm down your vet had it right She will show him who's boss if she
chooses ;-)

Old November 10th 09, 04:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Matthew" wrote
What should I do?

Calm down your vet had it right She will show him who's boss if she
chooses ;-)

I agree. And bless you for taking this girl. She sounds lovely. Rest
assured, she can kick grandpa's ass if need be.

Old November 10th 09, 04:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"YvonneD" wrote in message
[...]

*Don't* take her back. They sound like a great pair who are already bonded
with each other. Just calm down, follow your vet's advice, and let them
handle this themselves. You are worrying without cause. And *do not* spray
your male cat with water. That is cruel and unproductive. He is simply
doing what comes naturally, and he will not understand why you are trying to
punish him. You are more likely to teach him to fear and distrust you than
to get the results you want. Also: It hasn't been all that long since the
little female was spayed. She may still have some hormones that are acting
as an attractant, but that should diminish with time. You should discuss
this with your vet if you continue to see signs of sexual behavior. It is
possible for a vet to miss part of the uterus, but that can be remedied.

MaryL

Old November 10th 09, 04:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote
*Don't* take her back. They sound like a great pair who are already
bonded with each other.

I was thinking the same thing. How lucky she is, to have to adult unrelated
cats that will play and sleep together and interact. I thought you had to
have siblings for them to do that.

Also: It hasn't been all that long since the
little female was spayed. She may still have some hormones that are
acting as an attractant, but that should diminish with time.

I was thinking this too. I want to see pictures of them!

Old November 10th 09, 01:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kathy

cybercat wrote:
"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote
*Don't* take her back. They sound like a great pair who are already
bonded with each other.

I was thinking the same thing. How lucky she is, to have to adult unrelated
cats that will play and sleep together and interact. I thought you had to
have siblings for them to do that.

Siblings don't always get along either. My daughter has 2 brothers she
adopted at 6 weeks. They're 7 years old now (both spayed) and lately
they frequently fight. She's at her wits' end. She comes home from
work (that's why she got 2 - she's at work all day) and finds one with a
bloody ear and the other with a bloody chin. She hates to, but she's
going to have to start separating them during the day when she's away.
Should she shut both of them into separate bedrooms or just one to keep
them apart? If just one, should she alternate who gets locked up for
the day?

Kathy

Old November 10th 09, 01:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
YvonneD

On Nov 9, 11:41*pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
"YvonneD" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks. I already put the spray bottle away. It took me over an hour
to get him to forgive me. I won't do that again. They, however, are
doing "that" again right now.
Old November 10th 09, 06:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Kathy" wrote

She hates to, but she's going to have to start separating them during the
day when she's away. Should she shut both of them into separate bedrooms or
just one to keep them apart? If just one, should she alternate who gets
locked up for the day?

That sounds fair. I did not know this about siblings, thanks for letting me
know. I thought they always got along.

Old November 10th 09, 06:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"YvonneD" wrote

Thanks. I already put the spray bottle away. It took me over an hour
to get him to forgive me. I won't do that again. They, however, are
doing "that" again right now.

Good call on the squirt bottle. Cats have effective ways of getting even
with you, if you continue stuff they hate. Like pooping in the middle of
your bed. Ask your vet if this behavior can hurt her. I have no idea--it
seems like if they are both "fixed" they should not be able to actually have
intercourse. If they can ... well, it is what those parts are made for. But
do ask your vet. I think the big issue here is, are you the only one it is
bothering?

Old November 10th 09, 06:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

wrote:
"YvonneD" wrote in message

[...]

The good news is that you won't be getting any more cats out of the
deal.