Suggestions?

Old February 4th 09, 01:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default Suggestions?

I can think of several things I should have done, and if I could do it over
again, I would do them. However, I can't. What I need to know is what I
can do now.

I've mentioned that I brought Waffles and Pickles home after a long, hard
chase getting them in the carrier. Naturally they were freaked out.

They seemed to be doing just fine, cuddling together in the corner of my
living room. They even came out and wandered around the room some, while I
was in the room and Lindy was in the house.

I thought it would be safe to leave my bedroom door open, so I did. I hate
to keep Lindy cooped up, especially when she's had two large cats inflicted
on her. Sometime during the night I was wakened by loud hissing and some
scrambling. The displacement of my shoes on the floor showed that there was
a minor scuffle. I haven't seen Waffles since then. Poor Pickles is
huddled in her corner, all alone. I know cats can hide in places you think
they can't get, and I sincerely hope he's hiding somewhere in the house.

However, I do have a cat door, and, although he'd never seen one before, it
is conceivable that he might have gone out through it. He could be hiding
in the garage. There are lots of boxes and things he could be hiding
behind.

I have a number of concerns. To the best of my knowledge, neither of them
has gone near their food and water dishes during the day. The litter box
hasn't been used since I cleaned it yesterday morning. I was told they had
had their shots, but now I find out they haven't seen a vet since they were
kittens. They are now three years old. They were microchipped as kittens,
but the chip would have contact information for the original owner, and I
think he has moved twice (at least) since the chipping.

I would close the door from the garage into the back yard if I were sure he
hadn't already gone out that door, but in case he did and he finds his way
back, I don't want to do that.

There is a litter box in the garage (which hasn't been used). I put some
food and water out there.

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what I might do now?

--

Joy

There is something about the presence of a cat... that seems to take the
bite out of being alone. - Louis J. Camuti

Old February 4th 09, 02:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

Joy wrote:

I have a number of concerns. To the best of my knowledge, neither of them
has gone near their food and water dishes during the day. The litter box
hasn't been used since I cleaned it yesterday morning. I was told they had
had their shots, but now I find out they haven't seen a vet since they were
kittens. They are now three years old. They were microchipped as kittens,
but the chip would have contact information for the original owner, and I
think he has moved twice (at least) since the chipping.

I would close the door from the garage into the back yard if I were sure he
hadn't already gone out that door, but in case he did and he finds his way
back, I don't want to do that.

There is a litter box in the garage (which hasn't been used). I put some
food and water out there.

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what I might do now?

No suggestions, just lots of gentle homing thoughts and owner purrs that
everyone is all right and they all learn to get together.

Pam S.
Old February 4th 09, 03:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Joy" wrote in message
[...]

Just a couple of ideas. Probably not great ones.

First off, give yourself a break. It sounds as if a lot of the
problems are due to you being sold a 'bill of goods' by someone
anxious to get rid of the cats. That could happen to most of us.

Worst case, Waffles is outside. (You really don't know he's never
seen a cat door) Can you put Pickles out in the garage in a crate to
possibly lure Waffles to come back? Sounds like they are very
attached to each other. Not permanently of course but maybe for a
while during the day when its not too cold?

Pickles might well appreciate a crate to hide out in anyway for a
while. Security in a confined space, etc.

If you take Pickles to the vet, you could get her chip read and find
out what brand it is and if it is registered and to whom. That could
get you the chip information on Waffles.

For now, I'd keep Lindy in your room. And be putting out some fairly
stinky and tempting gooshy food for Pickles and hopefully for Waffles.

If you don't see Waffles by tomorrow its time to at least contact the
neighbors.

BTW, the world wide purr machine will be working overtime. Its
surprising how good a job they often do.

GYFBH purrs might not be right since Waffles doesn't know where home
is. But some message to come to Pickles.

Jo

Old February 4th 09, 06:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Charleen Welton

Purrs that Waffles pops up soon and that you and the cats are all
comfortable again.
Charleen

Old February 4th 09, 07:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default Suggestions? - UPDATE

A lot has happened since I posted my request. I was fixing my dinner when I
heard Lindy's 'intruder' meow and another cat voice in the garage. Sure
enough, Waffles was in the garage. I shut the door into the back yard, so
he couldn't go anywhere except in the house, left the house door open and
started searching. He ran into the house, but Lindy chased him out again.
I caught Lindy and shut her in my bedroom. Then I looked some more, but
didn't find him. I decided not to worry about it for the time being,
because he couldn't get away.

Unfortunately, I had to go to a church meeting later. I tried leaving the
house door open and starting the car before opening the big garage door,
hoping he'd run into the house, but it didn't work. I had to leave, because
I'm Chair of the committee. I shut and locked the house door, and when I
opened the big door, he ran out. I backed out, then tried looking and
calling, but no luck. I left the door up about a foot, hoping he'd take
refuge in the garage.

There was no sign of him when I got home from the meeting, but I left the
door up again. My daughter called, and I told her my dilemma. I was
particularly worried because Pickles was still in her corner and hadn't used
the cat box in at least 36 hours. I don't know whether she had eaten
anything. My daughter suggested I put the food very close to where she was,
so that maybe she'd at least eat a little. I was going to watch a TV show,
so I did as my daughter suggested, and sat down in the recliner to watch the
show. Almost immediately, Pickles came out from behind the chair. She came
up to me and, after sniffing my hand, she let me pet her. As I continued to
pet her, every so often she'd shove her head up against my hand. This went
on for quite a while, then she laid down on a folded blanket I keep on the
floor near my chair for cats to lie on. She stayed there until I started to
get up from my chair. She started to run, then went over to the sliding
glass door and stuck her head between the drapes and looked out.
Eventually, she sat down there.

I went to bed feeling much reassured about her. I'd been afraid that if
Waffles didn't come back, she'd just pine away. Now I think she'll be okay
no matter what.

After I went to bed and turned out the light, I realized I had left the hall
light on. I had also forgotten my neck pillow, which I sometimes use at
night, because I have neck problems. It was really hurting, so I got up,
went to the kitchen and took something for the pain, then went into the
living room for the pillow. Pickles came running to me, so I sat down in
the Dacie chair to pet her. She kept ramming her head against my hand, and
a few times even did the meerkat thing. She rolled over briefly for me to
rub her tummy, which I had been told she loves. I even tried the toy on a
string thing and she played a little. I was exhausted, but very happy about
her by the time I went to bed.

Lindy woke me up at least once an hour, complaining about being shut up in
my room. I am so tired today it's no joke.

Once during the night I heard a couple of thumps and thought maybe Waffles
was trying to get in the cat door, which I had locked so Pickles wouldn't go
out too. I got up and opened the back door, and there was no sign of him.
I opened the front door too, but didn't see him.

This morning there was no sign of Pickles. I looked everywhere I thought
she might be and didn't find her. I checked, and the cat door was still
locked, so I knew she had to be in the house someplace.

I went out looking for Waffles and didn't find him. Some of the food I had
left in the garage was eaten, but I can't be sure he's the one who ate it.

Just now, while I was writing this (about 11:15), I heard a faint meowing
and Pickles came out from behind some boxes under my printer. She came
close enough to sniff my hand, but acted scared of me and left the room.
She wandered around meowing. I think she was calling Waffles. I went out
to check on her, and she came up to me. She followed me back into my
office, and I sat down. She did the head rubbing and meerkat thing again
for quite a while. She's gone into the other room now.

I feel about 115 this morning. I have another church meeting tonight. I
hope it rains tomorrow evening. I told my Toastmasters club I wouldn't come
if it rains, because I don't see well enough to drive in the rain after
dark.

Joy

Old February 4th 09, 07:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"tanadashoes" wrote in message
m...
Joy wrote:

[...]

Thank you, Pam. See my update for some hopeful news.

Joy

Old February 4th 09, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Jofirey" wrote in message

Just a couple of ideas. Probably not great ones.

First off, give yourself a break. It sounds as if a lot of the problems
are due to you being sold a 'bill of goods' by someone anxious to get rid
of the cats. That could happen to most of us.

Thank you. I think you're right. I was really beating myself up. I made
some mistakes, but it wasn't all my fault.

Worst case, Waffles is outside. (You really don't know he's never seen a
cat door) Can you put Pickles out in the garage in a crate to possibly
lure Waffles to come back? Sounds like they are very attached to each
other. Not permanently of course but maybe for a while during the day
when its not too cold?

See my update. I've finally started to earn her trust, so I don't want to
freak her out.

Pickles might well appreciate a crate to hide out in anyway for a while.
Security in a confined space, etc.

I had thought of that, so I left the crate in the living room, with the door
open, so they could take refuge in it if they wanted to. Finally,
yesterday, I realized they might see it as a threat, since that's what they
were stuffed into when I brought them here, so I put it in another room.

If you take Pickles to the vet, you could get her chip read and find out
what brand it is and if it is registered and to whom. That could get you
the chip information on Waffles.

That's a good thought. I might try that Friday. I have another meeting
tonight, I'm meeting some friends for lunch tomorrow, and I have a
Toastmasters meeting tomorrow evening, unless it rains. I think that's
about all the going I can handle for a couple of days, and maybe by Friday
she'll have learned to trust me enough that the vet visit won't totally
destroy that trust.

For now, I'd keep Lindy in your room. And be putting out some fairly
stinky and tempting gooshy food for Pickles and hopefully for Waffles.

I am keeping Lindy in my room, and she is *not* happy about it. They only
eat dry food. There is some out in the dish they're used to in the house,
and I put a small dish of it in the garage.

If you don't see Waffles by tomorrow its time to at least contact the
neighbors.

Yes, I'm going to crop one of the pictures I took and go around knocking on
doors in a little while.

BTW, the world wide purr machine will be working overtime. Its surprising
how good a job they often do.

Thank you. I appreciate it and I'm counting on it.

GYFBH purrs might not be right since Waffles doesn't know where home is.
But some message to come to Pickles.

Thanks, Jo.

Joy

Old February 4th 09, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Thank you. Pickles is settling in. Waffles is out somewhere. I hope she
finds her way back and settles.

--

Joy

There is something about the presence of a cat... that seems to take the
bite out of being alone. - Louis J. Camuti

g.com...

Old February 4th 09, 10:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

Joy wrote:
A lot has happened since I posted my request.

Just now, while I was writing this (about 11:15), I heard a faint meowing
and Pickles came out from behind some boxes under my printer. She came
close enough to sniff my hand, but acted scared of me and left the room.
She wandered around meowing. I think she was calling Waffles. I went out
to check on her, and she came up to me. She followed me back into my
office, and I sat down. She did the head rubbing and meerkat thing again
for quite a while. She's gone into the other room now.

I feel about 115 this morning. I have another church meeting tonight. I
hope it rains tomorrow evening. I told my Toastmasters club I wouldn't come
if it rains, because I don't see well enough to drive in the rain after
dark.

Joy

Purrs and good homing thoughts still being sent out from here.
Girlfriend, it will all work out in the long run. Honest.

Pam S.
Old February 5th 09, 01:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Joy" wrote in message
[...]

First of all, I like Jo's ideas and advice. Unless you live right
smack on a busy
street,worrying about Waffles is a stress-maker to your peace of mind,
and
you can capture her at the best opportunity, and keeping the two
together
seems to be a good option.
I think maybe if they had any deadly diseases....they'd be at RB after
3 years,
but I could be wrong.
I have posted this before but to repeat: when I took my huge male
tabby with
blind left eye home from the medical office where his bimbo owner was
trying
to foist him off on the patients (she was the receptionist there) as
they came
and went *for three days*! because she had a new BF with 3 Rotties,
and my
mammo tech friend called me and begged me to give him a forever home,
as
bimbo's stated announcement was that his next stop was the humane
society
shelter, and who would adopt a blind bad-tempered big cat like
him...he had had
such a horrible kittenhood (thrown from moving car to Interstate
island divider,
knocking left eye from socket) to now the ousting from his 1 1/2-year
home
with bimbo to a small carrier in a bad-smelling medical office....to
my house:
I had to keep his butt in my large utility/laundry room behind the
garage for
a *month* as he was very angry and large enough to be a physical
threat to
my peaceful pussycats/neutered males in residence already. He did
mellow
though, and patience and pets work wonders, you'll see. At least your
girls
are not laden with bad 'tudes, like he was. Take heart; they seem
already to
know their new home is with you. The Akita, who was alive and aging
then,
also accepted His Nastiness as another of his small burry bosses,
which
I had not even worried about; it was true what the vet said when I
brought
the puppy in years ago: as he grew up with the mature cats, there was
no
doubt in his mind who was running things there...and it wasn't me.

***

Thanks, Hopitus. I think Pickles knows this is her new home. I don't think
Waffles does. He's out there somewhere. I'm keeping the garage door open
about a foot, so he can get into it if he wants, and I leave food and water
in the garage. Somebody's been eating and drinking, but it may or may not
be him. I asked several neighbors today, and two of them thought they saw
him yesterday evening, but nobody had seen him today. I'm going to try not
to stress out about him, but the only "outside" he's been in the past was on
a balcony. He may not know about cars. The good news about that is that we
don't have heavy traffic, and the street is only a block long, though it is
a long block. The bad news is that I'm just one short block away from a
busier street, although it is still in a 25 mph zone and has speed bumps.

Joy