PLEASE HELP! Fleas, fleas, FLEAS!

Old January 10th 07, 02:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
EADGBE

Default PLEASE HELP! Fleas, fleas, FLEAS!

We have five cats. Because of this unusually warm winter, our flea
problem has gotten completely out of hand.

We are not millionaires, and we can't afford the prescription flea
treatments like Frontline or Evolution even though we know they work.

My question is this: Do ANY of the cheaper non-prescription treatments
like Zodiac, Sentry, etc. work at all? Are they worth the savings? Or
should we just save our pennies and get the prescription stuff?

PLEASE HELP! We're scratching almost as much as our cats are!

Old January 10th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

"EADGBE" wrote in message
ps.com...
We have five cats. Because of this unusually warm winter, our flea
problem has gotten completely out of hand.

We are not millionaires, and we can't afford the prescription flea
treatments like Frontline or Evolution even though we know they work.

My question is this: Do ANY of the cheaper non-prescription treatments
like Zodiac, Sentry, etc. work at all? Are they worth the savings? Or
should we just save our pennies and get the prescription stuff?

PLEASE HELP! We're scratching almost as much as our cats are!

Save your pennies some of the cheaper ones can actually harm the furballs
I use advantage and the cost is not that much. I live in Florida where the
humidity and climate breeds fleas like crazy. I have six cats and no fleas

Old January 10th 07, 09:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

If you've got fleas in the house, buy a container of "Fleabusters"
powder. You need to get them out of the carpets or flooring in your
home. A jar of powder costs about 22.95. There's not much you can do
about about the cost of Frontline/Advantage/Revolution. The cheaper
products are not just ineffective - they can really be harmful. If you
buy online at drsfostersmith.com - you can get a Frontline sixpack for
about $45 plus shipping.

Old January 10th 07, 03:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bobblespin

"EADGBE" wrote in news:1168392367.864345.7140
@i39g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

We have five cats. Because of this unusually warm winter, our flea
problem has gotten completely out of hand.

We are not millionaires, and we can't afford the prescription flea
treatments like Frontline or Evolution even though we know they work.

My question is this: Do ANY of the cheaper non-prescription treatments
like Zodiac, Sentry, etc. work at all? Are they worth the savings? Or
should we just save our pennies and get the prescription stuff?

PLEASE HELP! We're scratching almost as much as our cats are!

In the long run you'll save money if you buy something that works in the
first place, instead of spending money on this and that which won't work,
and in the end you'll have to buy the stuff that works anyway.

Bobble
--
Have you hugged your cat today?

Sonny's web page -- http://web.ncf.ca/ai151/index2.html
Old January 10th 07, 05:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

We are not millionaires, and we can't afford the prescription flea
treatments like Frontline or Evolution even though we know they work.

Unfortunately, you're going to end up spending more money if you get
the cheaper stuff
1. you'll use it more frequently
2. it just isn't as effective so you'll end up spending money on flea
bombs
3. in a worst case scenario, one of your cats will react to the cheap
stuff and you'll end up with a vet bill.

Frontline is worth the money in the long run.

Old January 10th 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bryan S.

[ )]
[10 Jan 2007 08:09:52 -0800]

We are not millionaires, and we can't afford the prescription flea
treatments like Frontline or Evolution even though we know they work.

Unfortunately, you're going to end up spending more money if you get
the cheaper stuff
1. you'll use it more frequently
2. it just isn't as effective so you'll end up spending money on flea
bombs
3. in a worst case scenario, one of your cats will react to the cheap
stuff and you'll end up with a vet bill.

Frontline is worth the money in the long run.

Frontline is also just not that expensive.

Pet ownership isn't a fundamental right.. it's a luxury and a
responsibility. If proper care cannot be provided, the animal shouldn't
have been obtained in the first place. (Sorry to be so blunt, but it's
absolutely true.) Suppose an expensive vet bill arose? Broken leg,
etc?

--
Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...

....under the watchful eyes of Her Majesty, Trouble (grey American
Shorthair)
Old January 10th 07, 11:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Frontline is worth the money in the long run.

Frontline is also just not that expensive.

Pet ownership isn't a fundamental right.. it's a luxury and a
responsibility. If proper care cannot be provided, the animal shouldn't
have been obtained in the first place. (Sorry to be so blunt, but it's
absolutely true.) Suppose an expensive vet bill arose? Broken leg,
etc?

--
Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...

...under the watchful eyes of Her Majesty, Trouble (grey American
Shorthair)

I am afraid that I am going to give you similar advice too.No one is
trying to be horrible here.I think it is more a case of being
forthright & truthful.

I have been where you are now, & learnt the hard way that cheap fixes
don't work!You end up wasteing a whole lot of money that could have
gone a long way treating them with a treatment that does work.

I do understand your dilema.

Put up with the problem an extra week if you have to.....
But far better, try and cut something else out this week & put it
towards your cat's treatment, & go the whole hog & get them
frontlined.You will feel so much better knowing that you have sorted
the problem, & you will be able to cuddle your cat with the knowlege
that you put them first too.

I don't know where you are from, but in the Uk , you have the right to
ask for a prescription then go and buy it off the internet, rather
than from your vet direct,who will charge slightly more for stocking
it for you.
This saves a bit of money, That can add up to quite a bit with a multi
cat household, over time.
Just imagine how uncomfortable your poor cat's are feeling(
Please, do your best for them?
S;o)

Old January 11th 07, 12:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
hantayo

Maybe this list of places online can help. The cheapest was (at one time...)
the Pet Shed. And BTW I can't help but believe that Advantage had something
to do with my Toma girl's kidney disease - just an idea....
Kathy & Toma girl ( in spirit...)^.,.^

http://www.petshed.com/

http://www.1800petmeds.com/

http://www.DrsFosterSmith.com

http://www.petcarerx.com/

http://www.pets-megastore.com.au/

http://www.Fleameds.com

http://www.PetMedStore.com/

Toma girl's dedication web page:
http://showcase.netins.net/web/mothe...ky/toma8k.html
"All that moves is sacred - only by understanding this can you realize the
rhythm of the earth - thereby know how to place your feet...
http://showcase.netins.net/web/motherearthfathersky/

ps.com...

Old January 11th 07, 02:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Bryan,

I've seen lots of people say this, but cats live (hopefully) 20 years or
so. People's circumstances change from time to time. If finances change,
should the animals be given away immediately?

Very few people can predict their circumstances for the next 20 years so
by the reasoning below, maybe no one should rescue an animal.

Rhonda